Old 02-28-2019, 06:33 AM   #1

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
New anchor chain - before I wind it into the locker

Just replaced my anchor chain (~30metre galvanised 8mm short-link) with 50m of new chain. I've not brought the new chain into the anchor locker yet - have it all secured in the locker - but ran out of light before I could wind the length of it in. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions re: anchor locker before I filled it with chain.

For example - I've seen/heard mentioned somewhere that putting a traffic cone at the 'bottom of the pile' prevents the chain tangling. Anyone else heard this - or use this technique?

With 30m of chain, the locker was [at most] 1/3 full. I"m antipiating 50m of chain will not even 1/2 fill the locker. Chain descends vertically from the horizontal chain gypsy into the anchor locker.

Thanks in advance!

edit -> oh - and whilst I'm at it... swivel or no swivel at the anchor shackle? Opinions?

shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:28 AM   #2

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
I have 150’ of 5/16” HT chain; it has never tangled coming out of the locker. I can picture a traffic cone somehow coming loose and actually causing a jam. I use back-to-back 3/8” forged alloy shackles with the same breaking strength as my chain at the terminal end.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #3

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: Polaris 35
I have just replaced my 35mtrs of 10mm chain with new and I found I had 2x1gal buckets of rust flakes and other detrious to clean out before fitting the 55mtrs back in. You may already have this but I also have fixed a line from the pad eye at the bottom of the locker to the end of the anchor chain so in an emergency the line is long enough to appear at the windlass and can be cut if necessary rather than having to go into the locker and attempt to release the anchor chain shackle at the pad eye. I like the new chain though.
Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #4
Guru

Not sure if this is typical, but our pyramiding issue was on retrieve, not paying out. Someone had to open the hinged hatch in the fwd cabin and punch the bunch. Why not see if the added length creates a problem.
Swivels ! There`s a thread running right now.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:42 PM   #5

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
The traffic cone idea comes up when a certain chain locker design and a certain chain size and length combine to create a "castling" problem. You'll just have to load your chain and see.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #6
Guru

City: West Coast
On a prior boat, my chain got tangled from pounding into head seas for days on end. Although I finally got it untangled, I always put fenders in when under similar circumstances. I don't think you can get into trouble just by filling with new chain. I have 440' of chain and have never had a problem.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:50 PM   #7
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The way chains get tangled in the chain locker is when the locker is large enough to allow the chain to pile up on itself and then fall over. A tall narrow chain locker is less likely to have this problem.

The use of a traffic cone or other device in a large chain locker prevents the chain from piling up right in the middle where it can topple over on itself.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:50 AM   #8
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
It all depends on your locker shape and size. You should be fine with 50 metres of 10 mm. You're better off with nothing. Try it and see.

Same with a swivel. You're better off with nothing unless you really need one.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:11 AM   #9
Guru

I`ve wondered how members acquire the "traffic cone"? "It was just lying by the roadside Officer, abandoned, honestly,..."
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Here you go Bruce. Wouldn't want to see you in a pickle!

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/p...directFrom=Any

Shufti, AusCan has it right: don't add anything to the set-up that is not needed to fix an actual problem. You might want to put some paint (red?) on the end of the chain to warn you that it is just about all out. And do use some rope for the end of the chain to the pad-eye in the chain locker.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:10 AM   #11
FF
Guru

You might inspect to see if the base of the chain locker is above the water line , even when underway.

If it is you might put a pair of thru hulls to be able to wash the chain in place .

Mud free chain doesn't stink.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
And, obviously, mark the new chain with paint and telltales to indicate how much you have out. I am sure you intend to do this, but I didn’t see it mentioned.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Essington, PA.
Vessel Name: Nepidae
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
New anchor chain - before I wind it into the locker

Before loading chain in our locker, previously only had line (8 plait) I got some of that rubber paint, shown on TV doing gutters and sprayed it inside of the anchor locker, I cleaned it out & let it dry before painting.

Seems to be holding up well.

As was already said, mark your chain in lengths you will understand to easily establish the scope you want.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #14
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
I have periodically seen small traffic cones for sale at the big box stores and at some truck supply places. i would think any place that sells safety equipment, especially roadside safety, might be worth asking also.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #15
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Who thinks that a plastic, hollow traffic cone is not going to crush under the pressure of a significant length of chain?

I like to mark the "shots" of chain in whatever length I desire by winding large diameter copper wire salvaged from some old ROMEX around one side of the links. Choose your own pattern, but once done and the paint has flaked of and tell tales ripped off, you will forever be able to find the spots they occupied without having to roust out the entire length of chain.
rgano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #16
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
The question of how to mark chain comes up periodically. It boils down to what works for your application. I mark mine every 20 ft. with colored ty-raps. R-O-Y-G-B easy to remember, I attach 2, leave the tails on. They're easy to see as they pop up traveling through the gypsy. With 2, when they're worn, usually one pops off and I know it's time to replace. It only takes a few seconds and there's enough advance notice to plan to have the ties in hand. We do a LOT of anchoring, the ty-raps work well for us.

Tried the painting, too messy, doesn't last, and it's a project that requires removal of the chain. We have 400 ft, I reverse it every couple years, have had the chain and anchor both regalvanized.
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #17
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Hi, Steve. I tried the colored tie wraps a few times on the McMurry winch on the trawler, but they never lasted long. On this little bitty 1/4" chain on a Lewmar V700 windlass with its small clearances, tie wraps would spell disaster. Good thing it works well on your much larger rig. Nowadays, my rare anchoring consists of a lunch-hook afternoon down at the island with me paying out chain in a rather disultory manner to the point if looks of and the anchor catches. If I ever get serious about overnight anchoring or being absent while the boat is anchored, I will pay more attention to my copper wire wraps.

rgano is online now   Reply With Quote