Old 10-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #1

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Netflix on 3G

We like to watch a lot of movies while cruising and struggle with the Verizon imposed 15 GB limit on data transmitted to another device via the hot spot. I was told by one Verizon store that data was pretty much unlimited as long as it was used on the receiving device. I went into a different store to buy a tablet with a phone in it to replace my Jetpack MiFi device but was told this time that I will be bumped from 4G to 3G as soon as I reach the 15 GB limit. The rep said Netflix would be unwatchable at 3G speeds. I always respect someone who talks themselves out of a sale and commission but I’m wondering. We watch Netflix quite well on our cottage DSL connection which runs at less than 7 mps. So, does anyone here have experience watching Netflix or other streaming services over what they know was a 3G connection? Getting a straight and consistent answer from Verizon about anything is nearly impossible so I’m looking for some real world data points.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Take a look at T-Mobile for 4G data, some plans include Netflix and in most areas their network is very fast. Verizon is closing their 3G network next year and has stopped activating new numbers on it.

3G speeds are HD friendly.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: NC
We have awful DSL speeds at home and Centurylink refuses to update the network even though they have taken tax payer funds to do so. Their reliability stinks as well but they are the only service provider so we just have to deal with them.

We have a whopping 1.5 mbps and we can stream video. We will get a pause every now and then but I don't know if it is the network or server. One big improvement for streaming was better devices. Our first DVD player that streamed would pause too often. Now we use an Amazon Fire and the pauses are all but gone. I think the difference is in the amount of memory the devices have for buffering.

On thing we discussed, but never did, was some of the Kindles Fires will allow you to down load content to the Kindle and replay it later. My understanding is that some Kindles can be attached to a TV/monitor. So it would seem one could download the videos to the Kindle where there was fast Internet and then replay on the TV later. We never tried it but it would seem to work. I cannot remember if the Kindle streaming support was only for Amazon Prime video or if it would support Netflix.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #4

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 (1998)
We use the Netflix download feature on a laptop that we take. Typically we download dozens of shows ahead of a cruise or when we have access to fast WiFi.
NWSeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #5

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
I stopped at yet another Verizon store and get yet another version but they suggested I dial 611 from my phone which takes you directly to the mothership. Great resource. The rep there confirmed, after my taking her through it three times, that there are now limits up to 22 GB on a device which is not re-transmitting the data wirelessly to another device. After 22 GM they might slow you down if you are on a busy or congested tower but that will not often be encountered. She also confirmed that, if the device can send its signal via a wire, such as HDMI, it will not trigger the 15 GB limit. I'm off to buy a tablet.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I use:
Cyberonic Internet Communications, Inc.
544 Pleasant Street
Worcester, MA 01602
888-359-4545
https://cyberonic.com/
They have a service designed for rural areas (you may need a rural address) that buys time on major cell towers. They have 4G LTE and provide a modem and external antenna. The service is unlimited. I've used it for about 6 months, view Netflix, etc., and had no issues. I haven't had to use the external antenna, just the small antenna on the modem.

While it is intended as a service for home use, I have found I can connect anywhere there is a cell tower that matches the modem. Sometimes I have to move the modem to a window. The carriers include Verizon, AT&T, and so on. The modem works only with one provider. Cost is $110/month.

I have a Amazon FireTV stick on my tv that links wirelessly to the modem and can connect to a variety of online tv services.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
We like to watch a lot of movies while cruising and struggle with the Verizon imposed 15 GB limit on data transmitted to another device via the hot spot. I was told by one Verizon store that data was pretty much unlimited as long as it was used on the receiving device. I went into a different store to buy a tablet with a phone in it to replace my Jetpack MiFi device but was told this time that I will be bumped from 4G to 3G as soon as I reach the 15 GB limit. The rep said Netflix would be unwatchable at 3G speeds. I always respect someone who talks themselves out of a sale and commission but I’m wondering. We watch Netflix quite well on our cottage DSL connection which runs at less than 7 mps. So, does anyone here have experience watching Netflix or other streaming services over what they know was a 3G connection? Getting a straight and consistent answer from Verizon about anything is nearly impossible so I’m looking for some real world data points.
Din’t use a hotspot. Buy a router with cellular modem. Pick your brand but I really like the Cradlepoint MBR1200 for a bit over $200

Then your carrier does not know how much data any one device uses.

I watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, hulu, and Itunes. All I have is my cellular data and I’m on the boat pretty much full time.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #8

City: South Louisiana
What are you watching the movies on?
I had the same issue at the camp. I was using my phone as a hot spot to let the kids watch movies on my lap top.
One day when I was in Best Buy I saw a Apple Lightning plug to HDMI. Now all I do is mirror my IPhone to the TV using the HDMI converter.
If you have an Android you could probably find something similar.

Not the one I bought but I think it would work the same.
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightni.../dp/B009WHV3BM
latravcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
What are you watching the movies on?
I had the same issue at the camp. I was using my phone as a hot spot to let the kids watch movies on my lap top.
One day when I was in Best Buy I saw a Apple Lightning plug to HDMI. Now all I do is mirror my IPhone to the TV using the HDMI converter.
If you have an Android you could probably find something similar.

Not the one I bought but I think it would work the same.
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightni.../dp/B009WHV3BM

That’s much less expensive than getting an Apple TV and airplaying or mirroring the movie wirelessly.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #10
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
You can install a Google Chrome Cast device on your TV and have it show whatever is on your laptop or tablet. You install the software on your chrome browser, and connect chrome cast to the TV via HDMI and power, and now you can click the icon in the top toolbar and mirror your screen to the TV. Works on almost all services that run in a browser.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote