Old 04-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #41

City: Langley, BC
Vessel Model: 28' Fiberform
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
That's a N86.
I saw her big sister (Nordhavn 120) in Port Moody, Vancouver once. Nice boat!
Old 04-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #42

City: Manahawkin, NJ
Ok I just needed toost this link. My husband does not even know I am on his iPad so any complaints/ criticisms that he gets are going to be a mystery to him.
Forgive me as I have never posted here before and may not be following appropriate forum protocol.
http://youtu.be/w2X3vVMdh-s
DocMolarboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:59 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMolarboater View Post
Ok I just needed toost this link. My husband does not even know I am on his iPad so any complaints/ criticisms that he gets are going to be a mystery to him.
Forgive me as I have never posted here before and may not be following appropriate forum protocol.
http://youtu.be/w2X3vVMdh-s
Great movie and one of my favorite scenes, but you just posted his post #1 and now he's getting the emails that we're responding! This should be fun to watch!! You two might as well introduce yourselves!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:36 AM   #44
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
My biggest want now is continued good health and enough time to get out on my boat as often as possible. The rest is gravy.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:02 AM   #45
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Oh....you say that now, Richard. Just wait til the honeymoon's over!

If you feel like an Angel Island trip in the next week or so, let me know.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #46

City: Manahawkin, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Great movie and one of my favorite scenes, but you just posted his post #1 and now he's getting the emails that we're responding! This should be fun to watch!! You two might as well introduce yourselves!

Oohhkaay. I am Gabi and this IPad belongs to my husband John. Newbies to the forum and to trawlers in general. We are here because we just sold our business and are selling our house and downsizing enough to buy a liveaboard style trawler. We "want" to do the loop. We "need" to do the loop. We have had our noses to the grindstone in the viscous cycle of working just to work. It is time to stop working and start living.
We now live on a lagoon in Manahawkin NJ in the house we rebuilt after Hurricane Sandy had her way with us.
We are researching trawlers and hope to purchase one before we get too deep into the summer. Of the two of us I am the minimalist John, not so much. This makes our search for the right trawler difficult. All suggestions welcome!
Next week we will be attending the Great Loop Rendezvous in Norfolk Virgina so anyone here who may be headed there.... Look for us.
Nice to meet ya!
DocMolarboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #47
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #48
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMolarboater View Post
Next week we will be attending the Great Loop Rendezvous in Norfolk Virgina so anyone here who may be headed there.... Look for us.
Nice to meet ya!
A great place to get an idea of what others are using to do the loop. Still there are a wide variety of loop capable boats so try not to let any one or two enthusiasts over influence you. It's not about the right boat. It's about the right boat for the two of you. All boats are compromise to start with so the fact some compromise necessary between the two of you isn't unusual.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #49
Wannabe

Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Oh....you say that now, Richard. Just wait til the honeymoon's over!

If you feel like an Angel Island trip in the next week or so, let me know.
Hah - you're probably right - but don't burst my bubble just yet!

I'm expecting to be anchoring at Paradise Cove tomorrow (Saturday) night. I should arrive in the afternoon sometime. Stop by if you're in the area.

I like Angel Island too - but it's going to be easier to anchor single-handed than to pick up a mooring buoy with my boat's freeboard! I'll probably either need crew or a flotilla of dinghies to greet me when I arrive...

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #50
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Wow. Needs vs Wants. My life is filled with Wants. Not so much with needs.

If I keep it to boating related N&W's it could still be long. I had a 20' bowrider but wanted something bigger. I ended up with a 33' express cruiser. Then I wanted something bigger. I ended up with the 60' Sea Ray I now have. Then I wanted more 'stuff' on it so I added a bow thruster, exhaust water separator, inverter, better electronics....you get the picture.

Then I fell in love with a Boston Whaler and found a 2010 13' Super Sport that I wanted. We had fun with it so I got another 13'er, a 1971 Whaler Sport for use down in AZ where we spend the winters.

Then I wanted a better GPS for the 1971 so I got a Garmin DownVue and loved it. So I got one for the 2010 but haven't installed it yet.

Want vs Need? I'm definitely a Want kinda guy.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #51
Guru

Aside from the basic hull and a propulsion system there are only a few needs and some of those are required by CG or State law. After that the list is small and even some of those items can be questioned as needs. A bucket-a bunk-a chart-a compass-an anchor and rode. The 18 footer pictured with a two banger Beta diesel does not even have the bucket or compass yet, but add them and charts and it can easily do Seattle to Alaska since it has the basic needs. Most of the trawler set would have to tow a house boat to satisfy the old lady and fill in on the want list. The little boat pictured is way to the left on the boat cottage ratio, and may I note very fuel efficient even when the engine is running. The reality is that most trawlers are about filling a long want list, and I admit I do own one of those full of goodies. By the way this little boat is named K.I.S.S.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0608.JPG  
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:39 PM   #52
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
. Most of the trawler set would have to tow a house boat to satisfy the old lady and fill in on the want list.
Wifey B: "OLD LADY?" Darn, whiny little boy.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #53
Art
Guru

Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: "OLD LADY?" Darn, whiny little boy.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:37 AM   #54
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Most of the time, the wants create the needs.

My wife "wanted" an inflatable stand up paddleboard, which came with a hand pump. It requires more force than she has available to inflate it to 15psi.

She found that she then "needed" a $250 electric pump for the times I am not around.

The same applies to much of the needs with a boat. It all started by wanting a boat that needs insurance and maintenance and basic safety gear. Then we want options that need extra batteries and a generator. Then we want a dinghy that needs davits and motor.

"Needing" something is a way of justifying something to ourselves. (It works for me)
I would say that most (perhaps all) of us are a long way past actually needing anything. The only exception I can think of may be someone who needs a boat to keep their sanity. Sometimes I use this as a justification.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:58 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Most of the time, the wants create the needs.

I would say that most (perhaps all) of us are a long way past actually needing anything. The only exception I can think of may be someone who needs a boat to keep their sanity. Sometimes I use this as a justification.
Since I own a few boats my sanity must certainly be in question. I don't even know enough to care I like the boats who needs sanity when you can have boats.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:20 PM   #56
Art
Guru

Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Boats are for we who refuse to not usually create/accept "yes" for most answers to ours as well as our beloveds' and our boats' life fulfilling wants and needs.

Happy Boating Daze!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote