Old 04-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I needed my Seaweed for my happiness quotient. I would be miserable without my home.

I pay $60 per month for 7 gigs of wifi via Verizon. It was lonely without my imaginary friends (that'd be you)

That's a definite want and a pleasure too.
I'd say my Kindle is a want that became a need. I've run out of books while living on the hook so having a plethora of choices at my fingertips is an amazing thing. I love the Kindle.
We all should feel honored, as you seem a fine person. Thanks for that portion of your post!

Continue enjoying life... Art

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #22
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I want a broadband radar, but it just wouldn't look right on my 1936 boat so I haven't equipped the boat with it yet. That said, the way I use the boat, if I wake up somewhere and am fogged in, I just wait the fog out. It never lasts more than 2-3 days.

I need to apply two coats of varnish on the cabin house and transom. I just have to get off this chair and do it.

TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
My Rocna anchor, my Bruce anchor (now the backup) was perfectly adequate, but it wasn't new technology. When it comes to anchors, you need something more than adequate.

Ted
Aha, a glimmer of truth for the 1000s of "I want" anchor posts.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
I want a broadband radar, but it just wouldn't look right on my 1936 boat so I haven't equipped the boat with it yet. That said, the way I use the boat, if I wake up somewhere and am fogged in, I just wait the fog out. It never lasts more than 2-3 days.

I need to apply two coats of varnish on the cabin house and transom. I just have to get off this chair and do it.
I believe the broadband dome is pretty light...how about a temporary mount?

any of the smaller domes are light enough for a temp mount...I would if I was cruising more than a small circle around home port.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:07 AM   #25
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I'll never claim to be 'book smart' and never did well academically, but I've noticed through my life that I have a need for delving into, and understanding, complex systems.

Photography is a perfect example. All started normally, then moved to large format, then came Ansel Adams' Zone System method of exposure and development. This was further refined by David Kachel's modification of the Sterry Method, called Selective Latent Image Manipulation Technique (SLIMT), which uses a pre bath of highly dilute bleach before development for reducing contrast in negatives only in the high tones while leaving shadow contrast minimally affected. Next came making and using sharp and unsharp masks as discovered by Christopher Burkett and further refined by Lynn Radeka. When Kodak went digital I switched to Ilford film and paper, and started making my own chemistry from scratch.

Now, with our first boat, having no prior mechanical or electrical experience of any kind, you can imagine how happy I am trying to understand it all. Therefore, I need our boat
Old 04-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Some liveaboard and it's their only major possession.

Want or need?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #27
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I never wanted to have a boat. Apparently, I needed to please my Admiral (or else) and suffer greatly over the unnecessary reconstruction of this vessel. Out of this need came all the stress and strife a guy could ever want.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #28
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I believe the broadband dome is pretty light...how about a temporary mount?

any of the smaller domes are light enough for a temp mount...I would if I was cruising more than a small circle around home port.
I could build a temporary mount, but the radar would still look out of place. On top of that I would have to deal with cable runs and put in a multifunction display, which would look wrong at my helm. I use a netbook with a gps puck as a plotter now for that reason.

If it looks like it might be foggy, I will just take the new (1973) boat which has all that stuff.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #29
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Needs vs. Wants

What about Furuno's new wifi radar you use with an iPad? Only needs a power cable which can be adapted to a cigarette lighter plug.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:09 PM   #30
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I'll never claim to be 'book smart' and never did well academically, but I've noticed through my life that I have a need for delving into, and understanding, complex systems.

Photography is a perfect example. All started normally, then moved to large format, then came Ansel Adams' Zone System method of exposure and development. This was further refined by David Kachel's modification of the Sterry Method, called Selective Latent Image Manipulation Technique (SLIMT), which uses a pre bath of highly dilute bleach before development for reducing contrast in negatives only in the high tones while leaving shadow contrast minimally affected. Next came making and using sharp and unsharp masks as discovered by Christopher Burkett and further refined by Lynn Radeka. When Kodak went digital I switched to Ilford film and paper, and started making my own chemistry from scratch.

Now, with our first boat, having no prior mechanical or electrical experience of any kind, you can imagine how happy I am trying to understand it all. Therefore, I need our boat
Excellent Post!

You seem very content with your lot in life. More than can be said of many...
Old 04-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Wants often have a way of becoming needs. I installed an inverter and added a second fridge. Definitely a want at the time, but it has become an Admiral need, so it's been elevated in status. Bought a spare inverter to cover the potential failure of this new found need.

When I bought my boat, I was in the CA Delta with its levees rising 10-15 ft above the water. I needed a flybridge. Now that I boat much of my time in the cooler and windy waters of the SF, San Pablo and Suisun Bays, I no longer need the FB. It's great storage space that I want to keep and make good use of, though, and is now referred to as "the attic".

When shopping for a boat, neither radar nor autopilot were on my want list, but both were on the boat I purchased. They have both proven themselves so useful that both are now on my needs list and if they failed, would be replaced immediately.

At this point in time, I have few needs on my boat except for good maintenance which I perform. My "want" list has shrunken to insignificant improvements. I'm a lucky man!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #32
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
I need to fix that leak in the aft stateroom(actually that is a silly term for a small aft cabin with a cosy en suite)because I want a dry bed!
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
At this point in time, I have few needs on my boat except for good maintenance which I perform. My "want" list has shrunken to insignificant improvements. I'm a lucky man!!
Old 04-29-2015, 09:08 PM   #34
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Wants often have a way of becoming needs. I installed an inverter and added a second fridge. Definitely a want at the time, but it has become an Admiral need, so it's been elevated in status. Bought a spare inverter to cover the potential failure of this new found need.

When I bought my boat, I was in the CA Delta with its levees rising 10-15 ft above the water. I needed a flybridge. Now that I boat much of my time in the cooler and windy waters of the SF, San Pablo and Suisun Bays, I no longer need the FB. It's great storage space that I want to keep and make good use of, though, and is now referred to as "the attic".

When shopping for a boat, neither radar nor autopilot were on my want list, but both were on the boat I purchased. They have both proven themselves so useful that both are now on my needs list and if they failed, would be replaced immediately.

Hi Al - I agree with you regarding being a lucky man - and wife!

Only items I'm currently adding to my boat are relitively minimal... because the way we use it for gentle cruising, swimming and relaxation it needs virtually nothing. Most recent purchase was for redundancy on an item I use every anchor out - which is nearly every time we are aboard. That item is a 1970's 3500 lb "Powerwinch" windless in absolute new condition... never used! It is an exact replacement to the original windlass on our Tolly. The current one has begun acting up slightly and it's great to have a “plug-in” duplicate. Still in shipping box with instructions, parts list, 90 day warrantee card and its white cover. Few and far between do you locate cherries such as this. Price was pennies on the dollar for anything similar. I think even a bit less that its 1970's cost??

Boating Cheers! - Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windless.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	39710  
Old 04-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Hmm everything we did in the galley other than replace the counter top. We took out the stove/oven and replaced with a smooth surface range with dishwasher drawer below and got a convection microwave to replace the oven.

Added a reversing kit to the windlass and have a remote control kit still to install. Could have lived without.

Bought a ski boat.

I'm sure there's tons more. We need a new bimini though.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #36

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Thought this would b interesting;

What did you buy for your boating lifestyle that represents a "want," rather than a "need?"

I'll lead off with my new Garmin Autopilot Wireless Remote. Definitely a want, not a need.

And here's another want. Not sure what it is but I sure do want it! (Nordy?)
That Nordhavn pic looks like it was taken on the back side of Star Island heading in Lake Montauk in Montauk, NY?

Am I close?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #37
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
A Pullman berth--where one person has to crawl over the other (which I rather enjoy )--was a deal-breaker for my wife. If I wanted to boat with her I needed to find something with an island queen. Happy spouse = happy boat.

For me, a stand-up (or nearly so) engine room is a want that has become a need. It also doubles as a man-cave and, as much time as I spend there, I cannot imagine going back to crouching.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #38
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
I wanted a new C7 Corvette...I NEEDED a boat.
Sold the car, bought the boat. It all ended well..

Now to deal with the boat "Wants"....:-)
It's just like modding a car (for me)...It never ends!
Old 04-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #39
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
I wanted a new C7 Corvette...I NEEDED a boat.
Sold the car, bought the boat. It all ended well..

Now to deal with the boat "Wants"....:-)
It's just like modding a car...It never ends!
Our boat's wants: Exterior paint touch up with full-on simonize buffing / Haul and bottom paint / Constant love.

This season we'll provide all the love it can handle... the rest can wait till our same wants become our needs that get in sync with our boat's wants.

Happy Summer-Boating Daze!! - Art
Old 04-30-2015, 12:47 PM   #40

Boats

I have an inflatable to get out to the mooring but I WANTED something easier and more comfortable so I picked up this 15 foot diesel launch. No bailing. Just jump in, turn the key and go. One of the best things I have done to make life on the mooring easier. I decided I want to go faster to fish at times so I bought a 17 foot shamrock center console project for next Winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1364.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	39767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1373.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	39768  

Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote