Needing some opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpinnn

Vessel Name
Periwinkle
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
I reciently found the perfect boat, or so I thought. A Gulfstar Mkll priced right and looks great with everything I want. Ok, so talk to the broker, and yes it is what the add says, or so he claims. Add says ready to go head to the Bahamas. Well I don't want to go to the Bahamas but I do want to get it to Buzzards Bay in Massachusetts. So now make offer, it is accepted, and I am now under agreement with a survey scheduled. My plan, do visual, followed by survey and sea trial. If all is well, do paperwork and head up the ICW. I know long trip and I need to do a lot of planning. Probably three weeks and do in multiple stages with completiling sometime in late September. Yes I also know about hurricane season and am somewhat concerned but with proper planning and a constant eye to the weather I figured a houl out if necessary is possible. Or, do I truck it. Well upon telling the broker abut my plan to motor the ready to go trawler he informs me he would nodo it because of the boats age and who knows what could go wrong. Ok, I am a little bemifed byt the comment about a perfect redy to travel boat but with posible hurricanes trucking could be my best bet. Well yes it can be trucked and mountains can be moved but not very economically. Sooo, back to the idea of motoring. Just when I am about to start planning the trip a trucker calls and in the discussion with him he informs me that many people get part way and call for him to truck the rest of the way. Also, he claims there aren't many marinas on the ICW capable of haulig a 16000 lb 36 ft trawler in case of hurricane. I am stumped. Going to see the boat July 29th. This thing better be real good or all bets are off. Anyone have any suggestions. Would love to talk to someone who has done the ICW.

Ken

Wow, sorry about the typo or incorrect word usage for ad.

Get a good survey and fix the items needed. Plan ahead for the whole trip. Never rush. Enjoy the trip. Tons of marinas to haul vessel if needed. If you inspect and fix anything needed, bent prop, loose bering, sloppy rudder mounts. Make sure all water intakes are clear and sea strainers flushed out. Clean fuel, clean oil and air. Spare raw water pump and belts that may be needed. Watch your charts and depth finder. Head north and enjoy the ride. There is a Gulfstar club. Get in touch with them and ask about built in problems or weak spots to watch out for. Have a great trip. Do Not Be Afraid to ask what you may think is a silly question..

Just ran Jersey to Florida and back last winter...the trucker is clueless.

If the motor starts well and runs pretty good...you could make the trip no big deal.

I found my boat on craigs list 2 years ago...flew down one day looked her over. Made an offer and flew back. Got a survey, went down a couple weeks later, shook hands, wired the money.....stayed for dinner with the PO and slept on the boat...left for Charleston the next morning. Hardly anything worked correctly...but the engine chugged along. Left it for 2 months in Charleston till the ice cleared the Chesapeake and finished the trip in early April.

Sure things could have gone wrong...but they didn't based on the fact I knew the boat was used regularly and full of fresh fuel. The sanitation system was a disaster as well as no working electronics except a VHF.

The intracoastal is full of marinas and lots of help along the way. Buy Sea Tow or Boat US towing for around $170 and go for it...if you are an experienced boater it will be no big deal. If not...take one along with you as a coach. If you don't know anyone...hire a capt...not all that expensive and the training you get MIGHT be worth it.

I agree the trucker is just trying to get more work for himself and the broker also raises my eyebrows by his comments.

The ICW is one of the easiest waterways around if you are prepared and do your homework, just like flying a private plane let the weather be your guide not your calender. You will have a blast and make sure you take your camera you wont regret it.

There are also other certified captains like me out there who you can hire if need be but truly you will enjoy the trip just make sure you choose the surveyor and check his / her references well.

3 very experienced boaters above have given you very good sound advice. If that boat is "ready to go to the Bahamas" why is this broker waffling about a trip up the ICW?

Worst case scenario I can see if the boat checks out and surveys well is you hire a skipper to bring it home for you if you doubt you can(or can't find an experienced friend to help you do it). That has to be far cheaper than trucking it and the hired gun wont run stages it'll be one continuous trip home.

actually...trucking might be cheaper...unless you cruise really slow, avoid marinas and let your friends pay their own way.

but that's usually not the point in owning a boat....:thumb:

actually...trucking might be cheaper...

You may have found my retirement calling for me in a few years then. :thumb::thumb: I priced trucking companies but never delivery skippers. It appears I need to do some research in this area.

I plan on retiring the current career for something part time and with a lower stress level. It may be time for me to start coursework on a six pack license?

Delivery captain is a hard way to make a living but fun if the money isn't an issue.

While most get the job done...there are so many people out there with capt licenses...that there's probably only one in 50 that are truly good, really experienced/professional AND can take care of the boat to boot.

Do you know you don't need a capt license to deliver boats?

Ken,
All the above are right on, as I just did what you're contemplating.

Offer on boat in February, survey, closed in March, spent a month doing work on boat by mechanic who had been working in it fir the previous 6 years, started north May 1st.

Got BoatUS top package. Only used it once, maybe twice:eek:

Arrived in nyc three weeks after departure.

The last week, alone.

Lessons learned, many.
First ten days nothing but rain and wind with 5ft waves crossing every sound.

Was it worth it? Yes, a great learning experience. I got tons of experience I needed and if I had hired someone, I works still have to learn it.

Go for it.

The real point here is that learning takes work and risk.

Richard

Don't be intimidated about running the ICW. You can do it. It is not rocket science. Most of the bottom is very forgiving. The chance of a disaster is near zero. Besides, it is a wonderful trip. The more time you have to savor the more enjoyable it will be. You will learn much and not just about your boat. Don't miss the chance.

Lots of marinas along the way on that trip. Trick is to get a good survey(or), repair the critical/important items; then go. Keep an eye on the weather, use Active Captain, etc. & enjoy the adventure. Boats are rarely, if ever, perfect. But they sure are interesting to deal with. Don't hurry. remember that you can park it along the way someplace & go back in the Spring to finish the trip if you have to.

You bought a boat, now use it! Using a trucker is what the rich floating condo types people do! Make the trip & you will learn more in those three weeks than you will in a season.

Delivery captain is a hard way to make a living but fun if the money isn't an issue.

While most get the job done...there are so many people out there with capt licenses...that there's probably only one in 50 that are truly good, really experienced/professional AND can take care of the boat to boot.

Do you know you don't need a capt license to deliver boats?

You dont need a Capt license to deliver however most insurance companies wont cover your vessel if its involved in an accident and is moved by anyone other than the owner or a licensed Captain.

Wait a minute - did you buy this boat sight unseen?

Did I miss something?

Wait a minute - did you buy this boat sight unseen?

"So now make offer, it is accepted, and I am now under agreement with a survey scheduled. My plan, do visual, followed by survey and sea trial. If all is well, do paperwork and head up the ICW."

It sounds like he did???

Bought a boat sight unseen? I've only done that twice, but only from builders for a new boat, not a used one.

You dont need a Capt license to deliver however most insurance companies wont cover your vessel if its involved in an accident and is moved by anyone other than the owner or a licensed Captain.

And some won't cover a licensed captain...weird but true...best to read your policy.

If you want a particular model...buying unseen might be in the cards as some go so fast they don't sometimes even hit the net/mags. As long as the offer/contract has the right wording for refusal or your offer price takes into account a major redo...then it may be the only way to get what you want fast.

Last edited:
So now make offer, it is accepted, and I am now under agreement with a survey scheduled. My plan, do visual, followed by survey and sea trial. If all is well, do paperwork and head up the ICW.
I did the same thing on a 30' Mainship some years ago. After the offer was accepted, I traveled to Oxnard for my first inspection and a survey of the boat. The offer was (in writing) subject to my complete satisfaction after inspection and survey. I paid for the boat, drove her to Catalina for the night and continued the next day to San Diego.

It sounds like this OP is doing the same thing. :popcorn:

No not bought sight unseen. I made an offer based on the boat being what the ad says it is. The offer was accepted. I will get an eyeball on the boat the 29th and survey the 30th. See a customer in Melbourne on the 31st and depending on the survey head up the ICW the 1st or 2nd. The process of setting up the logistics has been informative at the least. I am relatively knew to boating (third year) My first experience was a 150 mile trip down the CT river and on to Buzzards Bay Mass. That was educational and a great trip. I expect the ICW will be the same. I am no stranger to trips of this sort since I have ferryed aircraft for people from tim to time. A lot of preplanning makes the trip safe, same as the ICW I suspect. Only difference when an engine fails in an aircraft you need to find a place to land while, well in a boat it is a little less dramatic. Ok, enough. Next question, I gulfstar have discovered that growth in the tanks can be a problem. Have a gas guy checking this out, polish or replace fuel. I know the Gulfstar has a fiberglass tank. I assumed being fiberglass, corrosion and deterioration was not an issue. Well the gas guy says not so. Still I have not seen many Gulfstars with the mention of a tank replacement while this seems to be common with the trawlers using steel tanks. Has anyone had problems with the tanks in the Gulfstar? Should I be looking carefuly at the tank or is this not a major point of weakness in these models?

No not bought sight unseen. I made an offer based on the boat being what the ad says it is. The offer was accepted. I will get an eyeball on the boat the 29th and survey the 30th. See a customer in Melbourne on the 31st and depending on the survey head up the ICW the 1st or 2nd. The process of setting up the logistics has been informative at the least. I am relatively knew to boating (third year) My first experience was a 150 mile trip down the CT river and on to Buzzards Bay Mass. That was educational and a great trip. I expect the ICW will be the same. I am no stranger to trips of this sort since I have ferryed aircraft for people from tim to time. A lot of preplanning makes the trip safe, same as the ICW I suspect. Only difference when an engine fails in an aircraft you need to find a place to land while, well in a boat it is a little less dramatic. Ok, enough. Next question, I gulfstar have discovered that growth in the tanks can be a problem. Have a gas guy checking this out, polish or replace fuel. I know the Gulfstar has a fiberglass tank. I assumed being fiberglass, corrosion and deterioration was not an issue. Well the gas guy says not so. Still I have not seen many Gulfstars with the mention of a tank replacement while this seems to be common with the trawlers using steel tanks. Has anyone had problems with the tanks in the Gulfstar? Should I be looking carefuly at the tank or is this not a major point of weakness in these models?
Is it diesel?

If diesel...you should have no problem with integral fiberglass tanks unless the PO was running a high biodiesel blend or pure biodiesel...even then I'm not sure what issues you may have...I haven't read any specific discussions on biodiesel and certain era fiberglass tanks.

If diesel you shouldn't have any problems...even issues with biodiesel straight or in blends really hasn't been well experienced or published yet...

I'm curious to what the "gas guy" thinks...but yes the diesel could be severely fouled with biomass.

If your boat is federally documented your schedule maybe a little agressive even if paying in cash unless you want to not worry about receiving the USCG blessing after they run the title to make sure there are no outstanding liens on your new boat.

On a good day that may take several days after acceptance of survey and sea trial, or if there is a problem like on my current boat it took 6 weeks to cure due to title finding a mistake in the doc number.

Either way good luck

USCG documentation may list all financial institution liens/owners/preferred mortgages and MAYBE "federal arrests" but may not have mechanics liens or other small business lien information...so you really roll the dice even when buying through a broker....unless you do a massive search yourself, there is really not much protection.

MARITIME LIEN FAQ

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Does anything special have to be done to create a maritime lien?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The filing of appropriate documents with the National Vessel Documentation Center is needed to create a preferred ship mortgage lien. All other liens arise spontaneously upon the provision of goods or services to the vessel or other maritime property, or upon the commission of the accident or other event that gives rise to a liability secured by the lien. Since there is no need to file, there is no reliable means of discovering all liens that may exist against a vessel. Liens not of record are called "secret liens."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What are some examples of debts and liabilities that may be secured by a maritime lien on a vessel?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Charges for goods and services rendered to the vessel (referred to as "necessaries"), such as moorage, fuel and other consumables, maintenance, repairs, and some types of insurance premiums; towage; seamen’s wages; salvage; liability to repair dock and collision damage; liability to compensate for personal injury and boating accidents; and maintenance, cure and unearned wages owed to former crewmen.[/FONT]

Last edited:
USCG documentation may list all financial institution liens/owners/preferred mortgages and MAYBE "federal arrests" but may not have mechanics liens or other small business lien information...so you really roll the dice even when buying through a broker....unless you do a massive search yourself, there is really not much protection.

MARITIME LIEN FAQ

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Does anything special have to be done to create a maritime lien?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The filing of appropriate documents with the National Vessel Documentation Center is needed to create a preferred ship mortgage lien. All other liens arise spontaneously upon the provision of goods or services to the vessel or other maritime property, or upon the commission of the accident or other event that gives rise to a liability secured by the lien. Since there is no need to file, there is no reliable means of discovering all liens that may exist against a vessel. Liens not of record are called "secret liens."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What are some examples of debts and liabilities that may be secured by a maritime lien on a vessel?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Charges for goods and services rendered to the vessel (referred to as "necessaries"), such as moorage, fuel and other consumables, maintenance, repairs, and some types of insurance premiums; towage; seamen’s wages; salvage; liability to repair dock and collision damage; liability to compensate for personal injury and boating accidents; and maintenance, cure and unearned wages owed to former crewmen.[/FONT]

Thats why I use a marine title search company that guarantees good title and in the contract states that they will reimburse for any unfound liens that cause damage to the buyer. Although it costs a few hundred dollars for them to do all the paper work it certainly paid off on my last purchase.

Kpinn,
We did the trip you describe a few years ago. We found our boat inline. We flew to Florida and did a walk-thru. We made an offer based on survey and sea trial. Both were ok. We settled on the boat via fax and wire transfer. Ten days later we left the west coast of FLA headed to Maryland. The first week we moved the boat to Melbourne FL, we came home, worked for a month, went back to FLA and moved the Boat to Charleston, SC. Another month working and then flew to Charleston and moved the boat to Maryland. It was a great trip, a great way to learn the boat and no problems at all. The one thing I would highly recommend is a copy of Skipper Bob's ICW Guides.
We did discover the PO had, had fuel line problems and so did we. I would make sure you have spare fuel filters.
We found one vacuflush did not work...learned to fix that.
We called marinas along the way and politely asked for docking assistance and/or T-pier ends, until we got more comfortable backing into slips.
I absolutely would not have it trucked. We did run outside some but mostly ICW.

Enjoy the boat and the trip.

I have a friend who is a delivery captain. After I was through cruising on the sailboat, and bored, I helped him do a couple of deliveries. Both times he was asked to deliver a boat which had been bought in Florida and to be delivered up in Yankeeland (Maryland in one case, New York in the other). Both boats would have made good artificial reefs, most likely, but had little to recommend them otherwise. My friend is a jack-of-all-trades and has been messing with boats since he was a wee tad (his father was a shrimper). Certainly earned his money, because every night after we anchored he would have to work on stuff. (Why is this relevant? Hey, I don't know. Just seemed to call for it, I guess. :)

John

I have already started the title search due to the time issues. At worst if I decide not to buy, I will loose the $250.00. If I do decise to buy we sill simply owe the balance of the documentation service fee. Yes the boat is diesel and I plan to have the fuel polished or replaced and then the tank treated. Fuel guy seems to know what to use on not to use. Also bringing extra filters was well as belts and impellers. This boat has twin 62 HP perkins. If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom