Old 08-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #101
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I spent over 2 hours this afternoon ungrounding the NJ Division of Taxation boat that was out checking.

I'll never be paying sales tax on a boat again...

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #102
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
I wasn't suggesting that anybody evade taxes jackazz! I was making a statement to the fact that there are many stupid laws on the books that cannot be enforced. Send me a copy of your tax return and I'll bet you money you did not do it right and cheated the government! BTW, do you file a use tax for all that stuff you buy on the internet and don't pay sales tax? Sleep on that one!

I wont call you any names please feel free to act the same, unless you need to in order to communicate it which case I understand.

It was clear what you were implying so don't try to be cute and suggest otherwise.

As for the comments about my tax's, I won't dignify them with a response.

Good day,

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #103
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Edelweiss

Very much the same here as well
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #104
Guru

kpinn,
Take a deep breath, go through the suggestions, don`t throw the baby out with the bathwater. Look for the best (? least worst) solution.
Governments think boat owners are rich and ripe for taxing. You`d hope for better state to state arrangements, looks like they are anything but, and you were given poor initial advice. You have to find the best of a bad situation.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #105
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there one political party in this country that feels that almost all matters should be left up to the individual states rather than the Federal government.
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #106
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there one political party in this country that feels that almost all matters should be left up to the individual states rather than the Federal government.
Is that an argument for a one-world government?
Old 08-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #107
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
I knew this string was going to be trouble when I saw the title, "Needing some opinions". Because you can see, no one on this board has any "opinons!!"
Old 08-24-2013, 02:05 AM   #108
Guru

A guy is walking along a beach when he comes across a lamp partially buried in the sand.

He picks up the lamp and gives it a rub.

A genie appears and tells him he has been granted one wish.

The guy thinks for a moment and says, "I want to live forever."

"Sorry," said the genie, "I'm not allowed to grant eternal life."

"OK, then, I want to die after a Labor government balances the budget and eliminates the debt."

"You crafty little bastard," said the genie..
Old 08-24-2013, 02:43 AM   #109
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
I knew this string was going to be trouble when I saw the title, "Needing some opinions". Because you can see, no one on this board has any "opinons!!"
I've learned to be very specific as to the subject matter I was seeking opinions on to

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #110

City: Thorndike
Vessel Name: Periwinkle
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Wow!!! I think there is a lot of misunderstanding. This is not about not wanting to pay the tax. It is about wanting to do the right thing and not being told the way to do it. It appears that since I PAID for the 90 day extension due to my sincere plans to move North, as can be seen by the pase posts in this thread, I will be fined if I now go to Florida and ask to pay the sales tax. It is also about being able to leave a boat in any state dueing incliment weather and or personal conditions that may not allow you to move on. Scott, Mass doesn't require a registration for boats with haleing ports in the state or maybe it is if you are a resident. The point is that to apply for a Soljoourner registration in Florida you need to present a registration. I do not have one because Mass does not require one. Again this is simple. I own a boat and I am preceding with the paperwork as is required, taxes etc. I do not mind paying for the abulity to continue to support Floridas economy by having work done and storage in the state until I can go North safely in March or April. What could be simpler. There is really something wrong with the thought process in Florida. I was told not that many years ago if you moved to Florida you had to pay a large fee if you brought your car into the state. The reason, I was told, was they wanted to increase new car sales in the state. WOW!!! talk about screwed up and hedgemonic thinking / activity. Just think Florida is considered a swing state politically. No wonder the country is economically failing. But that is another subject and not one for here. Don't get me wrong Mass has it's problems in this area also, big ones. Logicaly I should pay the sales tax in Florida. Thise funds should stay in Florida no matter where the boat ends up. I should be able to name the port af call on the federal documentation papers anywhere I want. I may be asked to pay a temporary resident fee if the vessel stays in Florida for any extended length of time. If is really that simple. If anyone has any logicall reason why this is wrong I would love to hear them. I do not mean something like because the law doesn't allow it. Not all laws are written very well. I still have hope that someone in Florida's tax office has some degree of intelligence. I really can't believe there isn't a simple solution.
kpinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #111
Guru

Don't ask for intelligence in these State tax offices. They are following the laws written by the State legislators. Many of those guys are as bad as our current crop of Congressmen. They are not looking out for average-joe. They are looking out for re-election, AND they need money to keep fueling their 'system', so lets see where we can get revenue, regardless of the other States.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #112
Guru

Unless I am mistaken (happens occasionally!!) the sales tax in FL is 6% and sales tax in MA is 6.25%. So, you pay the 6% in FL, then you owe a net 0.25% in MA. I would double check with MA tax people. You may not have a problem if you intend to keep the boat in MA and pay MA sales tax anyway. Also, when we bought our boat in 2006, Charles Martin at Fl Revenue Boat Enforcement, Tallahassee, was quite helpful.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #113
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
Bingo! I would have bet good money that this response was inevitable!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #114
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
I wont call you any names please feel free to act the same, unless you need to in order to communicate it which case I understand.

It was clear what you were implying so don't try to be cute and suggest otherwise.

As for the comments about my tax's, I won't dignify them with a response.

Good day,

No where in my comment did I suggest avoiding taxes, I am in the tax business so I would never suggest that. We deal everyday with people that are less than honorable when it comes paying their fair share. The government passes laws that allows for this type of activity and the boating laws in Florida are a perfect example of this type of incompetent government. I am sorry that you interpret my statement the wrong way, that is your problem. BTW, have you filed that use tax yet for all your internet purchases? Do I need to report you? FL Dept Rev - Use Tax on Out-of-State Purchases
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #115
Guru

KPinn:
Even if you do not intend to keep your boat in RI you could register it there initially. Does not cost much for one year- no sales tax issue. That gives you RI docs you can use in FL. Then deal with MA later.
But, I would also encourage you to go talk with Charles Martin (assuming he is still there) at FL Tax (see above). Illogical situations can sometimes be corrected or worked-around.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #116
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Move to South Carolina, the maximum amount of sales tax on any purchase is $300!
Maximum Sales Tax
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #117
Guru

Quote:
No where in my comment did I suggest avoiding taxes, I am in the tax business so I would never suggest that. We deal everyday with people that are less than honorable when it comes paying their fair share. The government passes laws that allows for this type of activity and the boating laws in Florida are a perfect example of this type of incompetent government. I am sorry that you interpret my statement the wrong way, that is your problem. BTW, have you filed that use tax yet for all your internet purchases? Do I need to report you? FL Dept Rev - Use Tax on Out-of-State Purchases
Like I posted in post #101...spent 2 hrs with the NJ div of taxation on the water guy....mostly pulling him off ground...so much for his enforcement day!

I knew what you meant...I brought it up in another thread... and ....
Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #118
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
There are major differences between tax evasion and tax avoidance. Tax avoidance is legal.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #119
Guru

Quote:
Move to South Carolina, the maximum amount of sales tax on any purchase is $300!
Maximum Sales Tax
Yeah but when my buddy moved there with his 42 Catalina...his annual personal property tax was going to be an annual tax that was the same as most one time sales taxes in other states...

Then after months of research and wrangling..there are ways of reducing it to a fraction...but it still is going to be more than a 6% sales tax if he remains there with that boat for say 10 years.

Can't say exact numbers as I forget...but this starts to sound like the classic what states are better for taxes thread....it all depends on your personal financial situation.

As bad a Jersey is for taxes...they don't tax my military retirement and living on a boat I don't have their huge property taxes. So for me it's an OK state to live in...for most retirees with a taxable pension that want to live in certain areas...their property taxes alone exceed $20,000/year, let alone their income taxes.....
Old 08-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #120
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Maximum Sales Tax

Moonstruck's hailing port is Charleston, SC. Wonder why?

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote