Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #81

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
Ken, this will help on the trip.

Boat Delivery Checklist

SUPPLIES

__ Belts for engine __ Flashlight
__ Duct tape __ First Aid Kit
__ Ponchos for crew __ Blue gasket sealer(RTV)
__ Volt meter __ Bastard file
__ Wire brush __ Cable ties
__ 5 gal bucket & 1 or 2 gal __ Liquid soap
__ Rain X __ Applicable charts
__ lots of paper towels __ 7 x 50 binoculars
__ compasses (2) __ mop bucket
__ Liquid wrench __ Elec. Drill & bits
__ Hack saw & blades (important) __ Dive mask
__ 25' - 50' 1/4" nylon line __ 1 roll nylon fish net line
__ Pencils & scratch pad __ 6 rolls elec. Tape
__ WD-40 __ 10 qts. Engine oil
__ Butane lighters __ SS hose clamps (many sizes)
__ Fuel filters (full carton inc. gen set __ Supply of fuses

__ Water hoses, including gen & ALL sizes on board:

Note: Suction hoses reinforced -fresh water system
__ Carton of light bulbs for running lights
__ Water pump impellers-mains & gen set
__ Tool kit (lots of tools) Lge. Stilson wrench for shaft;
Lge. Hammer/hatchet; Allen wrenches; 2 adjustable 8" & 10"
__ Wood plugs for thru hulls
__ Reflective tape on life jackets for each crew member
__ Spare parts for fresh water pump IMPORTANT!
__ Lge. Tube silicon glue w gun
__ Elec. Wire about 10g/12g 10' to 15'
__ Transmission fluid for trans. & steering; 1/2 gallon minimum
__ 1 gal. Diesel fuel in a container (for fuel filter change)
__ Bulbs for 12 v lights in engine room and cabins
__ 300' min. ground tackle made up to an anchor
__ 6 dock lines at least 35' long
__ 4 lge. Fenders w lines on both ends
__ At least 1 long boat hook
__ Lge Thermos for coffee for offshore

__ Drinking water in containers
__ Sheets of gasket material; 1 fiber & 1 rubber
__ "Bailing wire" or length small diameter SS wire
__ Plastic bottle w/flip top-shampoo bottle for trans. Fluid to add to trans. & hydraulic steering
__ Plastic funnel (can be made from 2 or 3 liter plastic bottle)
__ Several old newspapers-in case of fuel filter change underway-place under filters, with mop bucket

THINGS TO DO WITHOUT FAIL:
__ Butane stove-check amount of butane
__ Check steering fluid and check for leaks
__ Run mains, after changing filters, for at least one hour
__ Run gen set, after changing filters, for at least one hour
__ Add fuel additive to diesel-even if it has some already
__ Check batteries with load tester
__ Diagram fuel lines & valves
__ Diagram fresh water tanks, lines & valves
__ After engines are warm, draw diagrams of all instruments, noting location of needles.

Note differences in bridge gauges and those in cabin.
__ Run the fresh water pump

The list looks long, but on a dark and stormy night, what do you prefer to NOT have on board?

charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:36 AM   #82
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Great list, Chuck! Thanks.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #83

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
[QUOTE=kpinnn;173215]Still there is a bigger problem that requires some planning. Both heads have electro-sans sanitation treatment devices. These are not legal in the Keys. My plan is to replace the older Electro-Sans with a holding tank and maybe y valve with dump. This would allow me to lock the y valve in one head and disable the electro-sans when not legal. When legal I can use the holding tank and electro-sans. I would certainly entertain any suggestions regarding size of holding tank as well as mounting position. The head that I would put the holding tank is the forward one in the galley area.

We also have Electro-San on Holly Day with both heads discharging into the single Electro-San treatment unit. Originally from there it was plumbed overboard. The boat has a factory-installed 50 gallon holding tank which was not plumbed when we bought her. Downstream of the Electro-San I installed a lockable "Y" valve. Now we can send our blackwater from the Electro-San either overboard, as before, or into the holding tank. This of course means you have purified waste going into your holding tank, which precludes that usual "stench" one encounters with them. From the holding tank we can empty waste via a deck pumpout. Once you get that holding tank installed, you may want to consider this arrangement. It allows maximum flexibility with minimal cost, and it's entirely legal anywhere no-discharge rules are in force. By the way, as an alternative to marinas (which are quite pricy in Key West) I suggest you consider the Key West City Mooring Field just east of Fleming Key and north of Garrison Bight. If you take one monthly you'll save a lot of money over the weekly or daily rate. The included facilities ashore (laundry, showers, water-fill, secure dinghy dockage and car parking) are first rate. Good luck!
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #84

City: Thorndike
Vessel Name: Periwinkle
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Wow, what a pile of you know what. I thought the story of my purchase and trip up the ICW was going to subside until April when we were planning on heading North. Now I am dealing with the 90 day rule. Thought I had the issue covered but not so. Seems the broker was not exactly correct in his interpretation. I had been told you can purchase a 90 day extension sticker for $50.00 and another if purchased within 60 days of the first for another 90 days. Another possible plan was to simply pay the sales tax and be done with it. Well. first the broker was wrong, the second 90 day extension was not $50 but instead $500. This would only get us till February, not exactly the best time of year to head North. Paying the sales tax seemed to be the next best bet but add county taxes, registration fees, and all of the uncertainties of these laws and this becomes less attractive then getting the hell out of the state. I say uncertainties because nobody including the documentation service can explain in a way that makes since the laws and what to do if in my situation. I believe the legality of many of these taxes could be questioned. The stupidity goes without saying. Think about it, I buy a boat in Florida. A broker made a commission. The Marina where the boat was hauled and work done brought in more revenue. I now have the boat on the hard and plan on having more work done. Oh, by the way Obama and Florida officials, that is real job creation. Also if I pay the sales tax and then move as planned to Mass. I am told the tax revenue is sent to Florida so Florida doesn't gain much. Well there are two other possibilities that make some since. one, I could apply for a repair extension but it must be because the boat cannot be operated. And by the way when I asked if the installation of a working and legal head in Florida waters was acceptable I was told no. So I must move through Florida shores without a legal holding tank, ok a doggy bag works. The second possibility is to apply for a Sojourner Registration. This is not a bad solution is costs $3.00 per foot and allows a boat owner to stay for 1 year or also available for more money is a two year registration This is ok but requires a valid registration from another state and Mass does not issue registrations to documented vessels. When I have questioned what I would need from Mass to present to Florida I was told go register the vessel in Delaware. How stupid is this? I want to spend more money in Florida but to do that the state wants to fine me and make things very difficult. Things tend to get very complicated and evasive when government passes questionable laws. The idea that they will fine me now because I changed my mind about leaving in the original 90 days is asinine. This is really very simple. I should be able to present a valid costal document and tax receipt, oh and by the way I do not know how Mass has any right to the sales tax money from Florida but apparently they do, Florida should be collecting the tax, so back to the original statement a valid document and tax receipt from the state it was sold in and I should be able to buy a temporary registration for the Florida waters. During which time revenue would be introduced into the Florida economy. Now as it stands I head North in September or October. But, what happens in Georgia or the Carolinas, is it the same and in 90 days I need to head North? Hmmm January? I don't think so.
kpinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #85
Guru

Consider the option of registering in RI (in addition to documenting). You get decals in RI with no boat numbers. No sales tax in RI. Keep your boat in the Narragsnett for a year or so and move to MA tax free. If you register in RI, then move to GA to get the work done you may avoid the FL tax issue?????
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #86
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Kpinnn,
Not to throw more spice into your mustard not all the states have a 90 day rule some have a 60 day rule !!!!

Use this link to help out in your route planning.

BoatUS - Government Affairs - State Boating Information Home
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #87

Unfortunately the documentation was already started. It was simply a transfer. Also, we have a location in Ma. I definately would like no tax but I had planned on paying it somewhere. Again I would think the tax should be paid in the state it was sold, you know "SALES TAX".
Old 08-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #88

60 day, 90 day? Please give me some logic to this insanity. Has our government gone completely nuts. It must be me. There must be some logical reason for the rules. Or is this just another way to rape the public by the government, (state in this case).
Old 08-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #89
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Ummm, are you really surprised that state tax laws and policies differ? Or that the President of the United States isn't spending more time worrying about the needs of recreational boaters?
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #90

No I would not expect the President to spend any time with the issues of recreational boaters or anything at that level. I would also expect local laws to differ but I would also expect local laws to promote economic growth. I do not have a problem paying a reasonable amount use tax to spend time in a particular state. Actually I still think that is possible and I simply have not gotten the correct information. The reason for a documented boat I would expect to be the same as a fedreraly licensed aircraft. Both a boat and an aircraft are capable of interstate as is your car. I stand corrected, I discovered if you stay in Florida over 30 days or something you have to register your car in Florida??? Maybe the 30 days is if, you move to Florida?? How could that be possible
Old 08-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #91

This is starting to sound like Europe. Gee maybe we all should use a differeet currency also.I thought this was the UNITED STATES of AMERICA not the INDEPENDENT STATES of AMERICA. All sarcasm aside I think this can be solved in some way other than moving North duing incliment weather and inherent personal risks. Somewhere there must be some intelligence on this planet.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #92
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Missing a couple of facts. What are you doing with the boat. Cruising, sitting in a marina or having it worked on? If you are cruising, go to Georgia, the Bahamas or Alabama at the end of the 90 days, stay for the required time and then return for the 2nd 90 days (used to be 180 days in a year).

If you are having the boat worked on then check to see if this stays the 90 period (time in the yard doesn't count toward 90 days).

As far as the arbitrary nature of the 90 days, it used to be 30 days in Maryland.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #93
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnn View Post
60 day, 90 day? Please give me some logic to this insanity. Has our government gone completely nuts. It must be me. There must be some logical reason for the rules. Or is this just another way to rape the public by the government, (state in this case).
Oh God, you had me going there for a min. I actually thought you were asking a real question here.

If this is a real question, then ....well..... yes they are completely nuts and seem to prove it on a daily basis.

Oh by the way I am in healthcare so don't get me started.

Pay Fl. tax. get Fl registration, keep proof if asked in the future. You said Mass does not reg. out of state boats so then I guess when in Mass. your boat is just visiting.

Can we all pool our $$$ and buy an island somewhere and start our own country??
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Missing a couple of facts. What are you doing with the boat. Cruising, sitting in a marina or having it worked on? If you are cruising, go to Georgia, the Bahamas or Alabama at the end of the 90 days, stay for the required time and then return for the 2nd 90 days (used to be 180 days in a year).

If you are having the boat worked on then check to see if this stays the 90 period (time in the yard doesn't count toward 90 days).

As far as the arbitrary nature of the 90 days, it used to be 30 days in Maryland.

Marty
not true you only have a safe harbor while getting repairs for 20 days.

"Florida’s Safe Harbor Act
If sales or use tax has not been paid on a boat, the boat is exempt from tax if it remains in this state for a
maximum of 20 days in any calendar year. The 20-day per
iod is calculated from the date of first dockage or
slippage at a registered facility that rents dockage or slippage space in this state.
If a boat enters Florida for repairs or modifications and is placed in a registered repair facility, it may stay
without taxation until the repairs are completed. The 20-day period stops while the vessel is undergoing
repair. Once the repairs are complete, the owner has the balance of the 20 days to remove the boat from
Florida.
These repairs, additions, alterations, refitting, or modifications may be subject to sales tax and the
applicable discretionary sales surtax.
Storage of a boat in Florida will not qualify for the “safe harbor” exemption. A boat listed for sale, contracted
for sale, or sold using a registered boat dealer or yacht broker will qualify for the exemption if sold while in
Florida under the safe harbor provisions"

from http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2011/gt800005.pdf
Old 08-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #95

Scott, good luck with the health care LOL. By the way Mass allows 60 days. Georgia is also 60 days. What is this all about? This tomfoolery wasn't just dreamed up. It must have come from some situation. I gut tells me the states simply saw what they thought were deep pockets and went after them. Essentially if I do not find a solution involving paying some kind of temporary status long enough to safely motor the boat North. I will sell it.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #96
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
I don't see how they can police this law with all the boats, marinas, anchorages in Florida. There is no way they know who is where and for how long.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
I don't see how they can police this law with all the boats, marinas, anchorages in Florida. There is no way they know who is where and for how long.
Really??? in this day and age you believe that?

Sure tax evasion is easy, you should write a book, good luck with that but IMHO it's bad advise to give.

Perhaps you should tell us here on the internet all about your tax evasion experience.

Call
800-FL-AWARD (1-800-352-9273) (in Florida only) or
850-617-8586

Compensation for Tax Information - Reward Program

In certain circumstances, you may also be eligible for a monetary reward.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/violations.html

Sleep well
Old 08-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #98
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
California taxes boats like real estate and homes. Thus, I expect no-charge police and fire protection, rescue, and blackwater pump-out facilities whenever needed.

Recently realized Solano County where my boat resides has property taxes about 70% of my land-based residence in Contra Costa County. Helps to offset the $5 bridge tolls.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #99
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Really??? in this day and age you believe that?

Sure tax evasion is easy, you should write a book, good luck with that but IMHO it's bad advise to give.

Perhaps you should tell us here on the internet all about your tax evasion experience.

Call
800-FL-AWARD (1-800-352-9273) (in Florida only) or
850-617-8586

Compensation for Tax Information - Reward Program

In certain circumstances, you may also be eligible for a monetary reward.

FL Dept Rev - Report Tax Violations

Sleep well
I wasn't suggesting that anybody evade taxes jackazz! I was making a statement to the fact that there are many stupid laws on the books that cannot be enforced. Send me a copy of your tax return and I'll bet you money you did not do it right and cheated the government! BTW, do you file a use tax for all that stuff you buy on the internet and don't pay sales tax? Sleep on that one!
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #100
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
In Washington many of the marinas are County Port Districts or City boat harbors. Since county and city government share the tax revenue, yes they do monitor the boat registration in the marinas. July of each year, I have to give them a copy of my registration and insurance policy.

Also Port Security walks the docks every evening documenting what boats are in what slips in the marina. In the world of computers, it's no problem for them to document and track boat movements.

Private marina's, I don't know what efforts are made to locate tax evaders. But there is a reward program for reporting vehicle tax evasion, boats, planes and motorhomes. Neighbors love to report someone getting away with not paying a tax they have to pay. The evasion penalty is twice the tax due, plus a penalty fee.

LB