Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnn View Post
So now make offer, it is accepted, and I am now under agreement with a survey scheduled. My plan, do visual, followed by survey and sea trial. If all is well, do paperwork and head up the ICW.
I did the same thing on a 30' Mainship some years ago. After the offer was accepted, I traveled to Oxnard for my first inspection and a survey of the boat. The offer was (in writing) subject to my complete satisfaction after inspection and survey. I paid for the boat, drove her to Catalina for the night and continued the next day to San Diego.

It sounds like this OP is doing the same thing.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #22

City: Thorndike
Vessel Name: Periwinkle
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
No not bought sight unseen. I made an offer based on the boat being what the ad says it is. The offer was accepted. I will get an eyeball on the boat the 29th and survey the 30th. See a customer in Melbourne on the 31st and depending on the survey head up the ICW the 1st or 2nd. The process of setting up the logistics has been informative at the least. I am relatively knew to boating (third year) My first experience was a 150 mile trip down the CT river and on to Buzzards Bay Mass. That was educational and a great trip. I expect the ICW will be the same. I am no stranger to trips of this sort since I have ferryed aircraft for people from tim to time. A lot of preplanning makes the trip safe, same as the ICW I suspect. Only difference when an engine fails in an aircraft you need to find a place to land while, well in a boat it is a little less dramatic. Ok, enough. Next question, I gulfstar have discovered that growth in the tanks can be a problem. Have a gas guy checking this out, polish or replace fuel. I know the Gulfstar has a fiberglass tank. I assumed being fiberglass, corrosion and deterioration was not an issue. Well the gas guy says not so. Still I have not seen many Gulfstars with the mention of a tank replacement while this seems to be common with the trawlers using steel tanks. Has anyone had problems with the tanks in the Gulfstar? Should I be looking carefuly at the tank or is this not a major point of weakness in these models?

kpinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
No not bought sight unseen. I made an offer based on the boat being what the ad says it is. The offer was accepted. I will get an eyeball on the boat the 29th and survey the 30th. See a customer in Melbourne on the 31st and depending on the survey head up the ICW the 1st or 2nd. The process of setting up the logistics has been informative at the least. I am relatively knew to boating (third year) My first experience was a 150 mile trip down the CT river and on to Buzzards Bay Mass. That was educational and a great trip. I expect the ICW will be the same. I am no stranger to trips of this sort since I have ferryed aircraft for people from tim to time. A lot of preplanning makes the trip safe, same as the ICW I suspect. Only difference when an engine fails in an aircraft you need to find a place to land while, well in a boat it is a little less dramatic. Ok, enough. Next question, I gulfstar have discovered that growth in the tanks can be a problem. Have a gas guy checking this out, polish or replace fuel. I know the Gulfstar has a fiberglass tank. I assumed being fiberglass, corrosion and deterioration was not an issue. Well the gas guy says not so. Still I have not seen many Gulfstars with the mention of a tank replacement while this seems to be common with the trawlers using steel tanks. Has anyone had problems with the tanks in the Gulfstar? Should I be looking carefuly at the tank or is this not a major point of weakness in these models?
Is it diesel?

If diesel...you should have no problem with integral fiberglass tanks unless the PO was running a high biodiesel blend or pure biodiesel...even then I'm not sure what issues you may have...I haven't read any specific discussions on biodiesel and certain era fiberglass tanks.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
If diesel you shouldn't have any problems...even issues with biodiesel straight or in blends really hasn't been well experienced or published yet...

I'm curious to what the "gas guy" thinks...but yes the diesel could be severely fouled with biomass.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
If your boat is federally documented your schedule maybe a little agressive even if paying in cash unless you want to not worry about receiving the USCG blessing after they run the title to make sure there are no outstanding liens on your new boat.

On a good day that may take several days after acceptance of survey and sea trial, or if there is a problem like on my current boat it took 6 weeks to cure due to title finding a mistake in the doc number.

Either way good luck
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #26
Guru

USCG documentation may list all financial institution liens/owners/preferred mortgages and MAYBE "federal arrests" but may not have mechanics liens or other small business lien information...so you really roll the dice even when buying through a broker....unless you do a massive search yourself, there is really not much protection.

MARITIME LIEN FAQ

Does anything special have to be done to create a maritime lien?
The filing of appropriate documents with the National Vessel Documentation Center is needed to create a preferred ship mortgage lien. All other liens arise spontaneously upon the provision of goods or services to the vessel or other maritime property, or upon the commission of the accident or other event that gives rise to a liability secured by the lien. Since there is no need to file, there is no reliable means of discovering all liens that may exist against a vessel. Liens not of record are called "secret liens."
What are some examples of debts and liabilities that may be secured by a maritime lien on a vessel?
Charges for goods and services rendered to the vessel (referred to as "necessaries"), such as moorage, fuel and other consumables, maintenance, repairs, and some types of insurance premiums; towage; seamen’s wages; salvage; liability to repair dock and collision damage; liability to compensate for personal injury and boating accidents; and maintenance, cure and unearned wages owed to former crewmen.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #27
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
USCG documentation may list all financial institution liens/owners/preferred mortgages and MAYBE "federal arrests" but may not have mechanics liens or other small business lien information...so you really roll the dice even when buying through a broker....unless you do a massive search yourself, there is really not much protection.

MARITIME LIEN FAQ

Does anything special have to be done to create a maritime lien?
The filing of appropriate documents with the National Vessel Documentation Center is needed to create a preferred ship mortgage lien. All other liens arise spontaneously upon the provision of goods or services to the vessel or other maritime property, or upon the commission of the accident or other event that gives rise to a liability secured by the lien. Since there is no need to file, there is no reliable means of discovering all liens that may exist against a vessel. Liens not of record are called "secret liens."
What are some examples of debts and liabilities that may be secured by a maritime lien on a vessel?
Charges for goods and services rendered to the vessel (referred to as "necessaries"), such as moorage, fuel and other consumables, maintenance, repairs, and some types of insurance premiums; towage; seamenís wages; salvage; liability to repair dock and collision damage; liability to compensate for personal injury and boating accidents; and maintenance, cure and unearned wages owed to former crewmen.
Thats why I use a marine title search company that guarantees good title and in the contract states that they will reimburse for any unfound liens that cause damage to the buyer. Although it costs a few hundred dollars for them to do all the paper work it certainly paid off on my last purchase.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #28

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Kpinn,
We did the trip you describe a few years ago. We found our boat inline. We flew to Florida and did a walk-thru. We made an offer based on survey and sea trial. Both were ok. We settled on the boat via fax and wire transfer. Ten days later we left the west coast of FLA headed to Maryland. The first week we moved the boat to Melbourne FL, we came home, worked for a month, went back to FLA and moved the Boat to Charleston, SC. Another month working and then flew to Charleston and moved the boat to Maryland. It was a great trip, a great way to learn the boat and no problems at all. The one thing I would highly recommend is a copy of Skipper Bob's ICW Guides.
We did discover the PO had, had fuel line problems and so did we. I would make sure you have spare fuel filters.
We found one vacuflush did not work...learned to fix that.
We called marinas along the way and politely asked for docking assistance and/or T-pier ends, until we got more comfortable backing into slips.
I absolutely would not have it trucked. We did run outside some but mostly ICW.

Enjoy the boat and the trip.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
I have a friend who is a delivery captain. After I was through cruising on the sailboat, and bored, I helped him do a couple of deliveries. Both times he was asked to deliver a boat which had been bought in Florida and to be delivered up in Yankeeland (Maryland in one case, New York in the other). Both boats would have made good artificial reefs, most likely, but had little to recommend them otherwise. My friend is a jack-of-all-trades and has been messing with boats since he was a wee tad (his father was a shrimper). Certainly earned his money, because every night after we anchored he would have to work on stuff. (Why is this relevant? Hey, I don't know. Just seemed to call for it, I guess. :-)

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #30

I have already started the title search due to the time issues. At worst if I decide not to buy, I will loose the $250.00. If I do decise to buy we sill simply owe the balance of the documentation service fee. Yes the boat is diesel and I plan to have the fuel polished or replaced and then the tank treated. Fuel guy seems to know what to use on not to use. Also bringing extra filters was well as belts and impellers. This boat has twin 62 HP perkins. If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
I have already started the title search due to the time issues. At worst if I decide not to buy, I will loose the $250.00. If I do decise to buy we sill simply owe the balance of the documentation service fee. Yes the boat is diesel and I plan to have the fuel polished or replaced and then the tank treated. Fuel guy seems to know what to use on not to use. Also bringing extra filters was well as belts and impellers. This boat has twin 62 HP perkins. If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear.
an assistance towing service...they are good for very up to date knowledge in almost every area you will travel through....as well as all the other services they provide.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #32
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I would go for it, have a towing service and have the pumps and filters serviced and the must fix items from a good survey and go for it.

Boats are made to float not travel on the back of a truck, and it's why you are buying a boat, you will always remember the trip and will learn more about the boat in the three weeks then a year of weekends.

Lots of good yards on the AICW if you need then, go and join (Free) www.activecaptain.com for great information.

Have fun!!!
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #33

I got my first official trucking quote. Up until now I was told about $4000. Well the official quote came in at $16000. Had planned on using the trucker as a backup. Guess that is out of the question. Now planing on running the bt up in two trips. Started the planning but stuck with the question, how many miles can I do in a day realistically. I know, "don't rush ans enjoy the trip". But, just for the sake of reality and planning anyone have any idea of milage per day? Ok, the boat is a 36 ft Gulfstar. I have been told cruise speed of 8 miler per hour. I don't think so. I suspect a realistic cruise speed is 6 miles per hour. Can I do 10 hrs per day and get 60 miles. That is what I am planning but there is this littel voice in my head saying "No NO NO" more like 40 miles per day?????
Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
I got my first official trucking quote. Up until now I was told about $4000. Well the official quote came in at $16000. Had planned on using the trucker as a backup. Guess that is out of the question. Now planing on running the bt up in two trips. Started the planning but stuck with the question, how many miles can I do in a day realistically. I know, "don't rush ans enjoy the trip". But, just for the sake of reality and planning anyone have any idea of milage per day? Ok, the boat is a 36 ft Gulfstar. I have been told cruise speed of 8 miler per hour. I don't think so. I suspect a realistic cruise speed is 6 miles per hour. Can I do 10 hrs per day and get 60 miles. That is what I am planning but there is this littel voice in my head saying "No NO NO" more like 40 miles per day?????
Depends on you and time of year. Apr-Oct and the days are long enough for 12hrs and still do daylight. You can make some longer days with a little higher fuel burn at 7-8...but you are right that somewhere between 6-7 you'll get better fuel economy.

If you anchor then the days can be very close to what you think. If you marina up...or need to provision..those days are somewhat controlled by distance to where you need to get to. Leaving in dark or twilight is an option if you are comfortable with the pace you are leaving and I say that is I'd always rather leave in the dark than arrive to a new place in it.

40 miles a day is pretty leisurely...nice if you actually want to get off the boat and see places other than a quick diner at a restaurant...but to make time, bumping that up to 50-60 is more of a "cruiser trying to get some place".
Old 07-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #35

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Your Mark !! has a very clean hull. They move thru the water very easy. My last trip up was in a 49' Grand Banks. I ran hull speed, 8.5 knots. From Miami River to North Shore of Long Island. I averaged 90 miles per day. Some days were 80 and a few were 100. Norfolk bridges were biggest delay. Try to stop at Atlantic Yacht Basin for the night just south of the locks. then early out and try to follow a tug thru. Bluewater Yard in Hampton Va. is a great stop also. 6 to 7 knots is, to me, wasting time.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #36
Guru

[QUOTE=Ron T;169174]Your Mark !! has a very clean hull. They move thru the water very easy. My last trip up was in a 49' Grand Banks. I ran hull speed, 8.5 knots. From Miami River to North Shore of Long Island. I averaged 90 miles per day. Some days were 80 and a few were 100. Norfolk bridges were biggest delay. Try to stop at Atlantic Yacht Basin for the night just south of the locks. then early out and try to follow a tug thru. Bluewater Yard in Hampton Va. is a great stop also. 6 to 7 knots is, to me, wasting time.[/QUOTE]
And to some a waste of fuel....

A 36 Gulfstar and a 49 Grand Banks is a serious difference in hull speed and probably hull design.

My first trip I ran around 8 knots in my boat....second trip averaged 6.3...enjoyed the trip more (though I understand schedules) and burned 40% less fuel.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #37

City: New Bern, N.C.
Our MK1 with twin 4-236 Perkins has a sweet spot at 1700 rpms, giving us 7.5 knots, +/- current, wind, etc. Going faster than that raises the bow, digs a hole behind, and really starts sucking fuel. WOT only gives 8.5 kts, sluggish handling, and a fuel burn only a Saudi sheik would love. I love our boat, and I never planned on skiing behind it. It is what it is.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #38
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The OP is wanting to buy a fixer upper sight unseen. The broker is softly to some, very clear to others trying to slow down the OP. Internet chatterers are saying go for it. Kind of like those on the ground telling the suicide guy on the ledge to "JUMP."

My advice is don't commit in advance, go slowly and be patient.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Well put. I have been thinking similar thoughts as I have followed this thread.

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
The OP is wanting to buy a fixer upper sight unseen. The broker is softly to some, very clear to others trying to slow down the OP. Internet chatterers are saying go for it. Kind of like those on the ground telling the suicide guy on the ledge to "JUMP."

My advice is don't commit in advance, go slowly and be patient.
Only know what I've read so far.

Here's from the opening post " Ok, so talk to the broker, and yes it is what the add says, or so he claims. Add says ready to go head to the Bahamas. Well I don't want to go to the Bahamas but I do want to get it to Buzzards Bay in Massachusetts"

Let's see...OK for an open water 60 mile run to a foreign country but not OK up about the easiest cruising ground in the world? OK...well I don't believe ads or brokers till a bit of investigation....

Then the OP posts something pretty reasonable and more than most do..."Yes the boat is diesel and I plan to have the fuel polished or replaced and then the tank treated. Fuel guy seems to know what to use on not to use. Also bringing extra filters was well as belts and impellers. This boat has twin 62 HP perkins. If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear. " Twins with good fuel, filters and spare parts. The intracoastal is pretty forgiving to twins...easy to get someplace for help.

Then he posts...". I suspect a realistic cruise speed is 6 miles per hour. Can I do 10 hrs per day and get 60 miles. That is what I am planning but there is this little voice in my head saying "No NO NO" more like 40 miles per day????? " Which to me he IS thinkg pretty clearly and thoroughly compared to the guy who thinks he's gonna make 100 days in a 36 Trawler that's not a go fast tug.

He also posts..."I am relatively knew to boating (third year) My first experience was a 150 mile trip down the CT river and on to Buzzards Bay Mass. That was educational and a great trip. I expect the ICW will be the same. I am no stranger to trips of this sort since I have ferryed aircraft for people from tim to time. A lot of preplanning makes the trip safe, same as the ICW I suspect"

OK so he's a relative newbie but is punching all the right buttons so far except taking or hiring a really experienced person to go along...which is almost always a good idea as it can make the trip even more educational and fun.

Rushing? Maybe but out of many dreamers...that actually do something...this one seems to have it a lot mre together and a trip up the ICW should be challenging but hardly any more dangerous than a newbie boating in his home waters.

And he's here seeking advice....