Old 11-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #1

City: White House Cove Marina
Vessel Name: Saltwater's Dream
Vessel Model: 44' Gulf star Trawler
Needing advise for marine insurance

Good Day All:
My husband and I will soon be first time boat owners and are very much like a new teen driver with no boat operation experience.
That said insurance companies (Boatus, Progressive) will not even talk to us about insurance being operator experience is zilch.
We are looking to close in a week or two on a 44' gulfstar trawler (1985).
If anyone could give any assistance as to where to look for insurance this would be grand. I realize we have to be high risk at this point.
We live in the Middle Peninsula of Virginia, and will be using the boat only in the Chesapeake Bay.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone
salty sailors wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty sailors wife View Post
Good Day All:
My husband and I will soon be first time boat owners and are very much like a new teen driver with no boat operation experience.
That said insurance companies (Boatus, Progressive) will not even talk to us about insurance being operator experience is zilch.
We are looking to close in a week or two on a 44' gulfstar trawler (1985).
If anyone could give any assistance as to where to look for insurance this would be grand. I realize we have to be high risk at this point.
We live in the Middle Peninsula of Virginia, and will be using the boat only in the Chesapeake Bay.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone
Hi, and welcome to the board- and congrats on your new boat!

There are ways to get over the hump of first time ownership on a boat this size. Most insurers will want to see some significant training before letting you venture off on your own- usually this will involve a USCG rated skipper who will be in command while you are training.

I'll send you a PM.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Might I suggest that you consider hiring a licensed Captain for a few months and promise the insurance company that you will have him on board to teach you how to run the boat? That will give you a good teacher plus it will give the insurance company the safeguard of having someone on board who knows how to handle the boat.

Of course, when you make the promise to them that you will always have him on board you incur two things---one the expense of hiring a captain to be with you, and the knowledge that if you cheat and DON'T take him with you and something happens, you're on your own for insurance because they won't touch you.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Pete, you and I must think alike. You posted your response while I was typing mine.

Mike
Old 11-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Welcome aboard!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Progressive certainly and maybe BoatUS have a one size fits all viewpoint.

Work with a real insurance broker. Al Golden of IMIS in Grasonville, Md and Jack Martin in Annapolis have no doubt dealt with this problem before.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #7

Thank you all for your help and in put. Yes we intend on spending as much time as needed with a Capt USCG trained/ceritified. What really got me going is when I called an insurance company and they said sure they would insure us but we would have to have a Capt aboard at all times even if we are on the boat in the slip doing absolutely nothing but relaxing!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys doing my homework now
Old 11-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Pete, you and I must think alike. You posted your response while I was typing mine.

Mike
You know what they say about great minds, Mike

Old 11-28-2013, 02:10 AM   #9
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
What really got me going is when I called an insurance company and they said sure they would insure us but we would have to have a Capt aboard at all times even if we are on the boat in the slip doing absolutely nothing but relaxing!!!!!!!!!
Don't be too harsh in judging their logic on that one, more boats sink at the docks than you may imagine.

BoatUS: Seaworthy

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #10
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Find a brokerage like Charter Lakes to get you insured. They will do the leg work for you and advise you if you need to do any training or take a USCG course.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Welcome Aboard

I trust the advice you have received on finding insurance will help you find insurance for your new boat.

There is another side to this situation however. That is how much experience do you have in handling a boat and knowing the rules and hazards of being on the water. Never having owned a boat before does not mean you haven't spent time on boats. If you are new to the whole on water experience than I suggest that you contact your local power squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary and take at least the basic boating course. I have taught that course many times and have gotten to know the beginning boaters/students enough to realize the danger they would be in if they got on the water. Its not like driving a car. I taught in the Great Lakes area which is like a big bathtub with few hidden dangers. The Chesapeake has shallows, primary and secondary channels and a host of possible problems easily handled by someone who has the basic knowledge of what to do, but a trap for those who don't.

Good luck and may you enjoy your boat. Just be prepared for boating in a way that wouldn't get you into difficulties.

You can find your local US Power Squadron on line by Googling, the Northern Virginia Power Squadron's Web site is Northern Virginia Sail & Power Squadron home page.

Best of luck

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #12
Guru

A 44' boat is a BIG first time boat. Are you truly completely new to boating? Your name suggests that perhaps you have sailboat experience.

Lots of people have started out in fairly big boats but it's not the norm. As suggested take a boating course, read Chapman's, get active on forums like this and by all means hire a competent captain to help you out for awhile.

While many boats due sink at the dock primarily due to neglect, I would question an insurance companies requirement to hire someone to be on the boat with you while it is properly tied in your slip.

After you take ownership of your new boat, take very seriously the recommended fix's on your survey.

By taking the advise on this forum, by this time next year you will have had some very fun experiences and feel confident in operating the boat yourself.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Thank you all for your help and in put. Yes we intend on spending as much time as needed with a Capt USCG trained/ceritified. What really got me going is when I called an insurance company and they said sure they would insure us but we would have to have a Capt aboard at all times even if we are on the boat in the slip doing absolutely nothing but relaxing!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys doing my homework now
That requirement would be over the top IMO- the usual requirement that our underwriters place on risks like this is the skipper is onboard whenever the vessel leaves port- dockside usage of the boat is perfectly fine without the skipper onboard. It's over the top to think that an insurance company would have that requirement- one could not go onboard to perform maintenance, drop off supplies, or spend time just relaxing without violating the policy's warranty.

Of course, if the insured takes the vessel out on a whim without the skipper onboard, the policy would not cover any damages resulting from said operations.

Marty has an excellent suggestion regarding the USPS courses to augment your training. Underwriting will still require some time under the tutelage of a named captain due to the extreme jump in size to a 40'+ class vessel as a first boat.

As a marine insurance broker, we see this all the time, and my staff and I are well versed in putting these types of policies together.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Here is the best broker of any service I have ever met. TBH, Adam kinda restored my faith in an honest insurance agents. Give him and Liz a call.

Adam B. Meyer, Esq.
Director of Marine Insurance
Wells Marine Insurance
Tradition with Vision
www.hwwells.com |ameyer@hwwells.com
O: 910-208-9120 | D: 910-726-3923 |F: 910-795-2512
Old 11-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
Guru

City: Trenton
I second the choice of Al Golden. He's been my agent for over 20 years so I'm a bit biased. You'll get straight answers and the best policy available for your experience and locale. He is in Maryland on the Chesapeake so he knows the area.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #16
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Since you don't own the boat yet, why not take a step back and get a small runabout (22' to 24') and see if you really enjoy the water and cleaning, fixing, living and suffering boat issues?

At the same time you can pursue your training and education along the lines suggested above.

That is the path most (all) of us took.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #17

Needing Advise

To All who have replied to our insurance needs. A Big Thank you!

I was over whelmed and the responses. This more of a new adventure for me. My husband spent 98% of his Navy enlisted career aboard destroyers. He is certified in enlisted Surface Warfare, hence the name Saltwater was given to him aboard ship because his signature on paperwork would always include SW at the end of it!

Yes, our new home is big but we are willing to move forward and learn as we go.
The suggestion of the NVS&P squardron is going to be a very useful tool in our learning. Thank you so much.

I have several of the insurance companies called or emailed and hopefully we will have Saltwater's Dream as she will be called insured soon.

God's Speed and Happy Thanksgiving once again.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
To All who have replied to our insurance needs. A Big Thank you!

I was over whelmed and the responses. This more of a new adventure for me. My husband spent 98% of his Navy enlisted career aboard destroyers. He is certified in enlisted Surface Warfare, hence the name Saltwater was given to him aboard ship because his signature on paperwork would always include SW at the end of it!

Yes, our new home is big but we are willing to move forward and learn as we go.
The suggestion of the NVS&P squardron is going to be a very useful tool in our learning. Thank you so much.

I have several of the insurance companies called or emailed and hopefully we will have Saltwater's Dream as she will be called insured soon.

God's Speed and Happy Thanksgiving once again.

(thread hijack) Navy- yeah! What platforms was he on?

Old 11-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We were some what in the same situation. However I had experience with our 19 ft run about. Most states require taking a class and passing a test to get a licence. Also most areas have boating classes that are more than the state required.

As for experience might want to buy a small boat/dink to get on the water as the rules on the water/road are the same. I am surprised about at dock requirement. However there is a lot more to a big boat than turning the key. So ask them what they require. I had to be shown several times, so it might be to your advantage.

So take the basic required courses and get some on the water experience.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #20

HI Guru:
Paul was on several DD's and one DDG all steam propulsion. To name a few Joseph Hughes, Dale, Robison,Bigelow(DDG). He did shore duty in San Diego and was with Fleet Training Grp
he went out daily on a C46 Huey to assist with inspections of several different ships on sea trials/readiness. This was back in the 80's.