Need Tollycraft 26 Bridge Clearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Even Kiehl

Vessel Name
Even Kiehl
Hi, Considering returning to the Tolly 26 fold and want to trailer the boat down the 5 from the Pacific NW to Stockton, CA and I have not been able to find bridge clearance numbers nor the total exact height of the boat.

And if the boat bridge clearance number includes the plexiglass windscreen.
Any help our advice or experience appreciated,
Happy 4th to all!
Thanks,
Stuart
707 799-1927

From the Tollycraft Classified website:

26' Sedan

OA Length - 26' 8"

Beam - 10' 0"

OA Height - 11' 0"
(Keel to Top)

Shipping Height - 11' 9"
(Keel to Top)

OA Height - 10' 0"
(above waterline)

Draft - 34"

Weight (lbs) - 9,000

Deadrise - 9°
Angle

Load - 8 Adults
Capacity

LnS, Wow, thank you for a timely response ! Any guess the difference between the OA height of 11' 0" and "shipping height" of 11' 9"?
And if that includes the windscreen? Not able to measure the boat for the next few days.. Thanks again
Stuart

Not sure about whether the quoted height includes the windscreen. There is a Tollycraft owners group on facebook that might have someone to give you the answer off the top of their head. I just had the numbers for the models at hand from one of my searches about my 34. Unfortunately the Tollycraft owners forum has been taken offline or that would have been the easy answer.

Thanks for your time, just joined the Facebook group.
Cheers
Stuart

I haven't towed a boat but I have towed a trailer, 5th wheel, and I did not trust the mfgrs. stated height. Nor should you. YOUR RIG may be slightly different from all others.

We travelled from Gibsons, B/C/ [Vancouver] to Indio initially and then other areas.

I measured it attached to the truck since that is the condition I needed to be concerned with. This was done on a flat and reasonably level parking area.
I simply got a long enough 2 x 4 and laid it on the highest point with a level on it and then dropped the tape over the side. Clamp the tape hook to the 2x4. I pulled out a bunch of the tape and locked it and let it over the side.. My wife pulled the tape to the ground and read off the measurement, BOTH SIDES to be sure.
You should do the same. Then you really know what the clearance needed is. I put that measurement on the dashboard with a Post It so there was no forgetting.

I found the trailer was 12'8" high or 152". In my case I also worked out the metres as I had to deal with those also.

If you travel the I-5 you should not have any trouble if you are under 13'.

There are truckers atlases which will show clearances of less than the state minimum although they will not tell you the clearance of every overpass.
Most places the state clearance minimum , I BELIEVE, is 14'. That includes California, Oregon, Washington. Of course there are exceptions and that is what these atlases are good for.

I have a Rand McNally , Motor Carriers Road Atlas from ;2007. ALthough it is a few years old now since we are no longer travelling it shows few less than 14 and even those are more than 13'6" unless you get off the main highways into the towns/cities. Even so there are few. I will point out there are places much lower but if you stick to the main AND KNOW YOUR REAL HEIGHT you should be good.

Other states may be very different so get that atlas or similar.

Even so I had a pretty good idea of the feel of clearance to overhead light standards, gas station rooves, and so on to the point I would stop, get out and look.

A last point is if you are travelling big rig routes they will almost always be higher than you. But do the measurement.

Any mods the POs have made could make the boat taller than the specs. Measure twice and wreck it once.

Excellent points! Both sides 2x4, etc etc! Thank you!! Found out all of CA 5 is 14' except maybe one lower near San Diego . You have been very helpful and I thank you for your time and sharing!
Cheers
Stuart

Back
Top Bottom