Old 05-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #41
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
None of my iPhones have had any battery issues needing replacement. We also have at least 30 iPhones at work and I don't recall of any battery incident.

My old iPod, yes, the battery on it wouldn't hold a charge eventually.

I guess if i was planning on having the same phone for 7-8 years I see the case for battery replacement as ranger said; but is that how long everyone else keeps their cell phones?
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #42

City: Spokane, WA
If you don't mind the size (it has its benefits) go with a samsung galaxy note (latest). They're unbelievable pieces of computational genius. I'm not going to start a apple/samsung debate, but seriously man - They're great. Throw some active captain, or other NOAA chart mapping/system on it and you've got a very formidable GPS/charting backup device. (I* will do this as well I'm sure) which may very well make it worth the extra cost

Not to mention that snuggling down watching netflix on the thing anywhere is quite convenient.

To the original question, I've always thought that HTC made good stuff. Had a few of their devices in the past. No knowledge of the others.

My .02c
way_out_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #43
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
To any and everybody talking about battery replacements(all android users I noticed) has an Apple battery needed replacement yet? I haven't heard of any including my 8+ year old iPod touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Both of our ipods require a constant charge to operate. Unplug them for a minute and they die. My buddy's iphone battery died and he had to take it to a repair shop to get it replaced.
It can be done! I had an Ipod that needed constant power to be operable.... $15 later and a little effort on my part it's good as new. Check these guys for parts and easy instructions to fix...

https://www.ifixit.com/
Old 05-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #44
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
To any and everybody talking about battery replacements(all android users I noticed) has an Apple battery needed replacement yet? I haven't heard of any including my 8+ year old iPod touch.
I have had many iPhones, two iPads and several iPods. Never had battery issues with any of them.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #45
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Thanks to everyone for your replies. It is clear that we have the Apple fans and non Apple fans. I definately am not trying to start an "anchor debate". I see that the iphone will run nav programs integrated with Active Captain. To the the folks that do not have the Iphone and maybe an HTC will they run a Nav program with Active Captain?
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #46
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Here is a list from AC:

https://activecaptain.com/navProducts.php
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #47
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
To the the folks that do not have the Iphone and maybe an HTC will they run a Nav program with Active Captain?
I'm pretty qualified to answer that question.

There are currently 8 nav products for iOS with ActiveCaptain integrated. There are currently 3 nav products for Android with ActiveCaptain integrated.

The ActiveCaptain Companion app and the upcoming ActiveCaptain Locations app work equally well on iOS and Android (and Windows, and Mac OSX). For what it's worth, DragQueen is also available for both iOS and Android.

There will be more coming for both platforms - multiple new products are in development by other navigation companies for both platforms with ActiveCaptain support.

There's support coming for the new Apple Watch (you'll want one if you cruise along the ICW - it's very slick!).

In general, the navigation apps with ActiveCaptain integrated are higher quality on the iOS platform than the Android one. People who buy the Garmin BlueChart Mobile app absolutely love it. Chesapeake Bay Magazine just rated the Garmin app (available for iOS only) as the #2 best boating app in their June 2015 Best of the Bay issue (ActiveCaptain was #1):
http://www.chesapeakeboating.net/Pag...results-5.aspx

If you've gotten to 2015 and haven't bought a smartphone yet, you should get an iPhone. It'll be easier to use and you'll have many more choices for apps. I'm not saying that Android is inferior. I love Android and develop all these app for that platform first because it's better for developers. But the market today leans heavily toward better apps for iOS for a variety of reasons. That will surely change in another 5 years but it's true today.

If for some reason you've avoided this higher-end mobile device world but consider yourself a more technical guy, then you might be happier with Android.

There are some generalizations in my comments, but that's the nature of this type of decision.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #48
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I tend to use a given cell phone over several generations of newer versions...-Chris
That's me as well. Don't have a need for the latest a greatest as long as what I have is still working well and meets my needs.

Only reason I'm thinking of upgrading this time is for the mil-spec and waterproof capabilities of the new one, and possibly a smaller profile.

If it wasn't for the need to quickly take pics on the go, and use some of the other features of the phone for business, I'd probably go back old school.
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:57 PM   #49
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Not to get off topic, but I agree with Jeffrey S that the Garmin app with active captain is great both on the iPhone and the iPad.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #50
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I can't belive there's so much interest in computer phones.
I thought it was kids stuff.
I'm inclined to say go get a life but someone would probably say "just a minute let me check my i-phone".
When my relatives come over (mostly kids) I think I'll put them all in a suitcase in the back bedroom.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #51
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. mb. "...I think I'll put them all in a suitcase in the back bedroom..." Be sure to leave some ventilation so they can breath.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:26 PM   #52
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I can't belive there's so much interest in computer phones.
Yes. Welcome to 2009.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 PM   #53
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I don`t have the umbilical connection to my phone many do. And dammit, they have a 6th sense, walking towards me, head down, screen engrossed, that prevents a collision. No matter how hard I try to facilitate one. Maybe it`s a phone app. I hear there is an app to measure unused bladder capacity, useful for older guys.
Then there`s the restaurant table, 4 diners,no conversation, all looking at their phone, except when using it to photograph their meal to post it, while chanting "For what we are about to photograph, may we be truly grateful".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #54
Guru

City: North Carolina for now

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #55
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40

Tradition is great...but new tech isn't anymore the enemy than closed mindedness.

The human brain can usually do about 10 more than what is demanded of it.

Add any additional input that is properly funneled and miracles can happen.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 AM   #56
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ps. "...properly funneled...". Problem with me is, I haven't found the proper funnel..

Old 05-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #57
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
To the the folks that do not have the Iphone and maybe an HTC will they run a Nav program with Active Captain?

Both MX Mariner and Plan2Nav work on Android platforms and integrate ActiveCaptain stuff. Must be another, too, since I see Jeff said there are 3.

-Chris
Old 05-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #58
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
RTF, Are you off your meds again? You've come up with a couple of good ones lately.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 AM   #59
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
I guess if i was planning on having the same phone for 7-8 years I see the case for battery replacement as ranger said; but is that how long everyone else keeps their cell phones?

Most of the "improvements" that happen aren't particularly useful, for me. I know there are folks who get a new phone every time Brand X introduces a new model...

And there are likely lots of techie folks, but I stopped being one of those about 20 years ago...

So in the grand scheme of things, I use it as a phone -- got desktops and laptops and tablets to use for other stuff, I don't play games, don't do currently popular social media, don't use a phone for music, no way am I gonna try and watch a movie on the tiny phone -- so I find improvements in the onboard camera or social media and the display resolution and so forth generally useless.

OTOH, improvements in the PHONE can get my attention, as when AT&T started the changeover from straight TDMA to GSM. And improvements in net connectivity -- as for quick weather and buoy checks, which I'll admit I do occasionally -- and will usually cause us to upgrade, but only eventually. As when AT&T and Verizon moved from G2 to G3, AT&T moved to G4, both moved to LTE, etc. But our phone upgrades lagged way behind that, mostly because the improvements in speed aren't particularly noticeable for only casual usage.

-Chris
Old 05-28-2015, 12:11 PM   #60

City: Bucksport, Maine
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
My wife and I both went from iPhones over to Androids. She has a Note 3, I have a Note 4. As stated above, it's a purely personal choice...Ford, Chevy, or Toyota?...

But one thing I highly recommend regardless of what direction you go...do NOT get a warranty from the carrier or from Apple.
Go to Squaretrade instead. Very highly rated by everyone, better coverage, and less money. They cover all small electronics, and given the cost of repairs/replacements on these phones, it's well worth the cost.

I have no affiliation with them, but I have used them, and I highly recommend them.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote