Old 05-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #21
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutarious View Post
I hated my iphone. Love my Samsung 5s active, and it's waterproof.
My thoughts exactly.
From what I understand, there's a new version coming out around the EOM, mil-spec, water proof, etc.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Note3.
Not going back to it.

Don't care for "i' anything.
Don't care for proprietary nonsense.

Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #22
Guru

Really bad experience with last Nokia, and I mean last. Happy with Samsung, my older 3 got wet last week, looked dry inside, but watching, still ok. Admiral loves iphones, the newer the better.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #23
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Rogerh, now you've done it. We're going to have to place phones on the banned list along with guns and anchors. Your phone is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough apps.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Yeah...Non replaceable battery? Not for me, but I tend to keep my phones for years. With Apple you're locked into that replacement schedule due to non-replaceable batteries. (they can be replaced, but at considerably more cost than something like a Samsung S4-S5 which will cost you <$10))
Unfortunately, the Samsung S6 is going non-replaceable battery, too. I just replaced my 4+ yr old SII with an S4. The SII ran great but the software became obsolete and the new apps and updates couldn't run on it. Even the Costco app was rendered useless!! The S4/5/6 are so much better than those of a few years ago.

With the release of the S6, I bet the S4 goes on sale for cheap...if it hasn't already.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #25
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
One nice thing about an iPhone is that you can walk into any Apple Store and get a problem resolved or a repair made. Even if you bought it from a retailer like Verizon etc. try that with any other brand.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:06 PM   #26
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
One nice thing about an iPhone is that you can walk into any Apple Store and get a problem resolved or a repair made. Even if you bought it from a retailer like Verizon etc. try that with any other brand.
Well if there happens to be an Apple store handy. Really doesn't make much difference. Regardless of brand or carrier, there are a lot more of any of ATT, Verizon, even Sprint and T-Mobile, plus Best Buy and WalMarts than Apple stores. Then there's the whole "genius bar by appointment only" issue in the bigger Apple stores (which are great stores).

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:16 AM   #27
FF
Guru

Sounds like you dont desire a phone , but an entertainment center.

For a phone the "Chat & Chuck " $20 special with 100min does the job.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:22 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
OK, i need some quick help. I have been given a choice of 3 different phones to replace my dinasore. LG Expression 2, HTC Desire 610 or the Nokia Lumia 635. What would be the best choice for a TFer. Considering need for photos, access to TF and Active Captain and some Navigation APs/programs.
Thanks for your input.
iPhone 6 (not the plus) hard to beat. I luuurve mine, and it can do all the things you want - has a great built-in GPS and the screen is about as large as you would ever want in a phone.
If pushed to name a no 2, I'd have to say HTC with Android...
Old 05-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #29
Guru

City: Tampa
A quick follow up to my original response.
I got the Samsung Note3 because I thought it would be a good business use phone. All the bells and whistles I needed for work. Camera for sharp on the go pics in the field, a built in scribe for signing docs and such, large screen for ease of use and viewing GPS, text, e-mails blah blah blah...

A year + later, probably won't do the note again.
The overall size makes it clumsy, and to big to handle in one hand easily when texting or emailing, at least for me. The screen is really not all that much larger than the standard Samsung, and I've only used the scribe a couple of times.

I like the mil-spec and water proof features of the new Samsung coming out the EOM.

Time will tell.

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #30

City: Edmonds
Of the three you were offered, take the HTC. In a perfect world, I am an iPhone guy. Do NOT get a Windows phone. Terrible support. MSFT just does not get it.
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #31
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
With the release of the S6, I bet the S4 goes on sale for cheap...if it hasn't already.
The water-resistant/replaceable-battery S5 became free at AT&T and cheap at Verizon (with new contract at each) when the not-water-resistant/not-replaceable-battery S6 was introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Haven't ever had to resolve a problem or find a repair on Nokia, Motorola, or Samsung phones. (Not counting eventual battery replacements, so far always available at the local battery store.) Had a problem with a Siemens phone in approx. 2005-ish, and the local AT&T store replaced it on the spot.

-Chris
Old 05-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #32

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
IMHO, go for an iPhone, 5 or newer plus any cellular ready IPad. Just buy once (iCloud sharing) Garmin Blue Charts or your favorite chart program add Active Captain for free. Then you have 2 Backup GPS's and Entertainment when not cruising. Oh yea you can make a phone call too. I just purchased a newer IPad and within hours all my saved planning routes, log book, years of photos, etc just showed up on it.
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
To any and everybody talking about battery replacements(all android users I noticed) has an Apple battery needed replacement yet? I haven't heard of any including my 8+ year old iPod touch.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Both of our ipods require a constant charge to operate. Unplug them for a minute and they die. My buddy's iphone battery died and he had to take it to a repair shop to get it replaced.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #35

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
I love my iPhone 6+. Best phone I've ever owned.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #36
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Never had a battery problem with my I devices.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #37
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
To any and everybody talking about battery replacements(all android users I noticed) has an Apple battery needed replacement yet? I haven't heard of any including my 8+ year old iPod touch.
I have 6 iPhones. None of them has ever needed a battery replacement. None of my Android devices has needed a replacement either. In the Bahamas, I use a pretty old iPhone 4 with a BTC SIM. We just spent the winter in the Bahamas and it worked perfectly without any sign of battery issue.

From my experience, the feature of having a replaceable battery in a phone is imagined with no real benefit.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #38
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
iPhone 6+ 32gb

Looking in the "Navigation" folder:

iSailor
Blue Chart
Marine Traffic
Buoy Data
Active Captain
Spyglass
NOAA Radar Pro
Ocean Watch
Tide Chart

I also have a "Sailing" folder...
Old 05-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #39
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
From my experience, the feature of having a replaceable battery in a phone is imagined with no real benefit.

I tend to use a given cell phone over several generations of newer versions... so we've replaced batteries at least once in several of our last two phone styles. The first pair were Motorola flip phones, and the other was a Motorola Android. I think each phone was probably 4 years old when I replaced batteries, and I think we used them each for another 3-4 years after that. Can't remember if I had to replace the battery in the other Motorola 'droid...

I don't plan on replacing either of our new S5s until approx. 2025... but won't be surprised if I have to replace batteries before that.

-Chris
Old 05-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #40
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Average battery life before replacement is usually targeted to about 90% of the user population upgrade cycle. So I'd agree that user-replaceable or not is almost always a non-issue, and the advantage of non user replaceable is typically you can cram more battery into the housing, as well as having a more sealed enclosure and structural integrity. With the advent of small universal external charging packs, the need to carry an extra model-specific battery around is lessened for those who are away from a charging source for long periods of time.

By the nature of my business, I have about every type of phone from all major carriers. What phone is best for who is a personal decision. Kind of like walk around decks vs wide body, or galley up vs galley down. Me, personally, I've never liked iOS in all its versions. I write this on a MacBook Pro, by the way, and across the room is our iMac, so its not like we are necessarily anti-Apple, though I do think their stuff is tremendously over-hyped. My daily driver has become an LG G3; I really like the way they skinned it on the Android platform. I have not liked the big Samsungs in comparison. (Some of the small, simpler low cost Samsungs are pretty nice little phones) One of the only phones I didn't swear at vociferously in the first few days of ownership; it just fit me. The G4 is even sweeter, especially the camera functionality, and if you are an Android type person, wait for it to come out and check it out for yourself.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote