Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
Member
 
pmck's Avatar
 
City: danvers ma
Country: usa
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6
Need a Marine surveyor in Ohio

Put a deposit on a boat near Sandusky Ohio. Now I need to have it surveyed any recommendations would be helpful. I have a list from the dealer but would like an independent recommendation. If you know of one please let me know.


Thanks

Peter
__________________
Advertisement

pmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,926
No recommendation on a surveyor but I am interested in how you plan to go about this purchase with a boat that should be in winter storage at this time of year. How do you plan to do a sea trial?
__________________

__________________
Buffalo Bluff Light 28
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Member
 
pmck's Avatar
 
City: danvers ma
Country: usa
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6
The boat is in heated storage and a survey of the hull and decks etc could be done anytime I think. I am not required to complete the sale until the boat is in the water in the spring and has had the engines surveyed and a sea trial.
pmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
TF Site Team
 
City: Westerly, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 823
I've purchased 2 boats in the middle of winter.

1) Submit an offer with a signed P&S subject to successful survey AND seatrial.
2) Submit a refundable deposit (Typically 10%) which is held in escrow (typically brokers escrow).
3) Hire independent surveyor for hull and structural survey
4) Determine whether you want to proceed based on results of structural survey
5) If you decided to proceed: Wait until boat can be launched in Spring
6) Bring same surveyor back for systems survey and seatrial
7) (Optional, but recommended) hire a diesel mechanic (I prefer one certified in the engine being surveyed) to survey engine and also engage in seatrial.

8) Subject to result of survey and sea-trial....renegotiate, close or cancel offer (if cancelled collect deposit).

The structural survey and sea-trial are rarely on the same day anyway, as one is done with the boat hauled and the other with the boat launched. Technically, it doesn't matter whether there is 1 day or 60 days between the structural survey and the seatrial, provided both parties are willing to wait.

A seller will take cash in the hand regardless of the month, if he truly wants to sell the boat.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
TF Site Team
 
City: Westerly, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 823
One thing to note, most P&S agreements have timelines for completing obligations by both parties. The P& S will need to be modified to accommodate the fact that the boat is hauled and more than likely blocked in by other boats. It requires flexibility.

For example it is really neither parties fault if the marina is frozen or the yard can't move 7 boats to accommodate your seatrial. Both parties are going to need to be flexible and anticipate date extensions. Both parties are going to need to be flexible in that the timing for the buyer, seller, broker, boat surveyor, engine surveyor, and yard may not easily coincide. Again, P& S dates may need to be amended.

The seller or broker should be the one working with the yard directly since he holds the storage contract with them. You should only need to worry about working with your subs.

Regarding P& S changes, make sure you not only sign your copy, but get a signed copy back acknowledging the change in the terms of the contract. You always want a copy with the most recent changes and BOTH parties signatures.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
TF Site Team
 
City: Westerly, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 823
This post should probably be moved out of "How To Use The Forum, Site News & Account Concerns" and into a more appropriate sub-forum.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
Member
 
pmck's Avatar
 
City: danvers ma
Country: usa
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6
Thanks Shrew. I will follow your guide. I have completed 1& 2 and working on the rest. The broker is actual a boat dealer who's primary business is new boat sales. The took this boat in on a trade. The boat is on there property and will be launched by them. Your note about the marina being potentially frozen was a concern and we negotiated that I get the sea trial and engine survey after the boat is launched regardless of the date. No more money changes hand until then. Again thanks for your help and I will follow your guideline. I will re post looking for a surveyer to general discussion. As you can tell I am new to the forum.

Peter
__________________

pmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012