Old 06-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake Bay,Middle River,Md.
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Need help with Pure Sine vs Modified Sine inverters

Our 1000 watt modified sine inverter wave needs replacing. Is there enough difference between pure and modified to warrant price variation.Pros /cons of each? What brands should I consider. We need only the inverter without a charger.THANKS David

David Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Yes.

But they make great chargers for very little, sometimes no, premium.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Definitely recommend a pure sine wave as all electronic devices will be happy with it. Some don't like or won't run on a modified sine wave. Might want to stop and consider whether a larger unit might be beneficial for running something like a microwave.

I really like the Magnum Energy units which have a great programable battery charger built in.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:15 PM   #4
Guru

The only thing I can add is that we will be happy to never own a Xantrex inverter/charger again! I'd go for the pure sine wave inverter but not a Xantrex...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
many appliances won't operate well using a MSW inverter. Some chargers will not only not work but will be ruined.

Given the life span of an inverter I suggest you buy pure sine wave and be prepared for more and more appliances which require pure sine wave.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
The only thing I can add is that we will be happy to never own a Xantrex inverter/charger again! I'd go for the pure sine wave inverter but not a Xantrex...
Bruce
Replaced an 18 month old Xantrex 40amp charger today. Talked to two buddies who are Certified marine electricians. One guy had replaced two near new Xantrex chargers in the last week. The other fella says he sees' the newer Xantrex chargers fail on a regular basis. My charger had a very small AC to DC leak right out of the box, in the megohm range so not going to do any damage bit both my buddies say that all the newer Xantrex units leak. My boat neighbour and pal just retired as president of IEEE, says there are design flaws in the Xantrex units.

NO MORE Xantrex on my boat !
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Replaced an 18 month old Xantrex 40amp charger today. Talked to two buddies who are Certified marine electricians. One guy had replaced two near new Xantrex chargers in the last week. The other fella says he sees' the newer Xantrex chargers fail on a regular basis. My charger had a very small AC to DC leak right out of the box, in the megohm range so not going to do any damage bit both my buddies say that all the newer Xantrex units leak. My boat neighbour and pal just retired as president of IEEE, says there are design flaws in the Xantrex units.

NO MORE Xantrex on my boat !
We had a factory installed Xantrex 2000 watt inverter charger fail after about 4 years...right before an offshore race...
Three replacements later we had a working replacement! The first two were DOA.
The third has been flawless but who wants to step into that mess again?
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

City: Dayton, OH
"Xantrex" sounds like one of those post-modern crazy pills.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
2 theories on inverters.....

Go expensive and hope for the best...and I agree that a pure sine and charger with 115v switchover is a great setup...till it fails...and in my experience and what I have read...that seems all too often. Many times with trouble or no help in getting it fixed.

The other is go cheap and have a spare or several and parcel out their duties. The only electrical/electronic piece of gear I have tried to use on a modified sine inverter that didn't work was my last computer printer....EVERYTHING else has always worked...maybe at reduced power...but never a big deal. That's over 20 years and almost 10 living aboard.

So roll the dice....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #10

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
I retired a Xantrex and replaced it with two Magnum MS2812 inverter/charger. They have worked well. I would look at Magnum, MasterVolt or Victron. I would not install a Xantrex or ProMariner.

Sterling Power also has excellent products and very good support.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:24 AM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Pure sine only. There are now a lot of electric devices that just refuse to operate otherwise. Coffee makers seem to lead that list, but microwaves will either not operate or have short lives sometimes, some digital clocks won't keep accurate time, other electronics will just fail. More and more modified sine is facing obstacles. The newer and fancier the equipment the less likely that it can handle it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Melboune
Vessel Name: Lady M
Vessel Model: Horizon 68
Only go Pure!!
Three coffee machines, two electric blankets, one Samsung 34'LCD later I have learned my lesson.
And IMHO go as big as you can, you can run more stuff, boil the kettle, run the TV no problem, When underway the engines are replacing the charge.
Buy a good brand, not the cheap "to Good To be True" jobs from China, three inverters later ...I KNOW!!
andrewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:49 AM   #13
FF
Guru

"EVERYTHING else has always worked.."

The pure sine waves are required for heavy motor loads Water maker, Air cond .

The modifies seen to do well with almost everything else.

If the vessel will "live" off the inverter with mostly dirt house appliances the sine wave is needed.

Of its just for occasional use like a TV or microwave, blender ,coffee pot the $150 1500W the inexpensive units will do the job as well .

What service do you require?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:25 AM   #14
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
I retired a Xantrex and replaced it with two Magnum MS2812 inverter/charger. They have worked well. I would look at Magnum, MasterVolt or Victron. I would not install a Xantrex or ProMariner.

Sterling Power also has excellent products and very good support.

Dunno if still the same, but apparently at one time most (all?) ProMariner and Sterling products were exactly the same units.

-Chris
Old 06-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #15
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I seriously consider buying a $2-$3000 inverter/charger all the time. My problem is about every time I go to do it... I hear of some cruiser having problems with theirs.

At $150 bucks, I can keep a spare or get one dang near anyplace along the loop....not so with the big boys and the Hassel with warranty issues too many seem to have.

Until I fry something or can't run something important while cruising that I like....I think I have my system the way it will be till one inverter company seems to have a break though in reliability.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:34 AM   #16
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Why are some of you running TV's on an inverter? 12 vdc TV's has been around since the early '70's.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #17
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
At $150 bucks, I can keep a spare or get one dang near anyplace along the loop....not so with the big boys and the Hassel with warranty issues too many seem to have.

This is the direction I'm going with my off grid cabin. When you broaden your horizons to include 24 vdc it's amazing how little ac power is needed.

Stand on the dock and take a hard look at your boat. If it has a plate that says Nordhavn, Westport, Hatteras(you get the picture) buy a pure sine. If not well,,,, reconcile your mission with budget and buy accordingly. Walking through Costco yesterday I couldn't help but notice that you could buy about 15 32" TV's for the cost of a pure sine inverter.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #18

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: St Christopher
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 50ft tri-cabin
Just fitted a new Magum mofdified sine wave, they had no pure sine waves in stock in Tortola. The freedom I had died after some 30 years approx.
The electrician recommended the Magnum (he used to be a agent for freedom /xantrex.

The only thing that does not work well on MSW is CRT type equipment. The new magnum runs all stuff on board including al the smart TV's and other smart equipment no problem.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #19
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I have an MSW 3000 watt Peak inverter.
Never would I buy a combo inverter-charger, my old Raritan converter does a good job still, it is from 1970.

Inverter has run everything, microwave, princess oven, PC, led TV, flourescent lights ok except for the 16k Cruisair heat pump.

Amazon.com: Peak PKC0AW 3000-Watt Power Inverter: Automotive

This company is now on its third iteration of that inverter. Comes with a wired remote switch.
My version looks like a double stacked inverter, inverter on top of another inverter.
I like PSW better, it works better with induction motors and transformers, otherwise, no difference.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #20
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I do like Samlex tech.
Mentions these are marine rated.

One advantage of PSW is the neutral wire can be grounded, MSW inverters split power onto both neutral and hot wires. This is not a problem wiring MSW into the wire system for a boat, but is for a house, since the house has a neutral to ground panel bond. One a boat, the gen also has a neutral to ground bond, but a twin pole (120vac), or multiple pole disconnect breaks all the connections to it.

Knurlgar24 has a lot of videos on inverters
https://www.youtube.com/user/knurlgnar24

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote