Old 06-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Don't overlook Outback Power when considering inverters. I've found their gear to be very robust, though not the easiest to configure. But once it's configured, you are done.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I have to say I will NEVER again buy an inverter charger combo. While it is possible to configure your panel to accodominate and inverter-charger it gives me eye trouble, I just cannot see it.

I think you are far better served to have a good battery charger approiate for your needs and a separate inverter, separate circuits for inverter loads. No air conditioner, water heater for instance. And definitely PURE SINE WAVE, even if you have to limit or time your load in order to buy a less expensive, smaller inverter. For instance, do not run 2 hair dryers, a toaster oven and the microwave at once.

Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I have to say I will NEVER again buy an inverter charger combo. While it is possible to configure your panel to accodominate and inverter-charger it gives me eye trouble, I just cannot see it.
What problems did you have?
Old 06-08-2016, 06:33 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
... For instance, do not run 2 hair dryers, a toaster oven and the microwave at once.
That should be easy! We don't own 2 hair dryers, a toaster oven or a microwave
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:02 AM   #25
FF
Guru

The big advantage of a sine wave/+charging unit is when the boat is created.

By specing a smaller noisemaker ( just enough to run two or three air cond as required)a far smaller unit can be installed.

The pass thru feature will take care of any instant overload from a heavy motor start, and the noisemaker will have a higher load in use than the monster "everything all the time" oversized unit.

For cruisers the ability to NOT start the noisemaker when at an out of the way marina with 30A or even just 15A , and continue their lifestyle is great!

The entire 120/240V electrical pieces and the DC portion are a System , and best viewed as one.

Not simply a pile of add on parts.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:14 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
What problems did you have?
I was not on board to see exactly what happened. The person there said he heard a loud buzz and a pop and down goes TV. I did not have my panel split properly and I suspect we lost shore power and the whole load hit the 3-8d's going through a auto switched mod pro mariner mod sine wave inverter. Air con, water heater was on the load.

Now I only use inverted power sparingly. All refrigeration, lights, fans and so forth is 12 volt. I have a Samplex 1.5 kW pure sine wave inverter that has 1 outlet. I have to manually plug into this separate circuit for inverted power. Really only used at anchor and load is closely monitored. Need more then I fire up the genset. AC and hot water is normally the only need because I have 1135 amps of stowage and 750 kW solar and 400 watts of wind.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #27
Guru

Thanks for the update. There are lots of ways to go with inverter, and lots of ways to mess things up, create overloads, etc. But correctly installed with good equipment, they work great. I have a house with all the usual amenities, plus work shop with compressor and car lift, and everything is powered by a single 120/240V inverter/charger with solar as primary power source, and an 11kw diesel generator as secondary. The whole thing has never skipped a beat. And on my boat our 120V service is 100% inverter/charger powered with automatic passthru and charging when on shore or gen power. Nothing ever even blinks. And I'm in the process of extending the inverter service to a couple of 240V appliances.

So the concept is sound and reliable, provided you have good equipment and it's installed correctly. But there is also a lot of junk out there which is very tempting given its price. If you don't mind failures and replacement, the cheap stuff can work for you. Or you can belly up for a more robust system if your needs justify it.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #28
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
I was not on board to see exactly what happened. The person there said he heard a loud buzz and a pop and down goes TV. I did not have my panel split properly and I suspect we lost shore power and the whole load hit the 3-8d's going through a auto switched mod pro mariner mod sine wave inverter. Air con, water heater was on the load.

Now I only use inverted power sparingly. All refrigeration, lights, fans and so forth is 12 volt. I have a Samplex 1.5 kW pure sine wave inverter that has 1 outlet. I have to manually plug into this separate circuit for inverted power. Really only used at anchor and load is closely monitored. Need more then I fire up the genset. AC and hot water is normally the only need because I have 1135 amps of stowage and 750 kW solar and 400 watts of wind.
So the problem was that you didn't install it correctly. As someone who lived on inverter power 80% of the time in weeks, even months of full time living aboard on moorings and anchored, for several years, (let alone while underway) I found having a good marine inverter charger system to be invaluable, and one of, if not the very most reliable systems on board.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #29
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I have the Magnum Energy 2812 inverter charger and am happy with it. I leave the inverter switched to "off" unless I need to run an appliance or some AC lighting.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Another H U G E fan of Magnum. I have an 80 amp Charles charger. I was looking for a PSW stand alone inverter in the 2000 watt range. Unless you want to go Xantrex or other cheap stuff, there just isn't any decent stand alone powerful PSW inverters. So I have a 120 amp charger with a 2000 watt inverter. Do it right. Do it once. Be done with it. I never thought I would have an emotional attachment to a piece of electrical equipment, but I love the thing. And let's not forget. If you like your batteries, the Magnum is a 4 stage charger. The fourth stage being a resting stage where there is no charge on the batteries. The charger/BMK monitors the bank and will re apply the float charge if needed. A continuous float charge can theoretically be harmful to batteries over time. Anyway, my point being is, while you are not looking for a charger, you get one as a bonus. And in the Case of the Magnum Energy unit, a damn good one!!! The programmability of the Magnum is a huge plus as well...both on the inverter side as well as the charging side.

PS....a Xantrex PSW 1800 watt inverter only is almost the same price as the Magnum 2000/120amp inverter charger. And the Magnum is a SIGNIFICANTLY better unit!!!

PSS...I keep the Charles Charger off unless I really drained the batteries and need lots of charging power. Then it can work in tandem with the Magnum.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Another H U G E fan of Magnum. I have an 80 amp Charles charger. I was looking for a PSW stand alone inverter in the 2000 watt range. Unless you want to go Xantrex or other cheap stuff, there just isn't any decent stand alone powerful PSW inverters. So I have a 120 amp charger with a 2000 watt inverter. Do it right. Do it once. Be done with it. I never thought I would have an emotional attachment to a piece of electrical equipment, but I love the thing. And let's not forget. If you like your batteries, the Magnum is a 4 stage charger. The fourth stage being a resting stage where there is no charge on the batteries. The charger/BMK monitors the bank and will re apply the float charge if needed. A continuous float charge can theoretically be harmful to batteries over time. Anyway, my point being is, while you are not looking for a charger, you get one as a bonus. And in the Case of the Magnum Energy unit, a damn good one!!! The programmability of the Magnum is a huge plus as well...both on the inverter side as well as the charging side.

PS....a Xantrex PSW 1800 watt inverter only is almost the same price as the Magnum 2000/120amp inverter charger. And the Magnum is a SIGNIFICANTLY better unit!!!

PSS...I keep the Charles Charger off unless I really drained the batteries and need lots of charging power. Then it can work in tandem with the Magnum.
Amen! My inverter was a Magnum MS4024 with a multifunction system remote, Battery Monitor Kit and Auto Generator Start. Their support was great. How is it now that they have merged with Sensata?

Quote:
I leave the inverter switched to "off" unless I need to run an appliance or some AC lighting.
I don't understand why you'd want to turn the inverter off....?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 06-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
So the problem was that you didn't install it correctly. As someone who lived on inverter power 80% of the time in weeks, even months of full time living aboard on moorings and anchored, for several years, (let alone while underway) I found having a good marine inverter charger system to be invaluable, and one of, if not the very most reliable systems on board.
No argument that the boat was not set up properly. Lesson learned. My current boat is set up so I have minimal need for inverted power. All lighting, refergeration and fans are 12 volt. Stuff like TV, ice maker croc pot is about the only thing that is suitable for inverted power. My 1.5kw unit, when needed will do fine. The battery charger is a single bank smart 110 Amp hoss. I feel I have hands on control with this set up. Need lot of power then the genset gets to work. Works for me.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #33
TF Site Team

Quote:
No argument that the boat was not set up properly. Lesson learned. My current boat is set up so I have minimal need for inverted power. All lighting, refergeration and fans are 12 volt. Stuff like TV, ice maker croc pot is about the only thing that is suitable for inverted power. My 1.5kw unit, when needed will do fine. The battery charger is a single bank smart 110 Amp hoss. I feel I have hands on control with this set up. Need lot of power then the genset gets to work. Works for me.
Not a damn thing wrong with that philosophy. Basically mine before I got the inverter. When I bought it and had it installed, I had sever buyer's remorse....basically I got it so the icemaker would keep running and so I didn't have to start the generator when somebody wanted to charge a cellphone. What I am shocked about is now I do not run the generator hardly at all!!! So there is some value in the lack of wear and tear on the generator and a little savings in fuel. Not trying to convince anyone here. Like I said, just shocked I don't run the generator at all really. So much so that I need to make a conscious effort to fire it up due to lack of use. With the Texas heat finally upon us, it will get a work out I am sure!!!
Old 06-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #34
Guru

Beware...run that generator once a week for at least 30 minutes with a load. Found out the hard way.

I left your neck of the woods in '86. 1973-1986....Friendswood. Went to Fort Worth, after Alicia Hurricane and complete cable replacement by the phone company cable repair need was diminished, I managed cable repairmen SBC, now ATT.. Now in FL living on a Trawler retired of course.

After Ike year later, went back to Crystal Beach to find the old beach house. Found a 2" square piece tile on the plowed vacant lot, that was it.... Memories....
Old 06-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #35
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
I don't understand why you'd want to turn the inverter off....?
Because...most of my receptacles are on the inverter side and I down want heaters and dehumidifiers continuation to run in the event of a shot power failure...not ideal, I know but what I am doing for now until I wire some more receptacles onto the shore side of the panel.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #36

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
We had a Prosign 2000 pure sine inverter/ charger installed back in 2010 when we purchased our '81 GB. We upgraded the whole electrical system at that time. It has worked flawlessly for 6 years now. With the long hot summers here on Dauphin Island, AL we do run our generator most of the time for air conditioning etc though. But when day running, the engines do the charging and the basic equipment such as our engel freezer, ice maker, and basic 110 v stuff in on the inverter. All good.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #37
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I have a 2500 watt PSW Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter/charger. Been fine for 4 years now. Thanks to all for scaring the pants off me. Saving my $$ for the replacement.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
I have a 2500 watt PSW Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter/charger. Been fine for 4 years now. Thanks to all for scaring the pants off me. Saving my $$ for the replacement.
Just because they have a poor reputation doesn't mean they all break. Dockside rumor has it that quality improved a few years after the private equity firm that owned them for awhile sold to Schneider of France in 2008.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #39
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Just because they have a poor reputation doesn't mean they all break. Dockside rumor has it that quality improved a few years after the private equity firm that owned them for awhile sold to Schneider of France in 2008.
it didn't stop my one year old charger from crapping out 3 days ago or the two others (of similar age) my buddy replaced the week before.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #40
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
HAHAHA!!! Sorry man...I laughed out loud when I read that. I did have the Xantrex 1800 PSW inverter on My Mainship. It had failed. I didn't use it much so I didn't replace it. But had to after the survey and the future owner wanted it replaced.