Need help locating 2 micron secondary filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwk

Vessel Name
Patty Ann
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 MK1 1980
I changed the CAV filter set up on Perkin 6.354 to spin on. I have been using Donaldson P551039 which is water separator 15 microns cause I have not found a 2 micron filter. I have crossed referenced with no results. What are other folks using on Perkins ? Suggestions? David

FLYWRIGHT, I called Brian for filters and he said he has no idea what spin on 2 micron filter would fit the adapter. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I believe original were 30 micron. 2 micron is overkill and could possibly cause a plugged filter at the wrong time.

Agreeing w Terry.
Don't see any need to filter that fine. I had 2micron filters 10 years ago and had an OMG what am I doing moment. Been using 30 mic filters since.

FLYWRIGHT, I called Brian for filters and he said he has no idea what spin on 2 micron filter would fit the adapter. Any suggestions?

David, Brian's my go-to Perkins guy. Maybe you've got a retrofit system on your engine...not OEM? Sorry if I misled. Was thinking Perkins brand products.

My secondary filters (not spin on) are 2u and when I called Brian about the recommended filtration for my dual primaries, he said to stick with the 2u, so I did. Haven't had a problem with it so far. (knock on wood)

Perkins here used to sell on engine final filters, branded Perkins. I never knew what micron they were.

You may want to read this service bulletin from Racor, before using 2 micron filter as a secondary. They recommend running a 10 micron primary before it so they don't plug so quickly. At 2 microns they can be used as a water separator. You don't need to go that fine if you're using a water separator in the primary.

Common rail fuel systems use them, but never seen them used on the older Perkins Cav systems. I know the Perkins OEM gasket, cap and bolt secondary filter can be a pain to change, but I change them so seldom. I've never thought about retrofitting them with a spin on.

http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/Mobile_The_Micron_Rating.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom