Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Need help finding full displacement boat

Anybody have a list of full displacement trawlers in the 40'-45' range?* I previously had a CT35 but didn't think it was big enough to go under the gate.* We bought a Union 36 and sailed to Mexico twice.* Now we're looking for a trawler that will get us to Mexico or Alaska.

Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Need help finding full displacement boat

Pretty hard to beat Nordhavn if you have the funds. I think Willard made some models in the 40' range but Eric Henning is your expert on that manufacturer. Lots of custom displacement boats or fishboat conversions around if you're interested in that sort of thing. Krogen is a displacement boat but I don't know anything about their reputation as open water boats.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788

*Are you*looking for a passagemaker? Or are you looking for a boat that is "comfortable" at displacement speeds.

As far as true ocean crossing production*passagemakers the list is pretty small.

Nordhavn

Krogen

Hatteras LRC

Willard

Some of the Defevers

There are allot of boats that are not necessarily passagemakers but operate well at displacement speeds. That is what the majority here seem to own.

Instead of thinking that "I want a full displacement boat" it might be better to think about what you want to do with the boat, then get a boat that fits those needs. Most of the boats owned by folks that post here can go up the west coast in decent weather.

*I own a 4788 Bayliner for example. Is it a passagemaker? No. Is it even technically a trawler? No, it can cruise up to 15 knots. But it handles well at 7 knots, gets almost 2 nmpg and has 800 NM of range.

But, in three months I'll start a 1500 NM (one way)*trip up the inside passage to Alaska. This will include a 340NM open water Gulf Of Alaska crossing. In years to come I will have no issues taking that boat down the california coast in good weather to Mexico. If we wanted to we could even go south and cross into the Caribbean via the Panama Canal. Remember its all costal cruising.

So, I'd start with your goals, and get a boat that meets those goals.

-- Edited by ksanders on Thursday 5th of January 2012 10:17:53 PM
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

Some other builders are Selene, Sunnfjord, and Park Isle. The latter two are small volume so probably wouldn't have anything used, but they do build in your stated size range.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #5

Thank you all for your input. I'm leaning toward a Krogen 42. They seem to be solid boats with a pretty good set of owners who take care of their boats. I like the sea kindly full displacement hull and the fuel economy that goes with it. Besides, she's a good looking "shippy" boat, draws stares going by or at anchor. We still have a lot of time before we can start spending time at a marina much less cruising. We're both retired but have some other things to arrange before we can go. That makes it time to start looking!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #6

Our friends have a Nordhaven 46.* They tied up next to us and I knew I was doomed as soon as the admiral walked on board!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Boats with minimal superstructure appear more capable*of open-water/sea cruising.* They typically are converted fishing vessels (as pictured below)*or designs similar to the Diesel Ducks by*Buehler.

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 5th of January 2012 10:52:57 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing trawler.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	9333  
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

One boat that first jumps to my mind, and would likely fit the bill for a cruising couple, and likely one of the most affordable, would be a 40' Willard.*
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
Master and Commander

I don't believe "sedan" style cruisers with large windows (as in the Coot's saloon and*a majority of trawler designs) are a good choice for open-ocean cruising.* A large wave is more likely to break them.* A proper ocean-going vessel should be capable of shedding water quickly, unlike the high bulwards on the Coot (designed for coastal/gunkholing cruising).

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 5th of January 2012 11:30:50 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	looking at you.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	9334  
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Apophyge wrote:
Anybody have a list of full displacement trawlers in the 40'-45' range?* I previously had a CT35 but didn't think it was big enough to go under the gate.* We bought a Union 36 and sailed to Mexico twice.* Now we're looking for a trawler that will get us to Mexico or Alaska.
*Note that there is no intention to cross an ocean. Coastal cruising with an effort toward watching the weather might save the need for bombproof windows.

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 5th of January 2012 11:30:51 PM
Old 01-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
Master and Commander

The owner of sail-less Coot #5 (Cormorant)*is planning this year to*run the vessel from San Diego to Seattle, including a stop in the San Francisco estuary.* The Cormorant's blue stern shows in this view astern Carquinez Coot.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 6th of January 2012 01:21:54 AM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cormorant stern.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	9340  
Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788

This is interesting...

People mistakenly think that they need a passagemaker to do coastal cruising.

In reality for folks not planning to cross oceans, getting the most comfortable, functional boat they can will probably provide for the happiest long term boating experience.

Maybe thats a passagemaker. But for the OP's stated cruising area, limiting your self to a passagemaker can eliminate some really nice capable, comfortable boats.

I love the look of the Nordhavns. But you don't need one to do coastal cruising; and allot of capable boats in the same size range have ALLOT more interior room.
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

There was a memorable - to me at least - post on the PMM forum years ago by a fellow who had done a whack of research and had settled on a Nordhavn. As he was about to sign on the dotted line for a new build, he looked at the small cabin sizes, slow speed, minimum side decks, and poor dockside amenities, and said to himself "Whoa..."

He scrapped the Nordhavn plans, bought himself a very nice Grand Banks, and never looked back. As you can probably guess, he had never intended on going offshore.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #14
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Krogen 42s are very capable of what you want to do. After all, the only reason anyone crosses an ocean is to go coastal cruising somewhere else. The Krogen's only weak spots are the big saloon windows and the 1/4" windows in the pilothouse. Either of which can be covered with storm plates, but if you just stay out of really snotty weather, no problem.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Conrad wrote:
*As he was about to sign on the dotted line for a new build, he looked at the small cabin sizes, slow speed, minimum side decks, and poor dockside amenities, and said to himself "Whoa..."
* * * * I've cruised on two different Nordhavns & can identify with the above quote. They are a quality boat but not for me.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 6th of January 2012 03:38:00 PM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #16

The biggest stretch of open ocean we'll be crossing is from Cabo to Puerta Vallarta and maybe the gulf of Tuhuanapec. We had the Union set up to cross to the Marquessas but the auxillary blew and we had to rebuild it in La Paz... friends left without us and then we were needed at home. The moment has passed and we no longer feel the compulsion to cruise the South Pacific. That said, we still like the full displacement hull, Europa styling and single engine configuration. I've seen some great boats while cruising and they all have their points, good and bad, but picking a boat is like picking an anchor. (After a few years of cruising I like the anchor and rode on the Carl Vinson.)
Old 01-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

There are many of full displacement boats that are not well know so you have to search them out and know what you are looking at/for?* *Choy Lee, Delta, Vic Frank, Offshore, Hansen, Roughwater, Sunnfjord, Cape Horn to mention a few.* There are also many commercial custom full displacement boats that can be capable/comfortable cruising boats. To cruise the Pacific coast and as you head north will probable require a more capable long range boat as larger fuel, heat, water, sanitation, storage ground tackle and stability are required.* *******
Also walk the commercial/pleasure docks and yards to see what boats look like below the water line. You might decide that best suits is still a sail boat.* **The is a Seattle Boat Show and Afloat show that most of the trawler will be there, January 27 thru Feb 5.* If you plan on going let me know.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Someone enjoyed New Years aboard their Nordhavn 68(?) in the lagoon at Bora Bora.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsc02200.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	9378  
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
Guru

I don't know if this fits your budget, but if it fit mine...

She's a 2002 Sunnfjord 49' Pilothouse. $389,000.

Check her out in detail at discoveryyachts.net
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	545834_0_080620101113_1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	9381  
Old 01-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Conrad wrote:
... and had settled on a Nordhavn. As he was about to sign on the dotted line for a new build, he looked at the small cabin sizes, slow speed, minimum side decks, and poor dockside amenities, and said to himself "Whoa..."
*Sounds like us.* Our short list came down to Nordhavn, Krogen, and Selene.* The Nordie lost because of many of these listed issues, but mostly because until you get over 47' (except the no longer produced 46) you don't get any walkaround side decks.* The KK lost out mostly because I wasn't happy with the engine room.* The Selene has everything we wanted end ended up being right for us.*

Once you narrow your list down to boats that are capable of doing what you want it becomes pretty subjective.

Dave

-- Edited by magicbus on Saturday 7th of January 2012 02:10:07 PM

magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote