Old 01-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
RE: Need help finding full displacement boat

Quote:
magicbus wrote:...* The Nordie lost because of many of these listed issues, but mostly because until you get over 47' (except the no longer produced 46) you don't get any walkaround side decks. ...

*360-degree walkaround decks were on my list of "gotta haves."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0991.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	9382  

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Need help finding full displacement boat

Bob,

Go on yacht world and look at hundreds of boats. ALL kinds of boats including full displacement boats. There's a 40 some foot Devlin that's real sweet and other boats made in excellent small yards from Maine to the Philippines.

Also check out this site*http://www.tadroberts.ca/

Eric Henning

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Saturday 7th of January 2012 03:48:53 PM

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Having*walked on many Nordhavn side decks, all I can say is it must have been a dream.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #24

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler

We own a Willard 40 Vega. Northstar is #2 of*three*widebody boats*made by Willard Marine*in the late 70's. Total production for the 40 footers was fewer than two dozen. These boats were built stout, with a full displacement hull and*a deep keel that runs*from stem to her rounded stern. Northstar carries 600 gals of fuel*for a*range of well over 2000 nm and*300 gals of water. Willards are great coastal cruisers, but so too are the Krogens and other boats* mentioned here. My favorite is still the Nordhavn 46 -- a true passagemaker and a modern classic, for sure!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	alaska 2009 160.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	9385  
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #25
FF
Guru

My favorite is still the Nordhavn 46 -- a true passagemaker and a modern classic, for sure!

There is an almost new one on our dock.

Asking $750,000 , been to Tahiti , so far.

Come take it away,
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #26

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:
Having*walked on many Nordhavn side decks, all I can say is it must have been a dream.
Well then it's time to wake up and stop dreaming about old Nordies! *Only the out-of-production 50 and 57 models allowed you to do a 360 walkaround. *I thought you could on the older 46, but apparently not. *

It is an interesting marketing decision to expand the saloon 16" in favor of dual side decks. *On the 43 and 47's we looked at seriously, the one available "side deck" is a toe ledge with a hand rail. *The thought of losing someone over the side between the boat and a dock as they transitioned gave me nightmares.

Dave
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #27
Guru

Fred says *"My favorite is still the Nordhavn 46"

I FULLY agree Fred. Style wise I do'nt care for ANY other Nordhavn's at all. The book Voyaging Under Power has a N46 on the cover and I ca'nt turn my eyes away from that picture very quickly. We even have an N46 here in Craig. Look at the interesting way this guy hangs his fenders. It's one of the very few trawler yachts that has a sensible amount of power. Also I think walk around decks on a small boat is stupid. I've got one and could REALLY use the cabin space. A way to get fore and aft is a must but we do'nt need full walk around decks at all.

Eric

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 8th of January 2012 11:30:55 AM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sth71903.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	3498  
Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #28

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler

Not sure I understand why side decks are important? My 40' trawler is a widebody -- no side decks -- and I can't think of a time when I missed them. Though I suppose it would be more convenient to walk from astern to the bow without*going through the boat's interior...Also, side decks provide*more* surface area to catch*boarding seas! That said, covered side decks do provide*good*protection to the saloon*from rain*(leaky windows) and bright sun (cooler interior).
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #29
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

I have to say that having the additional interior room would be preferential, given the little bit of time I spend on deck.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #30
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Ahh, so 360 degrees is the benchmark. Well throw out the Selene 57 I was on last month, it had no port side deck. And chuck out**several trawler models of Krogen, North Pacific, OA* AT and NT**for lacking the 360 walk around.

Even though our current vessel is 360 degrees for side deck access, I have been on so many really nice asymetrical designs, it seems an overblown desirement provided you have good safe access for fender tie downs and rope work.

The earlier Nordhavn 62s were 360 but most later new builds were asymetrical by overwhelming customer demand. The Nordhaven 57 is ideal to me, it has a salon push out to port*but then the sidedeck resumes right at the port side galley door.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #31

I wanted completely walkaround as I feel it is much easier to go through the locks that way..
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #32
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC

In our recent search for a power liveaboard/workaboard research vessel, we included traditional flush deck motoryachts in our searches. Right now the market for motoryachts is pretty soft. We found some VERY nice boats in the Seattle area (45-66 feet) for under $200K. The only thing that kept us from seriously considering that type of vessel was fuel consumption. However, as someone mentioned earlier, if you don't plan on crossing an ocean, a good, solid coastal cruiser should be fine - provided you don't head out in really bad conditions. So if fuel is not an issue, a motoryacht that can hit upwards of 15-18 knots can at least run for cover should the weather turn unexpectedly. And you'll certainly have a great deal of living space aboard - sometimes even downright luxurious... Check out the Broward for sale in Seattle for a good example.

Of course the other thing that has us staying in the trawler category beyond fuel use is we do like the general lines of trawlers better.
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #33
Guru

Badger,

But how much time do you spend going through the locks and how much actual inconvenience will you loose w/o the side decks. And of paramount importance how much space will you loose? Just say'in

Eric
Old 01-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #34

It is not time saver for us.* It was a safety issue.* As our kids get older, I expect them to be wanting to help tend the lines as we go through the locks.* I did not want them hanging on toe board and grab rail to get to the front of the boat.

Our boat will be in fresh water.* I would imagine we will be through the locks 10-15 times a year at least as we leave for the San Juans and the sound.*

If we end up in the big lock, we will rafting with other boats on both sides.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #35

Good thing that the manufacturers make different models!

With an 11.5' wide saloon I don't know why we would need more space. I'm happier having a covered deck on both sides so my wife can easily set lines, fenders or pick up a mooring ball on either side. With our high freeboard we can't get a mooring ball without running a line back almost to the stern which would be really awkward w/o side decks. Plus our dogs have a place to burn off some energy playing with a ball in the protected confines of the side decks.

Different stokes for different folks. Having been on the N46 Jenny (which just sold) in Baltimore I was surprised at how narrow it is so picking up extra interior space is helpful. We chose a widebody instead.

Dave
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #36
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

I am not a full time cruiser but have spent time over the years on a 57 Defever in the Sea of Cortez, a Nordhavn 57 at the slip, at anchor (Desolation Sound)* and numerous sport fishing outings on my two sport fishers. As for the quality of the Nordy 57, it was excellent, access to the bow from the stern was fine but the forward cabin was on the small (short) side. When standing at the foot of the bed and closing the stateroom door, my heels were often scraped by the door because of insufficient clearance.

I've stated in other posts that I've had my my share of boats over the years. I've also stated that my biggest enjoyment from boats comes from using them as test beds to try out lots of new technical bells & whistles. After having 8 boats since 1995 of varying designs, I've decided that, for me, the Europa style boats offer the most bang for the buck (amenities, comfort, looks, ease of docking, protection from the sun & rain,etc.) Extended boat decks above the cockpit and side entry from both port & starboard are equally appealing.

It would not be a full displacement boat as I would like to cruise in the mid teens & have no realistic wants to cross big bodies of water.

If I were to dispose (sell, gift or donate) of my current boat and buy something that incorporates most or all of the above criteria, it would be this one.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	42 grand banks.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	3295  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
Moonfish wrote:
*Check out the Broward for sale in Seattle for a good example.
There is an old saying in the yacht business;

"Friends don't let friends buy Browards."

They have a reptution as the Bayliner of the entry level larger yachts.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
nwboater wrote:
Not sure I understand why side decks are important? My 40' trawler is a widebody -- no side decks -- and I can't think of a time when I missed them.
Everybody uses their boat differently and has different priorities.* We woud not even consider buying a boat that did not have a full, one-level, walk around deck.* The deck on our GB is pretty good but if the side decks were another foot wider they would be even better.

We move things from the main cabin to the aft deck or foredeck, between the foredeck and aft deck, or from the flying bridge to the foredeck, and being able to walk unobstructed pretty much anywhere we want to go on the outside of the boat is great.* Having to clamber through or maneuver stuff through the cabins or up and down the companionway to a sundeck would be a pain the ass, I think.

Having the full side decks is a must for the way we pick up a mooring buoy, and being able to move easlly along the entire length of the boat is very helpful when docking and rafting.

We have on occasion moved our stern anchor and rode up to the bow and it's a simple and quick matter to just pick them up and walk right up forward.* And then take them back when we're done using them.

An extra foot or so in the width of the main cabin would not even begin to offset the loss of a walkaround deck for the way we use a boat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788

Quote:
RickB wrote:Moonfish wrote:
*Check out the Broward for sale in Seattle for a good example.
There is an old saying in the yacht business;

"Friends don't let friends buy Browards."

They have a reptution as the Bayliner of the entry level larger yachts.

*Interesting...

So, please do tell What reputation do Bayliner Yachts have?

Are they a quality product, or do they deserve whatever reputation they have?

-- Edited by ksanders on Monday 9th of January 2012 12:02:18 AM
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #40
Scraping Paint

City: -

While I don't have even a tiny fraction of the exposure to the marine manufacturers' world that Rick has, I have heard a number of times that the boats Bayliner made at their now-closed Arlington manufacturing facility, which was where they made their larger models, were quite good. People I heard talking about this over the years always differentiated between the smaller Bayliner "mass market" boats and their larger "motoryachts."

However I have not had any direct experience with any Bayliner model, large or small. But based on the few Bayliner owners I have met over the years, experienced people who used their boats for extensive cruising in the PNW and up the coast to Alaska and back, I think the Bayliner "reputation" is not deserved based on the boats themselves. Because the "mass market" models in particular are relatively low priced, it means people who perhaps shouldn't are able to get into "big boat" boating, so we tend to identify their subsequent mistakes, ignorance, or inconsiderate practices with the boat, not the boater.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 9th of January 2012 02:10:59 AM

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote