Need help and advice - new issue with shaft seal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The double universal joints make it effective and remove any vibration or alignment problems so a hard mounted stuffing box is acceptable. Most have a flange with a pair of bolts holding it to the hull. Based upon the shockingly overbuilt drive shaft I am intrigued as to what connection there might be to the shaft log if any at all is needed.

This is a custom built one-off design so you will find unique, expensive and whimsical ways of handling common situations. I've always hated that stupid rubber shaft log hose and the clumsy way of aligning everything. But it's on damn near every production boat.

If I'm not mistaken, those U joints need to be 90 degrees out of phase. This cancels the accel/deccel as the U joints swivel. Not very critical if the angles are low, but what I see there is bad practice.

It's not particularly uncommon. Most jackshaft install use U joints; then again, most jackshaft systems are much longer.

ps: i am mistaken. this phasing is correct.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, those U joints need to be 90 degrees out of phase. This cancels the accel/deccel as the U joints swivel. Not very critical if the angles are low, but what I see there is bad practice.

It's not particularly uncommon. Most jackshaft install use U joints; then again, most jackshaft systems are much longer.

ps: i am mistaken. this phasing is correct.

Here is a great demonstration of u-joint 'phasing' or 'clocking', I remember this from my auto shop class when I was a kid :D

Obviously most marine applications have relatively small shaft angles, so this is less of an issue, but they still should be in phase.

Here is a great demonstration of u-joint 'phasing' or 'clocking', I remember this from my auto shop class when I was a kid :D

Obviously most marine applications have relatively small shaft angles, so this is less of an issue, but they still should be in phase.

I colds a had a V8!! Thanks for link/video.

Greetings,
Mr. LM. Did they even HAVE autos when you were a kid?

200.gif

Greetings,
Mr. LM. Did they even HAVE autos when you were a kid?

200.gif

Yep, it was one of these, passed down to me by my dad. We called it "The Green Hornet" :D

BTW, you crack me up!

1950_Oldsmobile_Delta_88_Sedan-green-fVr=mx=.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. LM. WOW. '49 or '50 Olds. We had a '51 but WAAAYYY before I could drive...

th

Dark blue, she was, if I recall...

Last edited:
If the leak is at the junction of A and B then I would be concerned. It looks like there has been an older previous attempt to stop a leak in the location with the application of Red Hand epoxy. B should not rotate on A. I suspect the hex nut was originally a locking nut to prevent rotation and probably fits into a detente in the fiberglass stern tube. It is no longer locking if this piece can rotate. IF this is the case, I would haul, remove the stern tube packing retainer (part B) and have it reattached to the stern tube properly.
Please note I had a lot of "if's" in the comment. It all depends if I am understanding your description of the issue properly.

Sorry for the thread creep everyone.

RT,

Yes, it was a '50 model Super 88 with a Rocket V8 and a Hydra-Matic transmission. It was 15 years old when I got it, but it still seemed pretty fast.

Some say it was the first 'muscle car' :D

Can you post a video showing the movement? It would help show what is wrong.

Hello everyone! First of all thousands of hank you to everybody, each of you deserve a cold one on me, and if you pass by my location, be sure I will pay my due!.
Now the news. This morning we did a slow round around the marina, checking the shaft at idle speed than slowly increasing the speed until cruising speed... no vibration, no movement, no excess water ingress and the piece that I was able to move by hand (B) did not move at all. So we went for a pump out and at 11AM we started our cruise, monitoring the bilge where is the shaft every 30 minutes along the way. We are now at anchor in Clarence Bay on the Ottawa river, after a 6h cruise without any issue. The only thing I noticed is a change in my oil pressure reading but I was expecting it a bit as I changed the oil type that was used. The PO used 15w40 oil that was an alternative oil for my engine (it is mentionned in the Herule D298 owner manual, and my engine is a derivative marine version of this one). When I did my oil change I used straight SAE w30 which was mentionned as the preferred oil, and the anual mention also some reading change in working oil pressure. Before my oil pressure was almost always the same now it vary with RPM, lower at low RPM higher at high RPM within the normal range.

Long story short, we will do our 2 weeks and half cruise like this, if nothing goes wrong at the end of the season after haul out I will remove the hex screw and slide the bronze part (B) and check the stern tube in fiberglass for any damaged. If no damage I will seal it correctly.

Again, I will never be able to express how much I appreciated your help.

Best Regards,

L.

Hail, Hail The Gang's All Here!!

Congrats - ENJOY!

Glad you're sound and underway. So you're heading north on the Ottawa River? Are you doing the loop through Ottawa and Kingston?

Glad you're sound and underway. So you're heading north on the Ottawa River? Are you doing the loop through Ottawa and Kingston?

The initial plan was to go down to Kingston, spend 2 days at confederation bassin, then go around the Prince Edward County, and back up the Rideau to Ottawa and Hawkesbury. But now that we have only 2 1/2 weeks left not sure we will go till Kingston. We may spend more time on the Rideau and go back. I really like Kingston, if time permit we will do the round trip but I do not want to rush, I need a break :D

L.

Ah so you're not going on the St Lawrence. Thought you were in Montreal. Where's your home port?

I'm heading for the Rideau, starting from Lake Erie next week. Let us know how your trip goes.

Our home port is Hawkesbury, ON on the Ottawa river. Boat i registered to Quebec city port but our berth is in Hawkesbury. I will keep you posted on our Rideau adventures. If you go from Erie next week great chance we will cross each other :)

Regards,

Update: After 3 weeks cruise, a bit more than 60 hours of running, there was no issue with the shaft seal. The drop rate at the packing level is now the usual one (1 drop every 10 second while under way, almost no drop while at the dock) and the part that was worrying me has not move or deteriorated.
If everything still goes well I will keep things as is until next haul out in October and check everything when I will be on the hard.

L.

Update: After 3 weeks cruise, a bit more than 60 hours of running, there was no issue with the shaft seal. The drop rate at the packing level is now the usual one (1 drop every 10 second while under way, almost no drop while at the dock) and the part that was worrying me has not move or deteriorated.
If everything still goes well I will keep things as is until next haul out in October and check everything when I will be on the hard.

L.

Bravo!

Back
Top Bottom