Need a couple of ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capn Chuck

Guru
I have a few thoughts on these, but I would like to hear what others are doing. First, what does anyone with the Weaver style davits use to raise the dinghy up onto the swim platform? And B, what do you do to lower and raise the mast for bridge clearances like those encountered on the Loop? Keeping in mind that we have an MT 34 DC. Thanks, Chuck

Dingy: you have a mast and boom, so put a block at the end of the boom and run your lifting line through it.

Mast: mine has radar on it, so is fairly heavy. It goes down for every time I go into my shelter. I had a frame fabbed, of 1.25" Alu, in an "A", that fastens to the mast above the boom, and when I drop the mast it swings down as legs for the mast to rest on. I attach a line to the underside of the Radar mount, which is as high up as I can reach comfortably, from standing on the storage box below it. This one part tackle is adequate, provided I brace my foot against the railing while lowering. Raising is easier. The only trick is releasing the pin that locks the mast in its collar at the flybridge deck level, and getting up to hold the tackle before the mast starts to fall over on its own. This is easier when the boom is raised, as the COG is further forward, the weight of the radar on the front, balancing the boom on the back.

We take the 3 to 1 block and tackle that came with our lifesling and attach one end to a piece of line with an eye coming from the boat deck, and the other end goes to the dingy.* It's an easy matter for one person to pull it up to a vertical position before attaching the rods to hold it in place while under way.* By the way,* I never leave it on the davits if we expect any kind of weather.* I once chartered a boat that had a Livingston on Weaver davits, and during a storm we punched into a moderate sized wave, only to have it wrap around the stern and rip the Livingston off the mothership.* The stainless bar stock actually broke.* There was no way to recover the boat in the seas we were in, so we anchored for the night, and in the morning we searched the beach until we saw two guys carrying it towards a truck.* I fired up the loudhaler and thanked them for finding our boat, but that only caused them to start running with it.* We finally got it back, but had to offer them some cash to avoid an ugly scene.* Since then we load the dingy on the boat deck when ever heavy weather is forecast.............Arctic Traveller

1. we just use the hand powered boom winch to crank up the dinghy when on the davits.

2. the mast has a hinge within 15" of the pilothouse deck - so If I need clearance the entire mast just folds down

I have a Livingston 9' dinghy on the Weaver davits. I use a triple reduction block setup between the big boat transom and the dinghy. Both block have snap shackles so I can disconnect easily.
The engine is removed from the dinghy and sits on a transom mounted bracket.

I don't have a mast and boom

I have a 11" Aquapro inflatable on Weaver Davit with a 15hp Yamaha motor. Nine years ago I added a manual Sea Wise http://www.davitsystem.com/config_manual.htm works great and has been absolutely problem free. Sure beats lifting the motor on/off or towing the inflatable and only takes minutes. No affiliation, just a great product.

Clectric, I just sent you a private message with some questions about the Livingston Dinghy.
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Sunday 26th of September 2010 11:17:39 AM

Steve,
I replied. I just thought I'd better say so since I'm not sure I did it correctly.

Back
Top Bottom