need a/c advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wfleenor

Vessel Name
Double-Wide
Vessel Make
49ft Custom Power Catamaran
Have an ITR hydronic heater that can run people out on a cold day. Need air conditioning. Does any other company, besides Ocean Breeze, make a cooling only self contained air conditioning unit? Any thoughts on where to get honest advice on number and size of units needed? Boat is currently near Portland, OR. Thanks.

Bill
Double-Wide

I wouldn't worry about a heat pump system. Their efficiency is just as good as the non heat pumps on cooling model and they are only slightly more complex with a reversing valve and a little more freon plumbing.

Look for stainless steel or composite drip pan, blower that can rotate to line up with ducts. Controls are a mixed bag. Ski reported that Mermaid uses a simple home thermostat but probably won't give you automatic shutdown due to raw water failure like the Dometic Cruiseair will.

Some popular brands are Cruisaire, Marineaire, Webasto, Mermaid.

David

Look for stainless steel or composite drip pan, blower that can rotate to line up with ducts. Controls are a mixed bag. Ski reported that Mermaid uses a simple home thermostat but probably won't give you automatic shutdown due to raw water failure like the Dometic Cruiseair will.
David

The Mermaid control is available either way, an option. Mine has the Passport-type control board with the remote panel. I like the control because it can be set for heating, cooling, or automatic changeover and has high & low pressure safeties. I'm all in for the non-rusting base/drain. I think it's a good idea to have an auxiliary safety pan fabricated to go under the whole unit. Not a significant additional cost or effort when incorporated into the install, and can prevent water damage from a blocked drain.

My Mermaid units have condenser high pressure trip switches that shut down the compressor if water flow is lost. Once you sort out the problem, you reset the pushbutton manually and then good to go. Had to do it many times as my (own design) sea water pump system is prone to air load running fast in rough conditions.

Not saying these are the best units, but that I have been quite satisfied for ten years of use.

One feature I put in, that I really like, is a helm switch that controls the sea water pump: Auto/On. That way I can reprime or check flow on the AC SW system without turning a compressor on. Also can leave pump on when in rough stuff and it is less likely to lose prime.

Last edited:
I have put Mermaid units in 4 boats so far. Good units and great support.

Bill - I would say manufacturer but yours looks custom. Rough guess is one per hull and one for saloon but you can add awnings / mesh to saloon to reduce daytime load.

If you’re staying in PNW then maybe not do hull units, if heading for tropics then you’ll really need to engineer something appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom