Old 08-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #21

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt.reynolds View Post
Thanks, I have never considered a motorsailer, but I did follow your thread on the motorsailer you found for sale. I wonder what types of motorsailers there are in the 40 foot range. Off to do some more research...
Right in your neck of the woods... http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1572&url=

She looks like a great boat. The broker, Annie Grey, is excellent.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #22
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Sails are not going to prevent a boat from pitching into head seas. Throttle and helmsmanship are the only way to make that ride any more comfortable. I can imagine that chop is pretty bad. If we have a 5 or 8 foot swell here, its period is 10 - 20 seconds and you hardly notice it. But 3 seconds sounds like a real pounding for any boat under 50 tons.

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #23
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Sails are not going to prevent a boat from pitching into head seas. Throttle and helmsmanship are the only way to make that ride any more comfortable. I can imagine that chop is pretty bad. If we have a 5 or 8 foot swell here, its period is 10 - 20 seconds and you hardly notice it. But 3 seconds sounds like a real pounding for any boat under 50 tons.
You are right bligh; the sails will not help the pitching; although this motion tends to be more predictable, and much easier on the stomach when the rolling motion is taken away.
Besides throttle and helmsmanship, the pitching can be reduced by added length, and the pounding can be reduced by a good hull design.

BTW -That Wiley seems like it might be ideal for the job. It would be nice to see a pic of the hull shape. Being wood may be a concern, but it keeps the purchase price down, giving a lot of boat for the money. One owner for 40 years, thats the history you want.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #24
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
My stomach can take pitching all day, but it scares the heck out of my wife. Taking seas abeam is what makes me queasy.. no thanks. For a 48 footer that wiley is not very heavy. Id like to see how she performs..

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote