Old 04-08-2019, 05:55 AM   #1

City: Miami
Vessel Name: Odyssea
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Need advice on where to get boat repair in Abacos

I am currently anchored in Marsh Harbour.
We will be in Abacos area until mid June.
We are on a 2000 Mainship 390 Trawler.
I have a Yanmar 300HP engine and two 150 gallon fuel tanks.
I am only drawing diesel from one of the fuel tanks on the Starboard side.
I think return fuel from engine and generator is returning to the port side and it is full. I get small amount of diesel overflow into the bilge.
The boat is listing to port because of the extra weight.
QUESTION: Can anyone recommend a place to get this looked at and repaired?
I was thinking of calling Edwins boat yard on Man O War Cay?
Anybody have any experience of repairs in this area or suggestions? Any feedback on wins boat yard?
Thank you...
Paul Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:31 AM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Should be able to figure it out yourself, and with some help here. Engine should have fuel valves that control the flow between the two tanks and the engine and gen, and maybe a fuel crossover that can be opened between the two tanks. Operator needs to know the fuel system and valves.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Paul, post a photo of your valve set up. You should be able to draw from either individually and return to either one, draw from both, return to both etc.

I would also suspect that you may be dumping fuel into the water through the vent.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #4

This is the port side fuel tank that is full:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0067.jpg   IMG_0068.jpg   IMG_0069.jpg  
Old 04-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #5

This is the starboard side fuel tank that the engine and generator must be using
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0070.jpg   IMG_0071.jpg   IMG_0072.jpg  
Old 04-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
Guru

Paul, if you follow the fuel line from the tanks do they run straight to and from the engine or do they run to a set of switching valves?

Any chance you have a fuel transfer pump?
Old 04-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #7

the bottom of the fuel tanks that are open just connect directly to each other, I presume they should equalize but they are not.
Both fuel tanks feed into one Racor filter that then feeds into a flow scan unit before going to the engine fuel filter
Old 04-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #8
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP

Any possibility the equalization line connection at the bottom of the port tank is clogged somehow? Clogged with old diesel “gunk” maybe and not letting fuel pass to the other tank?

Wonder if you could pressurize that starboard tank a little bit and force a clog out?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. PB. I wondered exactly what Mr. 01 posted. A blockage in the crossover. Before you attempt to pressurize anything I would try the following:

Since your crossover system seems to have ball valves, it might be a simple matter of closing both valves and disconnecting one end of the crossover hose that is immediately after either valve. Any spillage will be limited to whatever fuel may be in the hose.
At that point, I would put a container under the valve without the hose and open and close the valve VERY quickly. You should get a shot of fuel into the container. Do the same with the loose hose end. That will indicate the presence of ANY blockage. Have diapers close at hand.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #10
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Baker View Post
the bottom of the fuel tanks that are open just connect directly to each other, I presume they should equalize but they are not.
Both fuel tanks feed into one Racor filter that then feeds into a flow scan unit before going to the engine fuel filter
What RT said.

I would NOT attempt to pressurize the tanks. Too much risk of something going wrong. If the tank is full there's already some pressure on the hose from the full tank.

If you test the crossover line as RT recommended, you should be able to determine if there is a blockage at either one of the crossover connections at the tank. If one is blocked, you should be able to close the valve, get a piece of wire like a coathanger wire and remove the flare fitting on the inboard side of the valve, then insert the wire as far as the valve. Hold a rag or pad around the opening to prevent fuel from spilling, then open the valve and work the wire into the line past the valve and into the tank while using the pad to seal up where the wire is entering the pipe. Withdraw the wire and close the ball valve, then put a container under the fitting and open the valve briefly to flush the gunk. Expect a bit of a mess, think your moves through and be smooth but deliberate.
If you remove those flare fittings, make SURE you are backing up the fitting with a 2nd wrench. The torque should be wrench to wrench, never to the tank fitting. If that doesn't make sense, then you might consider getting some help to confirm what you're doing is mechanically sound.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #11
Guru

Will be interesting to see how this pans out.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Baker View Post

Does the Racor have some sort of valving that determines which tank it draws from?

Take some time to methodically sketch out the fuel system, with valves, piping, any devices. Then follow the sketch to determine how the system works. Pictures of an isolated piece of hose, valve, etc. won't enable someone to help you. A diagram will, and should enable you to determine on your own why your system is not working as it should.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #13
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. PB. I wondered exactly what Mr. 01 posted. A blockage in the crossover. Before you attempt to pressurize anything I would try the following:

Since your crossover system seems to have ball valves, it might be a simple matter of closing both valves and disconnecting one end of the crossover hose that is immediately after either valve. Any spillage will be limited to whatever fuel may be in the hose.
At that point, I would put a container under the valve without the hose and open and close the valve VERY quickly. You should get a shot of fuel into the container. Do the same with the loose hose end. That will indicate the presence of ANY blockage. Have diapers close at hand.

Yeah this sounds better than my pressure idea! Maybe the equalizing hose (assume it’s a hose) has collapsed or is blocked with crud. Could run a wire thru it to clear it if needed maybe? If the hose is collapsed it might not be too hard to replace that hose DIY.

Question: why does the engine only draw from the starboard tank and rely on the tanks to equalize? You sure there is not a valve where you can draw from the port tank?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
You could temporarily remedy the situation.

1) Close the return to the port tank.
2) Close the feed from the starboard tank.

Now you should be drawing from Port and Returning to Stbd. Once tanks are equalized, draw and return from only one tank. Alternate run times between Port and Starboard to balance tank usage.

It's not a permanent solution. But it should be an ok workaround.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

Now you should be drawing from Port and Returning to Stbd. Once tanks are equalized, draw and return from only one tank. Alternate run times between Port and Starboard to balance tank usage.

Doesn't sound like he has a feed from the port tank to the engine.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:40 AM   #16

Thanks everybody for the great advice.
I am taking the boat into a shop and will be sure to post the outcome.
I am a novice and am scared to death of 150 gallons spilling out into the beautiful Bahamas if I screw up.

I will get the shop to check the equalizing hose to make sure no blockage.
While the hose is off I will also get them to check when valves open the diesel flows and if not insert wire to try and unclog.
I will also get the shop to check there is no blockage from port fuel tank into the Racor fuel filter.

If that fails I was thinking there must be some kind of air valve on the top of the tanks to stop creating a vacuum and stopping equalization?

If all that fails then I will try and manage the situation by turning off fuel feed from the starboard side and running from the port side and alternating. That should help with the listing.
My concern with that is what if there is some fuel blockage and the engine is starved of fuel. Is there any priming needed to get restarted because I have no idea how to do that. I think it is not an issue on a 2000 Yanmar but???

I will let you all know - thanks again so much for your great input!
Old 04-09-2019, 06:44 AM   #17

Vessel Name: Shady Grove
Vessel Model: TMC Custom 41 Trawler & S-2 10.3 Sail
We received very good service 5 years ago from Boat Harbour Marina which is on the backside of Marsh Harbour a little past the Abaco Beach Resort. We stopped at Edwin's first and glad we continued to Marsh Harbour.
BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #18
Guru

Maybe try different fuel feeds with the genny first rather than the engine, that way you cause less of an issue.

Not sure with your engine, but you should have a priming paddle on the engine which you can pump - just be aware it can take a lot of pumping to clear the air - ask me how I know!
Old 04-09-2019, 07:04 AM   #19
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

Alternating draw from a tank and returning to same is the best way to manage your fuel. Cross overs often create more issues than they remedy. My crossovers have never been opened since the boat was built. A fuel transfer pump is a must have IMHO to take care of over filling or prepare one tank for fresh fuel while other holds older fuel.

Often I run tanks (four) at different levels to balance boat. Same with water tanks.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #20
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Check the hoses on the tank top photos. If they are tank vent hoses they should rise to the deck vents, if they don’t they could have fuel in them blocking the vents and stopping equalization.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abacos, repairs