NC Marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful 182! Those are really great airplanes. I wish we had a backseat. Someday way down the road I could see getting a 180.

Here's the RV7.

Sweet ride Steve! Bet you got me beat on fuel economy. I cruise at 130 kts and burn around 14 gph.

Just a little. 155-160 kts true at 8-8.5 gph. If it had a 2 blade, it would be closer to 165-170 kts.

But that's a 2 seater for you.

Here is another question for everyone! What's the best option for TV? We really don't care much for regular TV but do watch NetFlix some. Is hotspot best option from mobile device? Is DirecTV a good option? I think the past owners had DirecTV.

Yes. Grab a Roku and stream from personal hotspot or the marina's wifi.

But if you have the TracVision hardware already, DirecTV is a good plan, but more expensive.

The previous owner had Apple TV. I'm going to look into that. I'm also going to use an antenna. I have one that I don't use, so I'll just stick it in the window that's behind the TV in the boat. You won't be able to see it and it'll at least give us morning cartoons for our little girl. I'm going to either get Roku or Apple TV for movies.

Greetings,
Mr. 91. Morning cartoons? Buy her a fishin' pole and turn off the boob tube.

She's 3. Nothing wrong with some Paw Patrol while we make breakfast or to unwind before a nap.

Yes. Grab a Roku and stream from personal hotspot or the marina's wifi.

FWIW, lots of threads on cruisersforum.com about crappy marina wifi... which gets crappier as more people try to stream videos.

Some have said streaming actually works better via cellular, as long as the data plan supports the expense.

Many of the larger boats here -- mostly Flemings -- have a dish for sat TV of some brand or other...

-Chris

FWIW, lots of threads on cruisersforum.com about crappy marina wifi... which gets crappier as more people try to stream videos.

Some have said streaming actually works better via cellular, as long as the data plan supports the expense.

Many of the larger boats here -- mostly Flemings -- have a dish for sat TV of some brand or other...

-Chris

I was wondering about that. We might just get a cheap DVD player

Here is another question for everyone! What's the best option for TV? We really don't care much for regular TV but do watch NetFlix some. Is hotspot best option from mobile device? Is DirecTV a good option? I think the past owners had DirecTV.

Forgot to mention earlier, I think several in the owners club have sat TV of some sort or other. Maybe some 43MY folks...

Also, some of the folks here in our marina (not the Flemings, though) have installed sat dishes on the dock... so at least those work when they're here in their slips.

-Chris

Just arrived at the Morehead City Yacht Basin. Great 5 hour cruise from NB.

Tell Mike we said, Hi!

Just arrived at the Morehead City Yacht Basin. Great 5 hour cruise from NB.

Great to see how you're starting. Finding great places for cruises that are within a day of you. Then you'll expand your reach. But you're in the middle of a lot of great places.

Made it to Beaufort without any issues. Short trip from MC. We were going to go to Cape Lookout but were unsure about the depths.

Lots of water at Lookout! Probably pretty crazy there this weekend!

You should never try to goto Lookout thru the inside. Wait for good conditions in the inlet and run outside Shackleford Banks. You'll just need to make sure wind and tide are not opposing each other. Since the predominate wind is south or southwest this time of year, you will want slack or incoming tide to have a smooth ride thru Beaufort Inlet.

How was your first time docking in Beaufort?

Docking at Beaufort was really easy Tom. So what's next? Ocrakoke?

We went out to Cape Lookout yesterday morning. It was beautiful once we got there but the trip out was really rough. Hope that's not normal or we may not do much ocean cruising.

We are thinking about Ocrakoke in a couple of weeks. Are we ready for that? Any tricks we should know about? Which marina is recommended?

If you are locked into a weekend time frame weather can be an issue going to/from Ocrakoke. I would plan carefully. Navigating to Silver Lake is a piece of cake just be aware of the ferries coming out. Another possibility is to little Washington or even Belhaven. There are two really decent restaurants in Belhaven and River Forest has golf carts and good dock help. I haven't been to Washington in years so you would need to research it a bit more.

We went out to Cape Lookout yesterday morning. It was beautiful once we got there but the trip out was really rough. Hope that's not normal or we may not do much ocean cruising.

We are thinking about Ocrakoke in a couple of weeks. Are we ready for that? Any tricks we should know about? Which marina is recommended?

Elizabeth City, Belhaven, a lot of other good places to target.

You ask if it's always that rough. Well, I don't know how rough it was, but your definition of rough is going to change over time. The conditions you just encountered won't feel the same two years from now. One thing we try to do is keep in mind any guests as if they don't have experience their reaction to seas won't be the same as ours.

Note that I'm not talking safe vs. unsafe, just comfort levels.

We have DIRECTV at home so we pay an additional $7.00 per month for the boat (after buying the system).

We are in the market for our first coastal boat and not sure where we want to keep it in NC? Any suggestions? We like Beaufort a lot. Also curious about what to look for in a marina and what costs to expect.

If you're going to keep your boat at a marina long term, you should think about how you will get there and back, cost and amenities or attractions.

Dowry Creek Marina has a pool but otherwise is a little old. Friendly people though. River Dunes Marina is one of our favorites as far as facilities go. Beautiful new pool, hot tubs, steam showers and it's a fairly new, well built facility. It's not expensive as a transient but I think you have to pay a facility fee for long term leases.

New Bern is a great town to visit and the New Bern Grand Marina is pretty nice. Depending on the current relationship with the adjacent hotel you may have use of the pool and facilities. Otherwise you still have laundry and decent showers and heads.

What you might do is stay at several different marinas for a month or two and then pick a favorite as your permanent home.

If you are locked into a weekend time frame weather can be an issue going to/from Ocrakoke. I would plan carefully. Navigating to Silver Lake is a piece of cake just be aware of the ferries coming out. Another possibility is to little Washington or even Belhaven. There are two really decent restaurants in Belhaven and River Forest has golf carts and good dock help. I haven't been to Washington in years so you would need to research it a bit more.

Thanks for the info. We plan to be at Oriental tomorrow night. Come say hello if you are around. We hope to arrive around noon.

If you're going to keep your boat at a marina long term, you should think about how you will get there and back, cost and amenities or attractions.

Wifey B: And distance to cruising grounds. Wilmington's a good example. Your choices could be keep boat 10 minutes from home but have a 2 hour cruise to the ICW or 4 to the ocean or keep it in Masonboro on the ICW and have a 30 minute drive to the boat but then still 3 hours to the ocean or keep it in Southport and have a 50 minute drive to the marina but then be on the ICW and only 30 minutes to the ocean. Omg it gets way complicated but you'll figure out what is perfect for you. :)

Wifey B: And distance to cruising grounds. Wilmington's a good example. Your choices could be keep boat 10 minutes from home but have a 2 hour cruise to the ICW or 4 to the ocean or keep it in Masonboro on the ICW and have a 30 minute drive to the boat but then still 3 hours to the ocean or keep it in Southport and have a 50 minute drive to the marina but then be on the ICW and only 30 minutes to the ocean. Omg it gets way complicated but you'll figure out what is perfect for you. :)

Having our boat 20 minutes from home means we use it even when not cruising. We spend weekends on it and it's nothing to drop in for lunch or to maintain it. It's an hour or so to the AICW.

Having our boat 20 minutes from home means we use it even when not cruising. We spend weekends on it and it's nothing to drop in for lunch or to maintain it. It's an hour or so to the AICW.

Wifey B: That's what everyone has to evaluate. :)

Crossing the Pamlico sound is not difficult....just follow the chart, stay out of the restricted area. But watch the wind. Any wind above 12-15mph can make the sound super nasty. Because it is shallow, the waves get short and steep. We always look for 5-10mph days. If you stage in Oriental, you can leave at first light and be over there for brunch before the winds pick up.

We stay at the Anchorage Inn marina. Call first for availability....lots of groups go together and take up all the slips there. But you can also do the Federal docks, or anchor out!

Well, Heck. I'm retiring in 11 months, shopping trawlers now. Had it all planned out, Florida bound. Now you people got me thinking of hanging in my old home state now! Originally from Cary, but haven't been there in a long time, good time to explore my old, very old, stomping grounds. Once I retire, I will be a live aboard, so exploring and recreation are essential.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom