NC Marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Besslb. Unfortunately, we schedule someone today for next Thursday. Hopefully he will be good. First name is Charles. Don't have his last name in front of me at the moment.

Oriental. Good yards. Good marine stores. Good restaurants. Good bars and activities. Good marinas. Travel to the others on your weekends. If you need to be entertained forget it. Move to Miami.

Hi bilge53! We look forward to seeing more in Oriental. The thing we like about New Bern is the airport being there which is how we will be traveling most of the time. I'm with you on the entertainment not being Miami style but we think we will like hanging out at the marinas and local restaurants and bars far more than fast pace entertainment anyway.

Hi bilge53! We look forward to seeing more in Oriental. The thing we like about New Bern is the airport being there which is how we will be traveling most of the time. I'm with you on the entertainment not being Miami style but we think we will like hanging out at the marinas and local restaurants and bars far more than fast pace entertainment anyway.

You know, since you will be flying in, you might want to look at Town Creek Marina in Beaufort. They are just now renovating and replacing all of their docks. Great onsite restaurant, City Kitchen. They are literally at the end of the runway. Not walking distance to the waterfront, but an easy bike or dingy ride. Twice the price of New Bern.....but that's what you find at the coast. Just something to think about.

Made an offer today on a 2002 43' Silverton. We are so excited. Will have a lot more questions soon, hopefully.

Hey, just realized guys that the one Tom.B post d is not it. Here it is. 2002 Silverton 43 Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Congrats. FYI, there's a very active owners club, especially useful for owner-to-owner support since the original company went south. Several active 43MY owners, and at least one of those can tell you about engine hatches in the saloon (in case all of yours aren't open-able yet). Inexpensive annual fee (mostly to defeat spam). Google will find it for you...

-Chris

You know, since you will be flying in, you might want to look at Town Creek Marina in Beaufort. They are just now renovating and replacing all of their docks. Great onsite restaurant, City Kitchen. They are literally at the end of the runway. Not walking distance to the waterfront, but an easy bike or dingy ride. Twice the price of New Bern.....but that's what you find at the coast. Just something to think about.

I think they rebuilt or are rebuilding the foot bridge that takes you to town. Before they tore it down I walked it many times. Also as I mentioned before, Homer Smiths which is directly across from Town Creek is now open with brand new docks etc. Not as lively as Town Creek but inexpensive and closer to town.

How did the survey go??

How did the survey go??

Hi Besslb! Thanks so much for asking. The survey went great. We hope to have the report any day. Lisa and I had so much fun. It was an awesome day for us. We did the survey and the sea trial. We started at 8:30 Thursday morning and didn't finish until around 3 that afternoon. The first couple of hours was everyone chatting and the surveyor Charles doing his thing while docked at Oriental. Then we took the boat over to have it pulled out which was really exciting for a Lisa and me. While it was out, we all left to have lunch. After lunch, we spent a little time on the water before heading back to the slip. Our surveyor Charles not only did his job but also answered a million questions for us. Both our broker Sonny and the seller's broker John were aboard. John treated everyone to lunch. The sellers, Ron and Marilyn were also there and we fell in love with them. Hearing their boating experiences and stories and especially hearing about all the places "our" boat has been was almost surreal.

We hope to close early next week and spend our first night on "Into the Mystic" around Wednesday. Her name is currently Silver Tails and we love that name too but my wife loves the Van Morrison song Into the Mystic so we plan to properly changing her name soon.

Sorry for such a long reply and again, I really appreciate you following up with us. More to come soon :) IMG_5516.jpgIMG_5468.jpgIMG_5521.jpgIMG_5496.jpg

Both our broker Sonny and the seller's broker John were aboard.

Sonny Connover? Bought my Cape Dory out of Oriental from him a few years ago...Enjoyed dealing with him. Straight shooter. He went out of his way to find the boat i was looking for.

Congratulations!! Glad it went well and sounds like a great introduction to the boating life! Have you decided where to keep her yet??

Sonny Connover? Bought my Cape Dory out of Oriental from him a few years ago...Enjoyed dealing with him. Straight shooter. He went out of his way to find the boat i was looking for.

We bought our Marine Trader from Sonny about 5years ago. Liked him very much.....

Frank

Dang... Sonny is a name I haven't heard come up in a while. He showed us a couple of boats in 2009 on a reco from a very old friend of his in Oriental, and our cousin, Andy Denmark.

Thanks for all the comments everyone on this thread. Your comments have been helpful and made the last couple of weeks more fun. Hope to meet all of you one day. As for where we plan to keep her Besslb, we are thinking New Bern for a little while. We just like how close it is to the airport and we think we will enjoy the town for a little while. We "think" we will want to stay on the move every couple of months but it's a little early to know if we will like that or not. We think it would be cool to cruise for a few days every month or two to a new location and stay there for a month or two and explore the area with short cruises and land adventures. Anyway, that's and idea now but who know what reality will be. Would love everyone's thoughts about all of this.

Downtown New Bern is super cool. We were at the New Bern Grande for almost two years. That was with previous owners. Now, I would consider the Bridge Point, or the Galley Store. You will love it no matter. New Bern is awesome.

Good luck to you! Can't wait to hear your stories!

So here is an update. We closed on Silver Tails, a Silverton 43, yesterday. We hired Cptn. Jack from New Bern to help us move her to her home, for now at least, in New Bern at the Grand Marina.

The weather was amazing yesterday and it was an exciting maiden voyage. We learned so much and were welcomed by many dock hands and new neighbors when we arrived.

Today, Cptn. Jack went out with us again and we tested and practiced using and securing the dinghy. We also practiced getting the boat in the slip which was both frustrating and fun but I didn't embarrass myself too much.

So, now what's next? Where should we go and for how long? Should we do a short day trip for lunch or plan an overnight? Was thinking about Beaufort but would love advice.

Beaufort and Morehead would always be nice and then perhaps if conditions warrant your first trip outside for just a short while.

So here is an update. We closed on Silver Tails, a Silverton 43, yesterday. We hired Cptn. Jack from New Bern to help us move her to her home, for now at least, in New Bern at the Grand Marina.

The weather was amazing yesterday and it was an exciting maiden voyage. We learned so much and were welcomed by many dock hands and new neighbors when we arrived.

And welcome to the owners club, too!

:)

-Chris

From New Bern Grande, Beaufort/Morehead is a long trip for lunch. That's more of an overnight thing. Both are great towns with different experiences to offer. The Morehead City Yacht Basin is your target for there. Nice big face dock and wind would be your only beast. Beaufort is a much trickier approach. Along with wind, Taylor's Creek run pretty fast, so always plan on getting there at slack high or low. The dock hands are very good there, but have little patience if you don't listen to them. The facilities (shower and head) are for the 70's and suck pretty bad. Just shower on the boat. Morehead's team and facilities are stellar.

Anyway, your lunch trips will often be to Oriental. It's a great little walking town. Prefect for a day visit. You will call the Oriental Marina on VHF 16 and will probably get the face dock for a lunch run. They also have two free town docks and you can check the webcam for availability, but don't expect much during cruising season or summer weekends.

The other thing is to come throw the anchor out for an overnight of just a day of sunning or swimming in Upper Broad Creek or Clubfoot Creek. Upper Broad is a great spot. Look out for west winds though. No protection from that way.

I would invite you to Northwest Creek for the day, but the local restaurant closed, so there really isn't anything to come here to do anymore.

A long overnight would be either anchoring in South River or going to River Dunes Marina.

And of course, the brass ring down here is making it to Ocracoke. A wonderful and, dare I say, magical place to visit by boat. Anchor in Silver Lake, grab a cheap spot on the federal docks, or tie up at the Anchorage Marina. There is no wrong way to do it.

Last edited:
Tom.B, you are my favorite of all. I feel like Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz talking about the scarecrow :)

I appreciate all you comments and advice. Can't wait to meet you soon. With some big fishing tournament happening in the Morehead City and Beaufort area over the next two weekends, and your restaurant being closed, sounds like Ocracoke may be our plan. Will keep you posted!

Yep... The Big Rock... that's part of the reason we are back on the Neuse. We try to be as nice as we can to the dockmaster at MHCYB, so our three month visit came with promise to clear out for him to have more room to turn the place into Gelcoat Canyon :)

A word to the wise, though. Be very very very weary of the Pamlico sound. Find a very wide weather window and plan on staying a few extra days or leaving early if the wind is going to pick up. Even under moderate winds, the waves are tall, steep, and close together. It'll knock you fillings out. Your boat is quick and longerish, so you maight be good up to 15-ish knot winds, but... well... just be careful. One good way to get there is to stage lower in the river. Oriental, South River, or River Dunes and leave at the crack of dawn to get there before the afternoon winds get going.

Also, call the marina before you arrive to get the latest approach obstacles. We didn't have much of a problem last year, but reports we got just yesterday are that the red side is shoaling in again. I'm sure you aren't headed there tomorrow, but my point is don't just go there willy-nilly. Do your pre-cruise planning and don't get caught out there wearing your stoopid hat.

In the meantime, just get on with tooling around the Neuse. We will see ya' when we see ya'.

I think that Tom B has nailed it, with the only exception that when I lived there up to a year ago, I never saw the free docks full at Oriental. They have room for 5 boats on these docks and all are within easy walking distance to shops, bars and restaurants.

Beaufort would be my first choice for an overnight from New Bern. Then when you are ready for more distance, stop in Oriental for a night and then head up to Ocracoke. Ocracoke is a great party town, but after mid September they roll up the streets.

David

First night Oriental. No tides to deal with and good restaurants, bars, parts places and for the most part good people and dogs. Easy to fit this into a weather window. After an easy one then stretch your legs. No good reason to go to River Dunes as it is a long way out of town but South River is a good anchorage.

I love Beaufort and Morehead City. Folks that haven't been to Morehead City in a few Years have not seen the rejuvenation. Morehead is going through a renaissance with lots of new pubs and restaurants. Really really love it there. At the yacht basin you don't have the serious tidal current as in Beaufort. I love Beaufort too.....we just have to have the right tide and wind to go. Morehead is more forgiving. And.....once down there.....anchoring at Cape Lookout or behind shakcleford banks is the grand prize!

Enjoy! Let's grab a beer someday in New Bern!

Thanks Besslb! I like your beer idea a lot. We hope to be going to NB most of the next few weekends and either hanging around there or going for short voyages.

I think that Tom B has nailed it, with the only exception that when I lived there up to a year ago, I never saw the free docks full at Oriental. They have room for 5 boats on these docks and all are within easy walking distance to shops, bars and restaurants.

Beaufort would be my first choice for an overnight from New Bern. Then when you are ready for more distance, stop in Oriental for a night and then head up to Ocracoke. Ocracoke is a great party town, but after mid September they roll up the streets.

David

Thanks David. I think we will try the free docks this weekend and see how it goes.

Say hello to June, the morning barrista at the Bean.

David

After doing this several times, Enterprise (one way) rental cars are way more convenient and worth every penny to not have to take two cars for the Car Dance. We just learned this recently!! :bang head:

I've done one way rental, good luck with Hertz and Enterprise. But in out of the way place the rates get higher and Uber makes an nice option.

Made it safely from NB to Oriental today. We are staying the night and headed back tomorrow. Where should I go next time?

Back
Top Bottom