Old 09-18-2018, 10:39 PM   #1

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
NC ICW Status Thread

We like many others here have been planning on a move south late Oct/Nov timeframe. Now having to evaluate the details of what impact Florence will have on our float plans.

I know all of our hearts are with the people of NC and the tragedy of the storm. Didn't want to take away from those discussions. And the challenge for the area is not over with the flood waters still rising.

At some point we have to augment our data for float planning prior to a decision point. I may be rushing things - but is top of mind.

There are the pioneers which will be some of the first through the waterway, we want to capture their experiences.

What would everybody think about having a NC ICW status thread where we post our fact finding, experiences, etc. about status of the waterway?

Specifically waterway conditions/status, bridges open/closed, fuel options, etc.

On the early side I know, but there is a point in the next few weeks where we will have to make a decision on moving south or wintering in the north.

This is starting on other forums, but everyone is not reading every forum. Thinking we could consolidate our knowledge and learnings. Eliminate erroneous information, validate accurate information.

Will start off with what I have found in the last couple of days. Not stating these items as facts - just what I have been told. Looking for verification if the items are accurate and factual.

Marinas are shut down in Moorhead, Wrightsville Beach, Southport, and Bald Head. Non official comments - will be months before they reopen.

One marina in Beaufort, NC rumored to have started pumping fuel today, running off a generator (don't know which one).

Good portion of the ICW in NC is shut down to boat traffic by the Corp of Engineers. Got specific references on Moorehead to Wrightsville beach and Alligator River north of Moorehead.

Local marine industry concerns about significant changes in shoaling at Snows Cut.

Specific to Southport - a resident there that evacuated. As of mid day today they cannot return due to washout of roads and highways. Not sure if this is Southport only or symptomatic of the NC coastal region. No access by roads, no diesel deliveries or work crews to repair.

Anyway - if this is of value chime in... I think we all realize that posting what we are hearing, this is a great forum to either validate or discount.

Thanks
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:34 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I am interested and this could be a sticky until things are back to normal.

Waiting till after Thursday for operational reports on bridges, especially Socastee.

The bridges and marinas in SC are reported as operational.

My concerns are getting to the ocean from Morehead City, through Snows Cut and through the Socastee bridge. Everything else is reported OK or can be bypassed or leapfrogged to get south.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:51 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
We will be able to comment on the Neuse River, Adams Creek, and Core Sound area in a couple of weeks. Our marina in the New Bern area has a lot of damage and it may be months before they are operational again. Sooooooo, while we wait for them, we are going to pull out and head to Morehead City once they get power back.

We’ll keep an eye on things for y’all. As we hear news, we will post it here.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #4
Guru

Looks like the Waterway Guide is on target calling around and easy to read format.

Onslow Bridge is broken with no repair date (Marines will notify USCG pretty soon I would guess as the USCG will be buggjng them). All others should be fine by Friday.

Socastee will probably know better once the rivers crest and fall.

Should know in about a week on many thing as comnetcial traffic comes back to life in the areas of concern.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #5
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan View Post
What would everybody think about having a NC ICW status thread where we post our fact finding, experiences, etc. about status of the waterway?

One started on cruisersforum.com (sister site) a couple days ago...

-Chris
Old 09-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Waterway Guide generally does a good job of gathering this information.

As to snowbirds, I'd say even worse case, come south. The question becomes how.

We're in SC now (on land, not water) and here's what we know at this point.

Overall, think of Hurricane Matthew two years ago. Lots of debris coming down the various rivers. Ultimately it has to reach the ICW. It will take a short period for it to clear. Charleston really wasn't hit so fine from that point south. Myrtle Beach not directly that much damage but the waters flowing in will create debris. Otherwise I'd expect everything open fairly soon.

Now, the governor is still telling everyone to bypass NC. He's referring to land and I-95, but for the moment, probably good water advice. Even those of you who don't like running outside can generally do so from Beaufort south and have the fuel capacity to avoid needing marinas. However, I see the real questions that impact your travel being the cut from Norfolk to Beaufort. All throughout the state rivers from the Neuse to the Cape Fear and everything in between are still in flood stage and many still rising. I believe within a couple of weeks there will be adequate marinas open, but I don't know how long it will take for the debris to clear. My guess right now would be a month.

I think this thread is an excellent idea as we watch the waterways during this time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
On our local news, they did show some video of the Cape Fear with a BUNCH of debris floating in it. I have not seen video of the Neuse yet, but there has to be debris in it given what all is left behind all over in New Bern.

As Tom said, we'll have first hand knowledge in about a week or so. From New Bern down to Morehead City.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
Guru

Here is Waterway Guide's initial report. They will update it regularly.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/hurric...ews+09-19-2018

You can go above and click on any state and that will bring up their chart which has information.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #9
Guru

I've read through their initial list and it makes me think we'll see much the same as we did from Matthew. There was a lot of debris, a marker here and there moved or missing. Most marinas were back open quickly, although some had more damage. Then you have Fernandina where so far no one is willing to agree on what to do and pay for it. I translate that into, they weren't making money before, so not really committed to it.

Already this time we see a bit of that. Tina from Old Towne Yacht Club in Beaufort said it's in shambles and she's not sure if they'll rebuild it. Because we've talked a lot about New Bern, I also noted that BridgePointe has said they have a lot of damage and it will take at least a year to fix.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
NOAA Storm Imagery for Florence:
https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/f...35.360/-77.820
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #11

City: Morehead City, NC
Sea Gate Marina is selling gas on the dock side. No word about diesel, but I would think they would be. Same for the Boathouse in Beaufort.
sealion2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #12
Guru

City: Miami
This is from a few days ago but if you follow the links there is more current info. Like with Matthew offshore may also be a problem but for now it sounds like everything should be fine by nov.

Yahoo! Groups Cruisers Network Online Group
1 Message Digest #2904
1 Post Hurricane Florence Report on the ICW by "Glenn Tuttle" parrothedd1
1 Post Hurricane Florence Report on the ICW
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:22 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Glenn Tuttle" parrothedd1
The following is a report compiled by Tom Hale. Nice job Tom and originally posted on Active Captain Facebook Group and shared by Kathy Barth to the SSCA Facebook Group.

As previously suggested and as hoped, the Northern part of the ICW to Beaufort is operational. Some facilities are damaged. Some facilities are closed however the ICW is passable with dockage, fuel and water available in many places between Norfolk and Beaufort, NC.

The ICW south of Georgetown SC is operational. But that 125 miles between Beaufort, NC and New River (Myrtle Beach) is still flooding and is several days away from being able to report.

1. Great Bridge Bridge and lock are fully operational.
2. All is OK at Coinjock
3. According to USACE Norfolk District Dismal Swamp Canal is open and the locks and bridges are operating on a normal schedule
4. Alligator River Swing Bridge is operational
5. Dowry Creek has power to the office and heads still working on the dock power
6. Jarrett Bay is closed. No Power.
7. Moorhead and Beaufort City Docks are operational No Power as of noon 9/16, but hope to have power shortly.
8. Onslow Beach Bridge phone not working
9. Surf City Bridge 910.328.4291 phone not working
10. Figure 8 bridge phone not working
11. Wrightsville beach bridge not answering
12. Port of Georgetown is open
13. McClellanville, Leland Oil open reports USCG has checked channel. They have not heard of any problems.
14. All Bridges in Horry County NC (Myrtle Beach area) are operational! Socastee Swing Bridge, Barefoot Landing and Little River Swing Bridge.
15. Isle of Palms Marina is open. No word yet on the condition of ICW to Georgetown.
16. Ben Sawyer is now operational it is opening hourly on the top of the hour.
17. Port of Charleston Open. Charleston Marina is taking transients. Isle of Palms is taking transients.
13 Comments <https://www.facebook.com/groups/activecaptain/permalink/2356241054416436/?comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22O%22%7D>23 Shares <https://www.facebook.com/shares/view?id=2356241054416436&av=100006372151496>

Glenn Tuttle - Moderator
Old 09-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #13
Guru

Waterway Guide much more up to date....

Not a slamto Tom.....but like all things with a refresh rate...
Old 09-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #14
Guru

City: NC
One of the local NC rivers normally has about 1,000 CFS of water. As the hurricane went south of us, the river had almost 10,000 CFS. When Florence went over us Sunday and Monday morning that same river went to 100,000+ CFS. That is not a type o.

There are two major state highways that are closed due to flooding on another river to the south. I don't know the flow rates but the problem on that river appears to be at least partly/mostly because of log jams against the bridge supports.

These rivers eventually empty into the ICW but I don't think the debris will get that far due to locks and lakes. But if these rivers are any indication, the other rivers are going to have a large debris load that is not going to get filtered before getting to the ICW.

Floyd was a 500 year flood. I heard that Florence was a 1,000 year flood event. Have no idea it that is true but that is what the news reported. Anyway you look at it, Florence dropped a huge amount of rain that is likely going to push a larger than "normal" amount of debris into the ICW.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #15

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Here is Waterway Guide's initial report. They will update it regularly.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/hurric...ews+09-19-2018

You can go above and click on any state and that will bring up their chart which has information.

Excellent source. Great information.
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #16
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Waterway Guide much more up to date....

Not a slamto Tom.....but like all things with a refresh rate...
I maintain a website on the ICW for SAIL Magazine. And my stuff gets copied to other sites. My initial 3 days of reporting was only to start the flow of factual information. There was a lot of "sky is falling! We cannot go south!" hysteria. I wanted to just to get the information flow started. Waterway Guide and others cameon line 3-4 days later as did others who picked up my content. I now contribute to Waterway Guide and several FaceBook sites. Those sites are much more well known than my site. I'm just trying to do my part as cruisers helping cruisers.

My personal interest is the ICW channel. I have the ability to take the USACE surveys and drop their content into a NOAA chart and from that build a route with way points. I have sent these routes (GPX files) to many cruisers in the past.

USACE Wilmington district had done a fantastic job of surveying the ICW trouble spots all summer long, including surveys right up through September 8. I have all of them plotted and routes made. This summer I prepared for 5 seminars in Annapolis including 2 on the ICW. But who knows where the water and channels are now? So I'm in contact with USCG and USACE to try and find out what waters are open and what aids have been reestablished. There is still very little information available between Bogue Sound and Winyah Bay.

https://www.sailfeed.com/2018/09/icw...iners-38-2018/
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhana View Post
I maintain a website on the ICW for SAIL Magazine. And my stuff gets copied to other sites. My initial 3 days of reporting was only to start the flow of factual information. There was a lot of "sky is falling! We cannot go south!" hysteria. I wanted to just to get the information flow started. Waterway Guide and others cameon line 3-4 days later as did others who picked up my content. I now contribute to Waterway Guide and several FaceBook sites. Those sites are much more well known than my site. I'm just trying to do my part as cruisers helping cruisers.

My personal interest is the ICW channel. I have the ability to take the USACE surveys and drop their content into a NOAA chart and from that build a route with way points. I have sent these routes (GPX files) to many cruisers in the past.

USACE Wilmington district had done a fantastic job of surveying the ICW trouble spots all summer long, including surveys right up through September 8. I have all of them plotted and routes made. This summer I prepared for 5 seminars in Annapolis including 2 on the ICW. But who knows where the water and channels are now? So I'm in contact with USCG and USACE to try and find out what waters are open and what aids have been reestablished. There is still very little information available between Bogue Sound and Winyah Bay.

I am truly sorry....didnt know it was going to be updated.....and didn't mean to infer anything....

I know you are out there and care....was anchored in front of you last year in Mile Hammock Bay.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #18

City: Chesapeake, VA
ICW info update

Try "cruisersnet.net" for good updated ICW info.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #19

City: Holden Beach,NC
ICW Lockwood Folly area

I live on ICW at mile 324. Have seen very little debris in the waterway past 36 hrs. Most seems to have made it"s way to the banks. Saturday 9/22 transited ICW Lockwood Folly intersection several times to check water depth. Least water was 8.2ft at just after mid tide rising next to R48 which is on the West side of the inlet. 60ft off R48 found 9.5ft. R46 is almost on land on the North side of the inlet. Don't know if it is off position but there was 13ft water 60 ft off of it.
Heard Socastee bridge is closed due to high water and local news reports the Waccamaw River will not crest until 9/29.
Johnbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #20
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhana View Post

Got any information specifically on the Neuse River, Adam's Creek and Newport River? ICW from Oriental to MoreHead City?
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote