NC coast suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sea hag

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jubilee
Vessel Make
Prima Seahorse
We are traveling from Atlanta to Norfolk, and would like to travel up the NC coast to see some of the great boating towns and sites. No schedule and eclectic tastes. Would appreciate suggestions on routes, food, sites of interest to TF folks, etc. Thanks for the ideas.

If you don't have a time schedule, there are a number of towns with free docking that only ask that you dine in town, great concept. Most are in the Northern part of the sounds. Elizabeth city is one that comes to mind. Many are listed at
albemarleloop.com

If you're going up the ICW, there are 2 canals at the top of NC. I prefer the Dismal Swamp route as it is more scenic. If you're going in July / August there may be a lot of duck weed which may make the other canal a better choice.

Ted

We are traveling from Atlanta to Norfolk, and would like to travel up the NC coast to see some of the great boating towns and sites. No schedule and eclectic tastes. Would appreciate suggestions on routes, food, sites of interest to TF folks, etc. Thanks for the ideas.

I posted and then reread your post. I suspect OC Diver misinterpreted too. By Atlanta to Norfolk, I'm assuming you're going by car, not boat?

Not sure if you are driving or cruising, but no mater, this was excerpted from an earlier thread:

Here is a week long cruising itinerary, where you will be tied up most nights at a free town dock.

Start at Oriental which is where I live which has two free town docks, then

Stop at the state free dock and mini park in Bath. Bath is small but charming.

Pass through the Alligator/Pungo canal and anchor off of the N or S shore of the Alligator R depending on the weather. This is the only anchorage and if you want to be tied to land, stop at Dowry Creek Marina in Bellingham. There is supposed to be a new, free dock at Bellingham proper, but I haven't stayed there.

The next couple of nights stay at Edenton at the town dock where the first two nights are free. Make sure you go through the old courthouse a block from the marina. Borrow the dockmaster's car for provisioning or whatever.

Then head east to the small but cute town of Manteo and tie up at the free town dock.

Ocracoke is the last stop for a day or two. Either anchor out in Silver Lake or tie up at the nominally priced NPS dock. You can rent some bikes and head to the beach for the day, sip beers and have a burger at SMacnally's or Howard's Pub and have dinner at a really nice restaurant, the Back Porch or Diagio's. On weekend nights, boogy at Diagio's, SMacnally's or the Jolly Roger all within an easy walk from the NPS docks.

In addition to the above, there is Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach, Beaufort/Morehead City, Washington and Elizabeth City to check out- all boating towns.

David

Last edited:
You left off Manteo and Wanchese (Roanoke Island) which are boat-ey must visits. Take the ferry from Ocracoke to Hatteras and come up that way. Wanchese is home of many custom boat builders as well as yards and a large commercial fishing fleet.

In Ocracoke we came to prefer Gaffers to the touristy Howards and definitely add The Flying Melon to the finer dining options especially breakfast and lunch. In our opinion Ocracoke is the gem of them all town-wise and the only one accessible only by boat (ferry or private)

When in Beaufort take a drive to Harkers Island. Visit the Core Sound Museum then take the passenger ferry for a day of gourmet beach combing at Cape Lookout. Also stop by the Jarrett Bay marine industrial park and check out ehats on the hill as well as the boat builders.

Other charming coastal towns coming up from Savannah are Beaufort SC, Charleston of course, Georgetown and Southport NC.

You left off Manteo and Wanchese (Roanoke Island) which are boat-ey must visits. Take the ferry from Ocracoke to Hatteras and come up that way. Wanchese is home of many custom boat builders as well as yards and a large commercial fishing fleet.

In Ocracoke we came to prefer Gaffers to the touristy Howards and definitely add The Flying Melon to the finer dining options especially breakfast and lunch. In our opinion Ocracoke is the gem of them all town-wise and the only one accessible only by boat (ferry or private)

When in Beaufort take a drive to Harkers Island. Visit the Core Sound Museum then take the passenger ferry for a day of gourmet beach combing at Cape Lookout. Also stop by the Jarrett Bay marine industrial park and check out ehats on the hill as well as the boat builders.

Other charming coastal towns coming up from Savannah are Beaufort SC, Charleston of course, Georgetown and Southport NC.

Why not take US 70 to its end at Cedar Island, and board the car ferry to Ocracoke Island. Drive Highway 12 to Nags Head then go up through Southern Shores to Norfolk. It is an unforgettable drive.

Apologize for poor OP. We are driving. Thanks.

I just did I-85 from Atlanta to South Hill, VA then cut across to Norfolk on Highway 58. To see NC boats I would take I-85 to I-40 over to Raleigh. Then take US 70 through New Bern (there are boats there) to Morehead City and then up to Cedar Island to the ferry. You will find lots of boats at the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center, Wanchese, and Manteo.

If my goal was to see as much of the NC coast as possible then I'd take I-20 to Augusta and on to Florence and then I'd probably continue on 76 to Wilmington. Obviously a much longer way to get there, but allows seeing the cruising grounds all the way up the coast of NC.

Not sure if you are driving or cruising, but no mater, this was excerpted from an earlier thread:

Here is a week long cruising itinerary, where you will be tied up most nights at a free town dock.

Start at Oriental which is where I live which has two free town docks, then

Stop at the state free dock and mini park in Bath. Bath is small but charming.

Pass through the Alligator/Pungo canal and anchor off of the N or S shore of the Alligator R depending on the weather. This is the only anchorage and if you want to be tied to land, stop at Dowry Creek Marina in Bellingham. There is supposed to be a new, free dock at Bellingham proper, but I haven't stayed there.

The next couple of nights stay at Edenton at the town dock where the first two nights are free. Make sure you go through the old courthouse a block from the marina. Borrow the dockmaster's car for provisioning or whatever.

Then head east to the small but cute town of Manteo and tie up at the free town dock.

Ocracoke is the last stop for a day or two. Either anchor out in Silver Lake or tie up at the nominally priced NPS dock. You can rent some bikes and head to the beach for the day, sip beers and have a burger at SMacnally's or Howard's Pub and have dinner at a really nice restaurant, the Back Porch or Diagio's. On weekend nights, boogy at Diagio's, SMacnally's or the Jolly Roger all within an easy walk from the NPS docks.

In addition to the above, there is Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach, Beaufort/Morehead City, Washington and Elizabeth City to check out- all boating towns.

David

I think you meant Belhaven.

I think you meant Belhaven.

LOL...Yes, I think he meant that! Not much of a town as town's go, but a good stop on the ICW. We just stayed at the (paid) town docks and walked to one of the best restaurants ever...Spoon river. If I was driving I wouldn't make the detour, but for boaters on the ICW it's a great stop..They've got one of the coolest old timey Hardware stores too!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom