Old 12-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #1

City: Fairhope
Navionics IPad

Has anyone used a USB GPS connected to an IPad with Navionics?
DaleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Bad Elf GPS has a few models.

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/ba...connector.html
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #3

City: Fairhope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Do you know if it syncs to Navionics?
DaleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
TF Site Team

It should. There’re members here who use Navionics on their iPads with a Bad Elf gps. Try the Forum’s search function and plug in Bad Elf. You should get some hits.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi,

I have a few Aple devices, I would never trust it in navigation, I really don't want to use them for anything. Preferably a Windows or android based device for navigation. Prefer a real chart plotter and paper maps

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
Guru

Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
I have an external GPS that feeds two iPads, one running Aqua Maps and one running Navionics via Bluetooth with no issues at all. IIRC it is a Dual Electronics XGPS160 and can feed 5 devices at once. It also has a built-in 10 hour battery. $123 from Amazon for GPS and Glonass with 5 devices and $65 for the XGPS150 with GPS only and 1 device. This lets me avoid buying the iPad model with its own GPS saving some money.

I have enough cables at my helms without adding a couple more for USB so I went with a Bluetooth device. Granted I have only used this system since mid-summer and about 1200mi, but it has been flawless to date.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
Guru

Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Hi,

I have a few Aple devices, I would never trust it in navigation, I really don't want to use them for anything. Preferably a Windows or android based device for navigation. Prefer a real chart plotter and paper maps

NBs
In what way does this help the OP with his question? The fact that you prefer an astrolabe and sunstone is simply irrelevant to this discussion.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Hi Dale,
From what others have said, I guess you can use a USB GPS with an IPad. I have not tried this, as my IPad has the built in GPS. I use Navionics on the IPad as one of my navigation devices and have been very happy with it for years!
I also do use a USB GPS connected to my Windows laptop running Coastal Explorer. That works great as well and was very easy to setup!
I am not sure of the logistics of setting up an IPad for inputting data via a direct connection??? I do connect AIS to my IPad via WiFi, so I would assume GPS could be done using either Bluetooth or WiFi?
Good luck,
Tom
Old 12-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
In what way does this help the OP with his question? The fact that you prefer an astrolabe and sunstone is simply irrelevant to this discussion.
Hi Mr,

Thank you for the information! This help the OP

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:09 AM   #10
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Bought a bad elf years ago....didn’t work for what I needed it for. Threw it in a drawer and forgot about it. Recently I bought an iPad mini. Mostly use it for GA flying. I decided to also use it for boat navigation. I remembered my bad elf. Pulled it out of the drawer and charged it. Did an update and it was up and running. Connects to the iPad effortlessly and I can also connect my iPhone. It was rock solid for our last trip. Three, 3 hour legs. I never charged it and it still shows at least 3/4 charge. I use Aqua Map. Also have I-Boating. Both worked great. I think bad elf also works for Navionics. Check their web site or shoot them an email. Aqua maps wasn’t listed but it does in fact work.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: Hot Tuna
Vessel Model: 2002 American Tug 23 #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
OK your response made me laugh out loud. Funny shit
Pdxstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:22 AM   #12
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Ipad and and Time Zero here. Works great. (Navionics on my iPhone as a backup) I did have an iPad with a bad elf. Worked fine but didn’t like the added wire to connect the bad elf. Went with iPad with cellular/ internal GPS. Don’t need to purchase the cellular plan. The additional cost for the iPad (with cellular) was about the same as the bad elf as I Remember.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:30 AM   #13

City: Bellmore
Ipad

I use the ipad with navionics and bluetooth Dual XGPS150A

Works great

Ron
ronbo404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:19 AM   #14
Guru

I want to add that my bad elf connects via Bluetooth and can connect to multiple devices. I connect my iPhone as a back up.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #15
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
I have a few Aple devices, I would never trust it in navigation, I really don't want to use them for anything. Preferably a Windows or android based device for navigation.
Why would a Windows or Android platform with the same app be any better -- or worse -- than that same app running on an iThing?

-Chris
Old 12-09-2019, 09:28 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Hi,

NBs
Most airlines have ditched the flight bag full of 35lbs if charts and manuals for iPads. Been nothing but reliable for 6 years now.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #17
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Any ipad with wifi and cellular should get 5-6 meter accuracy at a minimum.
BadElf should bring it down to 2-3 meter accuracy. This is equivalent to any recent MFD with a good antenna. IPad with Navionics is more than adequate for most coastal navigation scenarios.

You don't have to activate the cellular but if you do almanac data will download quickly and triangulation might improve accuracy if you are within range of cell towers.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #18

City: Detroit
I have used my iPad with Navionics and a Vexilar wireless transducer for years. Not sure why I would want anything else. I use my iPhone as a backup. I think I would still want a fixed mount system from Raytheon or Garmin or whoever, but I would not use them-just have them in reserve/backup. The Navionics on my iPad is so easy to use and accurate enough for anything I have needed. The Vexilar transducer has worked extremely well also. I am actually a little surprised that it would have been so easy to install, use, and have reliability. My iPhone with Navionics was used quite successfully in a nighttime, fog filled passage in the North Chanel of Lake Huron (not someplace you want to be off course). We passed buoys within a few feet of where they were marked on the Navionics chart. Bill
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: Hot Tuna
Vessel Model: 2002 American Tug 23 #24
I've used iPad/Navionics extensively running the WA coast and up the inside to The Broughtons. It works exceptionally well. It started out as a backup to RayMarine gear but soon the ease of use and features made this the primary solution.

There are some shortcomings however.
1) iPads/iPhones will overheat in direct sunlight on a hot day, so you'll need to keep it shaded,
2) the display is not as visible in the sunlight as much of the marine displays are, and
3) they are not to be used where they will get wet.

Otherwise, they are a bulletproof solution and a fine backup to other nav in your boat.
Pete
Pdxstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #20
Guru

Excuse the thread drift, but this may also help the OP as an alternative. I use an ipad and a bad elf gps connected via bluetooth and is working flawlessly. I'm planning on adding a Vesper XB-8000 AIS transceiver and wondering if I can use it's gps function for my ipad. The bad elf is fine but it would slightly simplify things if there was already useable gps available.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote