Old 03-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #1

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Miko Too
Vessel Model: Navigator 53
Navigator Yachts "Certificate of Construction"

Hi,
Just purchased a Navigator 53 Classic in the US and shipping it to Australia. To avoid paying import duty, I need to get hold of a "Certificate of Origin" or "Certificate of Construction". These are documents issued by the factory with each new boat delivered. They list all the components of the boat and individually specify they were sourced or manufactured in the USA. After 46 years of operation, Navigator Yachts in California have recently closed their doors, hence I can not get one from the company.
All I require is a copy of any "C of O" or "C of C" from ANY Navigator 53.
If anybody out there has such a certificate, a scan into a computer and a send to my email, would be of great assistance and would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Phil phil@paringapetfoods.com.au

Wallaby Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
If I recall correctly, when a boat is documented (registered) with the USCG, you turn over the builders certificate to them. I wonder if they could produce the original for you, or at least a copy?

Old 03-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
If I recall correctly, when a boat is documented (registered) with the USCG, you turn over the builders certificate to them. I wonder if they could produce the original for you, or at least a copy?
Quite correct. I have documented two new vessels, and the CO was required on both. Assuming the Navigator was documented the USCG should have a copy in the vessel's file. If you have a documentation official number they should be able to tell you.

Click on the link, and then look at "How ownership is established".

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Fee Page
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
It looks like they have an owners group:

Navigator Yachts ? Premium luxury yachts manufacturer

if that is the same "Navigator Yacht" you might check with them there should be some
53 model owners.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I heard the company was sold, but I didn't hear they closed their doors.

Are you sure?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #6

When I rang the number for Navigator, I was answered by a fellow who informed me the company had been closed down and the name had been sold. The new owners of the name were contemplating having boats built in China and operating under a completely different structure, possibly 9 to 12 months away. This fellow told me he was there just "cleaning up" and was not able to give me any contact numbers or names. I have enquired with a couple of previous agents for a possible previous owner or director's name and contact, but have had no luck. Not sure how else I can find a contact number for a now defunct operation, or just what happens to the official records of the company.
Phil
Old 03-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
It looks like they have an owners group:

if that is the same "Navigator Yacht" you might check with them there should be some
53 model owners.
I have contacted the owner's club, no rely as yet, and the forum section of their website is currently not operating.
Thanks,
Phil
Old 03-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Phil View Post
When I rang the number for Navigator, I was answered by a fellow who informed me the company had been closed down and the name had been sold. The new owners of the name were contemplating having boats built in China and operating under a completely different structure, possibly 9 to 12 months away. This fellow told me he was there just "cleaning up" and was not able to give me any contact numbers or names. I have enquired with a couple of previous agents for a possible previous owner or director's name and contact, but have had no luck. Not sure how else I can find a contact number for a now defunct operation, or just what happens to the official records of the company.
Phil
Thanks, Phil. Very interesting. Crow's Nest Yachts bills itself as the 'exclusive West Coast dealer' for Navigator. Maybe they can help.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
That's sad. I've toured their operation in Perris, and I can't imagine paring overhead as low as the Marshalls had going. Family owned and operated, located in the most "3rd world" (made Mexico border towns look like NY)location on property they owned right next to a trash mountain in a industrial area. They moved there so their long time employees could afford to own a home, and raise a family. It was near the Interstate where trucking east was easy and unobstructed. Heck, they made practically everything in house including all metal work, and upholstery. They had woodworkers from Laos. I question how building in China could cost less due to the huge jump in shipping rates. I HOPE they keep building them here. Their one weakness was that the "ole man" didn't listen to anybody, refused to do any marketing and didn't seem to like anybody and burned bridges with east coast dealers faster than Sherman. All it needs is a builder to listen to what the dealers are asking to be built.and build them.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote