Navigator 4800

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
It looks like a go, sea trial, survey and mechanical tomorrow!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997/navigator-4800-3595158/

I'll of course be reporting back. A few areas of gel coat that need repaired, buffing/wax, new paint needed around the windows on the pilot house, otherwise so far not a huge laundry list to bring it up to my standard. Can't wait to really dig in tomorrow!

Things went fairly well yesterday. Some expected, some not expected. Ran well, some cosmetic needs, it's a boat of 22 years. Going to see if we can get some consideration from the seller. If the Seller is willing to be reasonable - we'll be closing on her.

Hope this one works out!

Glad to hear it went reasonably well. Good luck in the final negotiations and closing.

Nice looking boat! Good luck with the purchase.

Very nice looking boat!

Hopefully happy cruising!

Didn't anyone ever tell you that Canadian boats are bad luck? Better leave them to Canadians! ?

Is aluminum(see specs) ok for the holding tank?

Hoping for the best for you. I am close to the boat, happy to help if you need something. Will she be heading to Oregon?

No. That tank will need replacing at some point. Depending on the exact type of aluminum and thickness, it may already be end of life. I replaced my aluminum tank earlier this year after 33 years (far beyond what most expect them to last). Most of the tank was ok, but 2 of the bottom corners were beginning to weep and showed noticeable corrosion.

She will be heading for Portland provided we can agree on the closing. So far estimates are in on mechanical and approximate amounts on other items discovered during survey. I have posed a way forward. Probably the biggest concern is the lead found in the oil sample on the gen set. It could be from a number of sources. Mechanic said it sounded solid, ran good, thinks it should be flushed, injector serviced, valves adjusted, water pump replaced and then take another sample after some hours. (Kinda of a gamble, but then boating is in general)
The mechanic has pointed out a heat exchanger on the volvo that has some corrosion and is weeping just a bit. New part from Volvo $8k. I am hopeful he can pull, repair and reuse. I might just bring it home and deal with it locally.
I am hopeful the seller is willing to be reasonable about the boat, it's on the high side of retail for this area and there some issues found. About $20-24k depending on depth of a few of those items.
Not bad considering vintage, size, hours, and what not. I'd like to bring it back to bristol condition. Or a solid 8 should I say, all the way around.
I'll know either tonight or sometime this weekend if it's heading to Portland or staying where it is. :ermm:

The mechanic has pointed out a heat exchanger on the volvo that has some corrosion and is weeping just a bit. New part from Volvo $8k. I am hopeful he can pull, repair and reuse. I might just bring it home and deal with it locally.

Bess and I had corrosion around the forward end caps on both motor's heat exchangers where the zinc is located. If you have that, repair is NOT an option and you will need to replace the entire assembly. Just go ahead and plan on that. We can walk you through the process if you want to tackle it yourself. It isn't hard, but it does take some work and there are more than a few tips and tricks you will need to know to get it right. Your motor are a bit different than ours though.

Our parts were expensive, but nowhere near $8k a piece. Rest-assured, they weren't cheap. $4300 each if memory serves... plus a few o-rings and such. Do yourself a favor and call Dick Vosbury in Annapolis and let him quote you a price on the parts.

Regarding the paint. Navigators are well-known to have poor paint/gelcoat. to find one in good condition would be great, but it will take work to keep it that way. Bess and I are scheduled to go up for a complete paint job this Winter. We just can't stand it any longer.

Still, Navigators are great boats with a good hull design and good use of interior space. If you can close the deal, I know you will enjoy it.

This one will need some paint touch up in the cockpit, as well two small areas of core repair, some gel coat repairs. Nothing that is out of expectation for a 22 year old boat. I have seen some in better shape but can't expect perfect otherwise we'll be on the market for a long time waiting.

This one will need some paint touch up in the cockpit, as well two small areas of core repair, some gel coat repairs. Nothing that is out of expectation for a 22 year old boat. I have seen some in better shape but can't expect perfect otherwise we'll be on the market for a long time waiting.

The problem we found was that the paint is very thin. Go easy on it.

NO!

That's my reaction also. Seawater and urine can eat an aluminum tank from what I understand. It will take a few years but it will be eaten. No, I'm not a chemist but that question has come up here and other sites numerous times.

Best materials are either a fiberglass tank or the H.D. polyethylene tanks such as from Ronco.

Found out today that indeed she’s going to be heading to Portland. Closing as soon as Friday!

Congratulations,
We keep our boat in a boathouse just down the dock from that Navigator so have walked by her often. Looks like a nice boat.

Thank you, she's very well outfitted. Can't wait to really put her through the test and begin using her! I'd say stop by anytime but she'll be relocating.

Found out today that indeed she’s going to be heading to Portland. Closing as soon as Friday!

Congrats!!!! We love our Navigator....hope you love yours! :thumb:

Chartered a 42 Navigator once. The shift cable broke as my wife was bumping it in gear docking. SLAMMED that concrete dock hard enough to do some real damage to the dock. Hull? Barely a scratch.

Tough boat.

I have all the mechanical already scheduled. Shopping for new Christmas presents on amazon and picking out a new slip for it. Very exciting times!!

I should add, if anyone is thinking of relocating to Portland hit me up. As part of my business I give tours by water. We have some amazing water here in Portland!

I've always liked the layout of the Navigators. Especially the pilothouse and inside stairs going to the Flybridge. Only real downside in my mind were the exposed props, but that certainly is not unique to Navigators. I had seriously considered one, but ended up going with a single screw and full keel. Hope it all works out! Enjoy it!

Only real downside in my mind were the exposed props, but that certainly is not unique to Navigators.

Yea... we had the same considerations and concerns. Still, if you want a planing boat it is something you just have to accept. Deep water is our friend, and as sad as it sounds, we don't venture out of marked areas... really ever.

All boats are a compromise. Something I know I'll pay attention to, including floating debris. So many positives and boxes were checked - moving forward. :dance:

Some of the things I love and looking forward to enjoying
Great flybridge
New tender/outboard
Great layout on the ER - lots of room/access
2 staterooms
2 heads
Great open layout between salon and pilot station
Open salon doors/cockpit

Great looking boat. The style is a little like our Carver but on steroids :D Enjoy!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom