Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Navigator 4800

It looks like a go, sea trial, survey and mechanical tomorrow!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...-4800-3595158/

I'll of course be reporting back. A few areas of gel coat that need repaired, buffing/wax, new paint needed around the windows on the pilot house, otherwise so far not a huge laundry list to bring it up to my standard. Can't wait to really dig in tomorrow!
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
Guru

Things went fairly well yesterday. Some expected, some not expected. Ran well, some cosmetic needs, it's a boat of 22 years. Going to see if we can get some consideration from the seller. If the Seller is willing to be reasonable - we'll be closing on her.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
Old 12-11-2019, 11:46 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Hope this one works out!
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Glad to hear it went reasonably well. Good luck in the final negotiations and closing.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #5
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Nice looking boat! Good luck with the purchase.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Very nice looking boat!

Hopefully happy cruising!
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #7

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
Didn't anyone ever tell you that Canadian boats are bad luck? Better leave them to Canadians! 🤣
LowNSlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #8

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
She looks clean and well taken care of.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:53 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Is aluminum(see specs) ok for the holding tank?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:31 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Hoping for the best for you. I am close to the boat, happy to help if you need something. Will she be heading to Oregon?
Old 12-13-2019, 04:26 AM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Good question
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #12
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
No. That tank will need replacing at some point. Depending on the exact type of aluminum and thickness, it may already be end of life. I replaced my aluminum tank earlier this year after 33 years (far beyond what most expect them to last). Most of the tank was ok, but 2 of the bottom corners were beginning to weep and showed noticeable corrosion.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #13
Guru

She will be heading for Portland provided we can agree on the closing. So far estimates are in on mechanical and approximate amounts on other items discovered during survey. I have posed a way forward. Probably the biggest concern is the lead found in the oil sample on the gen set. It could be from a number of sources. Mechanic said it sounded solid, ran good, thinks it should be flushed, injector serviced, valves adjusted, water pump replaced and then take another sample after some hours. (Kinda of a gamble, but then boating is in general)
The mechanic has pointed out a heat exchanger on the volvo that has some corrosion and is weeping just a bit. New part from Volvo $8k. I am hopeful he can pull, repair and reuse. I might just bring it home and deal with it locally.
I am hopeful the seller is willing to be reasonable about the boat, it's on the high side of retail for this area and there some issues found. About $20-24k depending on depth of a few of those items.
Not bad considering vintage, size, hours, and what not. I'd like to bring it back to bristol condition. Or a solid 8 should I say, all the way around.
I'll know either tonight or sometime this weekend if it's heading to Portland or staying where it is.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:05 AM   #14
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
The mechanic has pointed out a heat exchanger on the volvo that has some corrosion and is weeping just a bit. New part from Volvo $8k. I am hopeful he can pull, repair and reuse. I might just bring it home and deal with it locally.
Bess and I had corrosion around the forward end caps on both motor's heat exchangers where the zinc is located. If you have that, repair is NOT an option and you will need to replace the entire assembly. Just go ahead and plan on that. We can walk you through the process if you want to tackle it yourself. It isn't hard, but it does take some work and there are more than a few tips and tricks you will need to know to get it right. Your motor are a bit different than ours though.

Our parts were expensive, but nowhere near $8k a piece. Rest-assured, they weren't cheap. $4300 each if memory serves... plus a few o-rings and such. Do yourself a favor and call Dick Vosbury in Annapolis and let him quote you a price on the parts.

Regarding the paint. Navigators are well-known to have poor paint/gelcoat. to find one in good condition would be great, but it will take work to keep it that way. Bess and I are scheduled to go up for a complete paint job this Winter. We just can't stand it any longer.

Still, Navigators are great boats with a good hull design and good use of interior space. If you can close the deal, I know you will enjoy it.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #15
Guru

This one will need some paint touch up in the cockpit, as well two small areas of core repair, some gel coat repairs. Nothing that is out of expectation for a 22 year old boat. I have seen some in better shape but can't expect perfect otherwise we'll be on the market for a long time waiting.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #16
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
This one will need some paint touch up in the cockpit, as well two small areas of core repair, some gel coat repairs. Nothing that is out of expectation for a 22 year old boat. I have seen some in better shape but can't expect perfect otherwise we'll be on the market for a long time waiting.

The problem we found was that the paint is very thin. Go easy on it.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Quote:

NO!

That's my reaction also. Seawater and urine can eat an aluminum tank from what I understand. It will take a few years but it will be eaten. No, I'm not a chemist but that question has come up here and other sites numerous times.

Best materials are either a fiberglass tank or the H.D. polyethylene tanks such as from Ronco.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:27 PM   #18
Guru

Found out today that indeed she’s going to be heading to Portland. Closing as soon as Friday!
Old 12-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #19

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Congratulations,
We keep our boat in a boathouse just down the dock from that Navigator so have walked by her often. Looks like a nice boat.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #20
Guru

Thank you, she's very well outfitted. Can't wait to really put her through the test and begin using her! I'd say stop by anytime but she'll be relocating.