Old 05-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
When I say "dead" I kinda meant that it no longer had any current information on it. Tried the phone numbers and they are disconnected. Email gets no reply either. But like you mentioned, the website probably fell between the cracks during the couple of times it changed hands in the past few years.

We'll post some pics of the test run we make tomorrow.
Lot's of those type websites floating around. Northern Marine hasn't changed theirs. Christensen hasn't been updated.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:06 AM   #22
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Tom and Bess,
You all have talked yourselves into that boat. Pretty much you better decide what you can negotiate.

When I was looking and yapping with diesel mechanics, I consistently heard that Volvos were "high-winders" that their RPMs at cruise were higher than other engines, and may have a "shorter" life cycle. Basic mechanics doesn't scare you, Tom (like it does me) so I shouldn't think that the normal exterior stuff like heat exchangers, piping, and injectors should be a labor cost as much as it is a parts cost. Not sure the hours on the engines (?) or the make and hours on the generator (?). Generators can also be costly, so inspect it closely.

90% of the problems a boat can have, I've seen you guys fix, so you should be fine. This next boat will be way more thirstier ($) than Skinny Dippin'. Be ready ($). Fuel is down from a few years ago, however .

Enjoy!

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:38 AM   #23
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Hey Ben!

We actually haven't yet talked ourselves into it. We need to do some more shopping!!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:55 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Take a look at the Hatteras 42 Motor Yachts, with and without cockpit. If I was shopping for a boat in that range that's the first thing I would look at. Engines and boats still extremely well supported by the manufacturers, great owner's forum and parts source. We've known three couples with these boats that have cruised them extensively and it's a nice layout and very sea worthy. I happen to like Navigators from my west coast days, but with the change in ownership and the paucity of them here in the southeast, would steer clear.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #25
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
Hey Ben!

We actually haven't yet talked ourselves into it. We need to do some more shopping!!
Tom will start pining. And I know you are loving that big beam and power. It takes a few days, but we'll be seeing you out there by Memorial Day!

Please don't wake me with those 25 knots!

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote