Old 10-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #1

City: Westport, WA
Navigating Help Needed

I know this is a odd topic but was wondering if anyone has made a trip from Long Beach CA to Florence OR in November or anywhere above or below in November? Will be with a 38 Foot Californian with twin engines. Is this a doable feat? Have done cruises in the summer but not in early November.

Any suggestions on places to hide if storms came up or best route if I wanted to marina hop (for safety given the time of year)?

Does anyone have a better way to get wave heights over seconds apart and wind wave predictions in areas they are cruising other than Internet NOAA info? As I know I won't have internet most of the time.

Any other suggestions on making this as safe as possible or any must haves? Other than not doing it?

If someone wanted to talk via phone about this to offer advise it would be welcomed or a simple reply would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Dan
Drzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #2

Anyone?
Old 10-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzasa View Post
I know this is a odd topic but was wondering if anyone has made a trip from Long Beach CA to Florence OR in November or anywhere above or below in November? Will be with a 38 Foot Californian with twin engines. Is this a doable feat? Have done cruises in the summer but not in early November.

Any suggestions on places to hide if storms came up or best route if I wanted to marina hop (for safety given the time of year)?

Does anyone have a better way to get wave heights over seconds apart and wind wave predictions in areas they are cruising other than Internet NOAA info? As I know I won't have internet most of the time.

Any other suggestions on making this as safe as possible or any must haves? Other than not doing it?

If someone wanted to talk via phone about this to offer advise it would be welcomed or a simple reply would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Dan
There are many good weather services. What equipment do you have on the boat? What kind of charting software?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #4

old stuff at the moment and getting a complete new package installed ASAP just need to find out what the best options are. Thinking about a Simrad network system with AP, Plotter, Radar, and fish Finder etc. but not a easy call and its a expensive mistake if I make the wrong choice.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
old stuff at the moment and getting a complete new package installed ASAP just need to find out what the best options are. Thinking about a Simrad network system with AP, Plotter, Radar, and fish Finder etc. but not a easy call and its a expensive mistake if I make the wrong choice.
Everyone has their preferences. I've only used Furuno and Transas. I don't think you need the functionality of Transas so just a good system as you describe. If you want more, sonar and night vision can both be nice but most don't go that far. Then there are many good weather services just based on what you want to spend.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #6

City: Bohemia
Check out Garmin and Raymarine. They both (like many others) have stuff that is all compatible. Radar, chart plotter, depth, sonar, auto pilot plus engine data can also be set up to go to the screen. Now everyone has 15" screens as well! They do cost, but hey it's a boat! You can even have XM weather super imposed on the radar screen! I would say pick your weather and have good navigation and go and enjoy the journey.
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #7

If anyone has suggestions on this I would be great full, I like to fish so a good sonar is a must.

Like is said need A smart AP, decent plotter, radar and a good fish finder. like furno as well but it douple what everyone else is.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
Hi Drzasa,

Running that particular route between September and March is a crapshoot at best, and a significant risk at worst. And I don't care how well found and equipped your boat is, nor who your weather router is, nor whatever whiz-bang electronics you might have aboard. Frontal systems originating in the Arctic move down the coast routinely during these months, often with little or no respite between them. And they can bring NASTY weather for pleasure boaters. Being caught offshore at the wrong time of day, at the wrong state of tide, and being forced to take refuge in a doghole is a recipe for a very bad day.

If you persist in making this trip during this time of year, your best weather routers and forecasters are found on the docks amongst the commercial fishermen that work out of those dogholes along the way. If the fishing fleets are inbound, "run, Forest, run" and follow them in. If they are on the docks the day you want to leave, find out why, and stay put if they do.

Marina hopping up the coast in the winter is not for the faint of heart, as they are a long ways apart north of Santa Barbara, and require significant diligence regarding time of departure and arrival at the next one. Given the short daylight hours in the winter, and the high probability of getting slammed somewhere along the way, in my opinion, WAIT until spring to make the trip. That opinion is more strongly emphasized if you are a working man, on a schedule. Alert! Alert! Danger, danger!!!!

Having made that self-same trip multiple times, in my own and other capable cruising powerboats, I currently have a standing invitation from a friend here in Everett to make the trip southbound to San Diego. My answer is OK, but not 'till April.

Regards,

Pete
jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #9

City: Bohemia
WOW! I would listen to Pete!!
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #10

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
You might check your insurance policy if you haven't already. Some limit coverage during that period.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #11
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungpeter View Post
Hi Drzasa,

Running that particular route between September and March is a crapshoot at best, and a significant risk at worst. And I don't care how well found and equipped your boat is, nor who your weather router is, nor whatever whiz-bang electronics you might have aboard. Frontal systems originating in the Arctic move down the coast routinely during these months, often with little or no respite between them. And they can bring NASTY weather for pleasure boaters. Being caught offshore at the wrong time of day, at the wrong state of tide, and being forced to take refuge in a doghole is a recipe for a very bad day.

If you persist in making this trip during this time of year, your best weather routers and forecasters are found on the docks amongst the commercial fishermen that work out of those dogholes along the way. If the fishing fleets are inbound, "run, Forest, run" and follow them in. If they are on the docks the day you want to leave, find out why, and stay put if they do.

Marina hopping up the coast in the winter is not for the faint of heart, as they are a long ways apart north of Santa Barbara, and require significant diligence regarding time of departure and arrival at the next one. Given the short daylight hours in the winter, and the high probability of getting slammed somewhere along the way, in my opinion, WAIT until spring to make the trip. That opinion is more strongly emphasized if you are a working man, on a schedule. Alert! Alert! Danger, danger!!!!

Having made that self-same trip multiple times, in my own and other capable cruising powerboats, I currently have a standing invitation from a friend here in Everett to make the trip southbound to San Diego. My answer is OK, but not 'till April.

Regards,

Pete
Pete, I just has a long conversation with the OP regarding this very subject (as well as electronics and insurance). Excellent advice.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #12
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Having made the trip a couple of times each way in sailboats and in pieces on various powerboats, but never in November, I can second Pete's summary. Just trying to get around Point Conception in bad periods can mean many days waiting for weather, hiding in Santa barbara or literally roughing it anchored in Cojo off Government point (bring your surf board, great break in there!).

Marinas and harbors (such as Avila Beach aka Port San Luis) if you want to call them that are few and far between, and in poor conditions even the protected harbors like Morro Bay can be a real challenge to enter. Then there are very few places to duck into if things suddenly turn and until Monterey none very pleasant in poor conditions, San Simeon being the best, but a pure anchorage only. So you really need to be very picky about the weather; can it be great that time of year? Absolutely. I have visited and fished the area year around in tee shirt weather. But like they say, when it's bad....

NOAA radio, if you don't have the internet, is really the best weather and sea condition source and available along the whole coast. For local knowledge around particular harbors, the harbormasters are helpful as is the CG.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #13
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
I would take a good look at Garmin, Furuno, Or a good PC based system (I.E. Coastal Explorer, Nobletec, MaxSea).
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #14
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
You're not going to make a big mistake with any of the major brands. See if you can get hands on demos and pick the one with interface you like. Short of that download the manuals and see which one is the easiest understand and figure out.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #15
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Get a SAT phone and install either OCENS or Clearpoint on your computer for weather.

https://www.clearpointweather.com

WeatherNet 4
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #16
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
I'm a Garmin fan however Capt BillII has made a good suggestion when it comes to running in areas where cellular or WiFi is far and between. I'm not familiar with SIRIUS weather coverage for the area you want to cruise in. It's pretty darn good on the East Coast. I'm not sure about where you intend to use the boat.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote