Navalloy "Zincs" vs zinc, aluminum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveandZoila

Vessel Name
Miss Rita
Vessel Make
2004 Heritage East
Navalloy Anodes ; cant find any info, only one post in Carolina Boat Owners Forum. Just finished saltwater trip, boat on hard. It will be used on freshwater for the next year or more. Zincs are OK except the 2 transom plates. What do I do? Are most freshwater boats using Aluminum? Can I get away with Zincs? The Navalloy Anodes claim to be Green, I don't care, but they claim to be good for freshwater and saltwater! And will work after being on the hard, not oxidizing like zinc. What say you?

Magnesium alloy anodes are what you want for fresh water.

My rather weak understanding is that if you are are going to be running in fresh water only, then you would want to use magnesium. If in seawater, then zinc. If you are going to be running in both, then aluminum.

I’m sure others can give you better info.

Lots of companies and pundits recommending aluminum for salt these days, with some claimed advantages over zinc.

Magnesium has highest protection in FW but will erode fastest. I'm in fresh water and tried to find everything I needed in magnesium but was missing a few. I've used alum for everything for 7 seasons and all appears well. They do erode where zinc stops working in FW.
Sideower thrusters switched to all alum anodes for all applications.

First thing is use all the same kind. I can’t get the hull anodes in magnesium so I use aluminum for the hull in all places. In the engines and generator I use magnesium because they are considered a different body of water. Don’t use zinc in fresh water.

First thing is use all the same kind. I can’t get the hull anodes in magnesium so I use aluminum for the hull in all places. In the engines and generator I use magnesium because they are considered a different body of water. Don’t use zinc in fresh water.

I keep meaning to buy the Navalloy pencil anodes for my engine as I have been doing a fresh water flush. I’ve heard you can buy them directly from them if you call, I just never think of it during their business hours.

Aluminum anodes are cheaper and last 30% longer than zinc. My aluminum boat has 18 aluminum anodes.

Back
Top Bottom