Old 01-16-2020, 05:47 AM   #101

City: Colonial Beach, VA
Vessel Name: Tatoosh
Vessel Model: 1979 49ft Marine Trader RPH
Not sure why this has spawned 5+pages. Put simply, any time you use acetone or other caustic cleaners, you damage your fenders, or other synthetic material items (but only talking about fenders here). That is why they turn sticky and feel different after use. Do not use stripper, acetone, carb cleaner, etc on products like this. You change the chemical composition of the barrier coating and the fender itself. You may not feel it the first time, but it will happen, and you did damage it.

Use a non-caustic cleaner like the previously mentioned Blechewhite, Spray-9, Purple stuff, Simple Green, etc. Blechewhite just so happens to work best from the dozen or so I have tried over the years, with the least amount of work. Most all the suggestions above will work, you just don't want to damage your fenders.

OK, off my soapbox.
Redhook98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:55 AM   #102
Veteran Member

City: Greenville KY
Vessel Name: Bare Necessities II
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' ACMY
I have used Awesome to clean my fenders and it seems to work very well. Spray it on, rub with a brush or mitt, spray them off. You can get it at the Dollar Store. I also use a garbage bag on my fenders when I am locking. The bag doesn't last long but they are not expensive, throw them away and you still have a clean fender.
Bare Necessities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:33 AM   #103

City: Vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDonna View Post
Can anyone advise me as to what will easily clean dirty white fenders?
Hope there is a product available to make this chore easier.
Thanks for any advice.
You might want to try a product called Vanisol. It’s made to clean toilets etc but it was amazing when I sponged it on my old SeaRay bow rider. I had it bottom painted but the first inch or two above the top of the paint line was badly yellowed and had hundreds of freshly attached baby barnacles. Those felt like little grains of sand. This stuff turned the yellow to white almost instantly and with some minor rubbing it dissolved the barnacle residue. It’s made of hydrochloric acid So wear rubber gloves and eye protection. Then rinse it off with a hose. Never tried on my fenders but it could be worth a try.
rhoulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:42 AM   #104
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Hang the fenders away from the hull except for the rubrail. With exceptions, the only time they should touch the hull is when touching the dock. Use docklines to keep the hull and fenders away from the dock.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0184.jpg  
Old 01-24-2020, 03:36 AM   #105
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Why not buy a roll of tube stockinette, cut to length, slip over the fender, cable tie top and bottom. End of season replace them. If you want to be fancy you could die it.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote