Nasty dirty fenders...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I can’t stand them any longer, they’re replaced.

Dirty fenders

Soft Scrub with bleach

Then cover with appropriate “303” product for protection

I'm assuming some on this thread have never locked up, or down, in some of the LARGE concrete walled locks on the TN River or Tenn-Tom Waterway, or other river systems - large ie 70-95' tall. As you are going up and the swirling water pushes your boat against the grimy concrete walls - the fenders are crushed (ours are 12" dia. Taylors), and they take a real beating. It takes four of these fenders (on one side) in these locks to keep the boat off the walls. Any covers would be shredded in short order, and any white fenders will be dark soon.
We were thinking we would only use the fender covers in a rafting up scenario or to cover the ugly and old fenders when not in use. They are easily removable.

fenders

Can anyone advise me as to what will easily clean dirty white fenders?
Hope there is a product available to make this chore easier.
Thanks for any advice.

Marine 31 online makes a mildew remover spray that is perfect. Spray it on, let it sit for a couple of minutes then hose it off with water. They will be as white as new.

I'm assuming some on this thread have never locked up, or down, in some of the LARGE concrete walled locks on the TN River or Tenn-Tom Waterway, or other river systems - large ie 70-95' tall. As you are going up and the swirling water pushes your boat against the grimy concrete walls - the fenders are crushed (ours are 12" dia. Taylors), and they take a real beating. It takes four of these fenders (on one side) in these locks to keep the boat off the walls. Any covers would be shredded in short order, and any white fenders will be dark soon.

While you are never gonna get away with your fenders in pristine condition running the river lock systems, we found that our white fenders were not ruined as long as we put our respective weights against a boat pole pushed to the wall at either end of the boat. I like to use a big ball fender forward and cylindrical ones aft. Sometimes you get lucky and find discarded fenders at boatyards which are good for locks.

Can anyone advise me as to what will easily clean dirty white fenders?
Hope there is a product available to make this chore easier.
Thanks for any advice.
Yes we all use acetone and a Terry cloth towel nothing faster or easier just dont smoke while cleaning them

Acetone and lots of paper towel. The fender will be slightly sticky for a few minutes but will dry and won't hurt it.
Use the same components to bring power cords back to new.

Greetings,
A lot seem to be recommending acetone. I was under the impression that acetone removed some of the plasticizing components from the surface and led to early degradation so while your fender/power cord is cleaner, you're shortening it's service life.

I detest cleaning fenders as well as compounding/simonizing off the scuffs they can put on hull sides. We have navy blue fabric West Marine fender covers on ours. They have lasted for 11 yrs so far... still look pretty good. Spray off easily with pressure hose nozzle. Wonder if they make camouflage design covers? Probably do! I bet RT knows - LOL

I have used acetone for years and my cords/fenders have not suffered.

I've had GREAT luck with Krud Kutter, a Cleaner/DeGreaser. Sold at Home Depot and elsewhere. Spray on, wait couple minutes and scrub off. Scrubbing is not hard - dirt and grime slide off. Best product I ever found (6 years living aboard w white fenders and one summer 110 filthy dirty slimy locks). Love the stuff!

I've had GREAT luck with Krud Kutter, a cleaner/degreaser after trying numerous products. (Home Depot and other places sell it) Spray it on, wait couple minutes and scrub off with brush. Scrubbing is easy - dirt and grime slide right off. Six years cruising full time; 110 dirty, slimy locks in one summer - they always looked pretty new.

I'll second Krud Kutter. It's great stuff. Only thing I've found that'll effortlessly get coffee film out of a thermos too.

As far as fenders, I've got a set with covers (sunbrella that matches my bimini) for normal docking use. If we're traveling somewhere with locks where we'll get the fenders dirty and slimy, I grab the set of white ball fenders from the basement, inflate them and bring them to the boat.

I prefer the balls in the locks from a functional perspective and it keeps the grime off my nice set. For how the ball fenders are used in the locks, it's usually 3x 12" balls tucked tight under the gunwale and 2x 18" balls down lower (bow and stern). That keeps the boat off the walls nicely and works great for tying up to tall concrete walls as well.

Newbie here. Recently purchased a 32’ Party Cruiser hard top that is serving us well as a starter cruiser on canals, lakes and rivers. Fenders were disgusting, beyond cleaning with all the cleaners in the Universe. Spray painted them and they are temporarily respectable.

Newbie here. Recently purchased a 32’ Party Cruiser hard top that is serving us well as a starter cruiser on canals, lakes and rivers. Fenders were disgusting, beyond cleaning with all the cleaners in the Universe. Spray painted them and they are temporarily respectable.

Welcome to TF!

A buddy and I were walking a dock in Old Sacramento couple years ago. noticed similar to your 32' Party Cruiser. Looks like fun!

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Temporarily respectable is a good description of some people I know.

200.webp

Last edited:
Fender Cleaning

Aceton is the only cleaner I've found that works without 2 hours of scrubbing.

When I can’t stand them any longer, they’re replaced.
I like how you think. When the ashtray is full buy a new car.
I only remember buying fenders once. Therefore clean fenders must be (in the back of mind) an absolute necessity when buying a boat. They have almost always lasted the duration.

Greetings,
The very fact that some have mentioned their fenders are sticky after cleaning with acetone is evidence that some degradation is going on. Keep on using it by all means. Just sayin'

Cleaning Fenders

At 80+ bucks for a new fender, some soft scrub bleach followed by electric cable polish works like a charm, removes paint stains, algae, mildew and grime, soft scrub does not scratch.

I bought six new fenders with covers, after a couple hours with the above combination, I took them all back.

@RT Firefly LOL regarding temporarily respectable people.

@ Art. Thanks. Just loaded up a few more pictures.

Last edited:
We've always used this product. Fenders come up as new. Whatever you do, don't scrub the fenders. You don't want scratches in the plastic which will only catch and hold dirt more easily next time.

Use a 3M white pad very lightly with the Cleaner, and don't forget to use the Finish afterwards.

Poly-Marine-Ltd.jpg

Black or dark blue fenders saves much work. MEK is available at LOWES, until it is banned as a harsh chemical. $17 gallon. Wear chemical gloves and a mask. Makes quick work of cleaning about anything, just don’t touch it or breath it. Back to dark colored fenders. Hey, commercial rigs use old tires, and just leave them hanging :)

A few months after I tried Marine Strip... the outside of the fenders became sticky. Not a film; more like the material was degrading, losing plasticizer, something like that...

-Chris

Our fenders were very dirty from the locks on the Tenn-Tom. We cleaned them with Marine Strip in November and have not had any issues since?

Back
Top Bottom