Nasty dirty fenders...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buy black ones.

MEK pretty much killed my old man. Don’t mess with it unless you’re a Democrat

Last edited:
There was a great thread that I, of course, cannot locate that had some interesting posts regarding cleaning and painting fenders. Seems like there was a rattle-can paint brand or two that showed promise.

MEK pretty much killed my old man. Don’t mess with it unless you’re a Democrat

I figured it wasn't good for you when they stopped selling it in our local hardware store.

Still, there's a big difference between a few casual uses per year, and industrial exposure.

I think I'm OK with the one gallon I have left, which will probably last me the rest of my lifetime.

...Also after cleaning, wax them up good and they will last longer. Turtle wax, Mequire's, etc.

Golly either you have way too much time or your hands or not enough boat projects!

LOL!

Jim

White fender???? Not for long and they eventually are not cleanable. Ours of 40 years almost have been set aside for Black. I know the black too will show wear but no where near as badly as white. They were white Taylors so decent units.

We scrubbed , waxed and so on. I repainted three times and although they looked better for a year or two they eventually went back to looking pretty rough.
I don't want to put that much time in on fenders.

However there are vinyl paints that can be used if your cleaning can't cut the mustard.. Talk to an automotive paint supply shop.

The old car landau tops used to use it, also the bumpers of today cars use a similar paint.

Use Blechwhite (yes, spelled that way). It is for stubborn white wall tires. Works for fenders, and is available at any auto parts store. It is a bleach and soap mixture that does an incredible job.

I have blue fenders which don't make the dirt so obvious, covers aren't cheap and in my experience look terrible after a fairly short time. I second (or third) the Gojo recommendation as it works and isn't a non-hand friendly cleaner as well as having other uses. I also have pretty rugged rub rails so my use of fenders is mostly limited to concrete surfaces or rafting with other boats.

For those that use fender covers and looking for a tough yet inexpensive alternate: we use hockey socks. After the kids moved out, we had quite a few pairs which gained a second life as fender socks. Great way to promote your favourite team as well! Noticed a number of other members in the club sporting these the year after we used ours. Makes for interesting dock walk conversations about team allegiances.

Our fenders are 12" diameter:angel::angel: Don't think socks will stretch ....

My seldom-used four year old white Taylor fenders are stored in the cockpit in such a way that they have gotten some black mildew-like gunk sunburned into their tops. I am just living with it for now but my go black in the future. Other parts of the fenders tend to collect a certain amount of mildew over time which I don't seem to have a hard time removing. For tougher mildew stains in caulking and the like I have found Clorox clinging gel toilet bowl cleaner to be effective because unlike normal watery solutions which include bleaches, it stays where you put it until you hose it off. I have seen it clear up mildew spots other cleansers couldn't touch.

I just finished making covers for our old blue fenders. I made them with boat cover material from sailrite. They claim they are less abrasive on gelcoat finishes and I hope they will be easy to clean in the future. 20200111_121632.jpeg

I am with Redhook on the product but looking at the container it is spelled "BLECHE-WITE"

Works great!

2nd acetone. Wash them first with dawn and a brush to get the heavy loose stuff off. Soak a rag in acetone. Wipe them down and rinse them off immediatly. Coat them with Malco PB2 (my choice).

If acetone scares you, I've always had good luck with Aurora products.
https://www.auroramarine.com/

Can anyone advise me as to what will easily clean dirty white fenders?
Hope there is a product available to make this chore easier.
Thanks for any advice.

Get a product called Bleachy White from an auto parts store. It is for cleaning white wall tires and works great on white fenders.

Thanks for any advice.
I am not sure if you have tried it yet...but the product Krud Kutter has truly been our best friend on our boat! It even cuts soot with no traces left behind! We use it for so much on our boat...I would like to think that it would work on the fenders as well! I believe my husband ordered it online through Amazon.

Good Luck!

Thanks for any advice.

I use Mr. Clean scrubby pads, work great on most everything.

What used is Rustoleum “ Fusion”. . It’s made to refresh plastic lawn furniture. Lightly washed fenders. Sprayed on. It melts onto the plastic. Took 2 coats. I hung them side wards to dry. Going o. 3 yeRs and still looks good. O res that black greasy dock stuff. Costs about $3 a can and I probably used a car for each medium-large size fender. Comes in a few colors, white black, nave and a few more. I used white and it really covered well.

Autocorrect got me before let me clarify. Co ears black dock grease very well. No need to scrape off. I used about a can, not a car, for each fender. Easier than those fender covers.

I'm assuming some on this thread have never locked up, or down, in some of the LARGE concrete walled locks on the TN River or Tenn-Tom Waterway, or other river systems - large ie 70-95' tall. As you are going up and the swirling water pushes your boat against the grimy concrete walls - the fenders are crushed (ours are 12" dia. Taylors), and they take a real beating. It takes four of these fenders (on one side) in these locks to keep the boat off the walls. Any covers would be shredded in short order, and any white fenders will be dark soon.

Dirty fenders

Good day
I use a 1000 grit wet sand paper and coment , works great , apply wax when done I use this method on my big fender balls I rent out to people transiting the Welland canal
Good luck

For covers after cleaning, or when new, or when going into a particularly nasty fender-use situation. Go to Goodwill and buy the correct size blue jeans and cut off the legs. Easy to cinch up the bottom after install and tie off the top. Throw them away when they get too awful. Haven't tried yoga pants but don't think they would hold up as well.

Nasty Fenders

Thanks for any advice.

I use Naphtha, buy a gallon at Home Depot or Lowe's (about 10 bucks a gallon) - no smoking around it, its combustible…. several rags you can throw in the trash and get gloves because the Naphtha will also soak into your skin and is bad for you...It works and also is great for removing just about anything you want to remove. Don't get it on your paint....it will take it off as well! It works very good on cloth head liners, rub rails - stainless or the plastic ones... as well....just make sure you do a test spot on anything colored....
Used it for many years for my fenders....

Back
Top Bottom