Old 11-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
RE: Narrowing the search

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Hydraulic transmissions like the BWVD need a hydraulic pump to function and I was told it takes 5 hp to run the pump so it seems mechanical gears are more efficient but like the difference between the efficiency of various engines it doesn't amount to much. Since I only have 37 hp to apply to my BW I had a much smaller gear installed in the pump so my losses are less but I've only got 37 hp. If I got an 80 hp engine I'd need to put the standard gear back in.
But Eric, you have*"accused" me of being "excessive" with*an 84-horsepower engine for a 35-foot trawler.* ...* Are you now wishing you had a more powerful engine?*

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Narrowing the search

No. There'd be absolutely nothing I could do w more power. I have been looking at other boats** ..actually lots but only on the computer. I see several possibilities: they are***
Eagle 32
Nordic 32
Island Gypsy 32
GB 32
CHB 34
Camano 34
Monk 36
The Eagles and Nordics are a bit too expensive. Most of the rest have Lehman's*** ...not really a negative but not really positive either. Some of the boats have been re powered w Volvo's but I will say I'm surprised so many old boats still have the old Lehman's and have not been re powered. They seem to be survivors. I still like the Nordic 32 best. I'm going to call tomorrow about a N32 listed at 99000. and it's an awful teal green. May have been for sale for a long time because of the color. But I probably won't buy anything. I've got a new engine and new fuel tanks in Willy and lots of other stuff too. But on many other boats I'd be picking up stuff I don't have now like thrusters and auto pilot. And the thought of getting a boat w soggy bulsa core decks, serious blisters, serious engine or gear box problems or fuel tanks that leak after I buy the boat. TOO many pitfalls really.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 16th of November 2010 09:53:12 PM

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #23
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Eric,
I'd personally go for the monk 36 over a NT32!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Narrowing the search

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
I still like the Nordic 32 best.
I was on one about 5 years ago and was really impressed with the overall boat. Everything was easy to get to and the boat was "tough" on the water. (like a Hummer) My only complaint was that the cockpit was too small. (Hardly any outside room on the boat.) From what I know about you, I think it's the perfect boat for you, Eric.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 16th of November 2010 10:27:37 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	3501   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	3502   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	3503  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
Narrowing the search

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

I will say I'm surprised so many old boats still have the old Lehman's and have not been re powered. They seem to be survivors.*
At the risk of appearing to contradict myself, the Lehman engine is a very robust, long-lived engine.* The quoted average lifespan of an FL120 in recreaional use, assuming it's operated and maintained in accordance with the design intention of the engine, is 12,000 to 14,000 hours before needing an overhaul.* In commercial service on the Washington State ferrry system (I assume running generators or hydraulic pumps) some FL120s went as much as 25,000 hours according to Bob Smith at American Diesel.*

This long core life does NOT mean it won't need some major work along the way with the ancillary equipment.* It will need at least one fuel injection pump overhaul if not two or three, it will need water pumps every so often, raw water pumps every so often, valve adjustments, exhaust elbows, fuel lift pumps every so often and so on.

My preference for newer engines is not because the Lehman is short-lived or unreliable.* It is neither.* I happen to prefer a more modern engine that produces more power per pound, is smoother, quieter, less poluting, and has much longer service intervals.

But in terms of reliability and longevity, a Lehman engine in a boat is not a detriment.* There's not much to break if it's run and maintained properly which is why there are so many of them around in so many types of boats still today.

As has been mentioned before, replacing a Lehman or a set of Lehmans is not an inexpensive proposition.* Installing a six-cylinder engine or engines of similar or better performance usually takes you these days into at least the 150 hp range--- Luggers, for example--- and they are not cheap.

So unless a Lehman actually fails to the point where a total rebuild is required, re-powering a boat with one or two perfectly operating Lehmans in it is simply not cost-effective no matter how much the owner may wish he had newer engines.* So that's why there are so many Lehman-powered boats still around.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 17th of November 2010 12:56:20 AM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:My only complaint [about the NT32] was that the cockpit was too small. (Hardly any outside room on the boat.)
In addition to that, my wife, who's been on a few Nordic Tugs, doesn't like them because when one sits down in the main cabin, it's very hard to see out the windows as they are mounted pretty high in relation to the seating inside the boat.* That's one thing she really likes about the GB---- when seated in the main cabin she can see everything.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Narrowing the search

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

... *I still like the Nordic 32 best. I'm going to call tomorrow about a N32 listed at 99000. *...
A Nordic 32 was on my finalists list, but lost partly*because it didn't have a walk-around (360-degree) deck or staysail option.* Also, I didn't need a fast "trawler."

The Coot has 16-inch-wide sidedecks.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 17th of November 2010 08:53:29 AM

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote