Old 06-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #1

City: Woodbridge, VA
Vessel Name: Das Boot
Vessel Model: Formula 280 SS
Smile Narrowed it down to two, need advise!

Hello Boys and Girls,

Long time speed boater on the Potomac river about to make the move to trawler speed, smell the roses type boating.

I have narrowed it down to two choices.
1. 1981 Defever 40- Ford Lehman 120 HP diesel engine - 1950 hours lot's of upgrades 1981 DeFever 40 "CUSTOM" Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2. 1989 Saber Fast Trawler- Twin DD 8.2 (250 HP Turbo) 2000 Hours Show boat so it's loaded. 1989 Sabre Sabreline 36 Fast Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

What are your thought? I know about the love hate feeling on the DD 8.2 and I don't plan on working them that hard to ever overheat them, but like the thought of moving out fast is I run into weather. But also love all the work done with the Defever. I will mostly be cruising the costal waters and ICW.

I'm really excited to join this group of boaters!

Keith
AutobahnRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
That DeFever looks extremely odd to me. I get the idea of that pilot-housey thing and covered aft deck, but they added a TON of windage (and some weight up high), neither of which is good for an inexperienced boater. Single engine - even with a thruster (was it sized for the windage on this contraption?) - and this is going to be a handful to maneuver in anything other than dead calm. Interesting W/D and water heater on the aft deck. The main teak deck replacement is good, possible concern that they didn't also do the aft deck and flybridge - condition of the cabin sides is important. Much of the gear is good. The engine room is particularly clean and usable. But damn, that's a 35 year old boat.

The Sabre leaves me neutral. 8 years younger than the DeFever, looks more modern, I dunno...I'm not personally excited about it but the good news is it will be MUCH easier to resell. And it's $45K cheaper to start with! But, yeah, those DDs aren't premium engines - you'll have to sea trial it to see if the noise works for you.

Note that the Sabre is a MUCH smaller vessel in terms of accommodation - it's 4' shorter and 18" less beam.

Honestly, I think you need to get on more vessels.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Northwest Basin, Penetanguishene, ON.
Vessel Name: WAVELENGTH [formerly San-Bar]
Vessel Model: 1981 CHEER MEN PT 38 EUROPA
Go with the Sabre - nice clean original lines and not modified.
2dboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Might want to take a look at the 41 defevers on yachtworld. Bought ours last year and really enjoy it.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
That DeFever looks extremely odd to me. I get the idea of that pilot-housey thing and covered aft deck, but they added a TON of windage (and some weight up high), neither of which is good for an inexperienced boater.
I get the concern about windage, but is it all that much worse than the fully enclosed oxygen tents you see around the flybridges of so many boats?

However, a heavily modified, 35 year old boat would definitely not be my first choice either. If you want a covered cockpit, get a boat that was designed that way.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutobahnRanger View Post
Hello Boys and Girls,

Long time speed boater on the Potomac river about to make the move to trawler speed, smell the roses type boating.

I have narrowed it down to two choices.
1. 1981 Defever 40- Ford Lehman 120 HP diesel engine - 1950 hours lot's of upgrades 1981 DeFever 40 "CUSTOM" Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2. 1989 Saber Fast Trawler- Twin DD 8.2 (250 HP Turbo) 2000 Hours Show boat so it's loaded. 1989 Sabre Sabreline 36 Fast Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

What are your thought? I know about the love hate feeling on the DD 8.2 and I don't plan on working them that hard to ever overheat them, but like the thought of moving out fast is I run into weather. But also love all the work done with the Defever. I will mostly be cruising the costal waters and ICW.

I'm really excited to join this group of boaters!

Keith
Some how I left one off: 1986 Jefferson 42 Aft Cabin - with newer Cat 3826 - will use more gas at cruise speed I bet 1986 Jefferson 42 Aft Cabin Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale -
Old 06-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
That DeFever looks extremely odd to me. I get the idea of that pilot-housey thing and covered aft deck, but they added a TON of windage (and some weight up high), neither of which is good for an inexperienced boater. Single engine - even with a thruster (was it sized for the windage on this contraption?) - and this is going to be a handful to maneuver in anything other than dead calm. Interesting W/D and water heater on the aft deck. The main teak deck replacement is good, possible concern that they didn't also do the aft deck and flybridge - condition of the cabin sides is important. Much of the gear is good. The engine room is particularly clean and usable. But damn, that's a 35 year old boat.

The Sabre leaves me neutral. 8 years younger than the DeFever, looks more modern, I dunno...I'm not personally excited about it but the good news is it will be MUCH easier to resell. And it's $45K cheaper to start with! But, yeah, those DDs aren't premium engines - you'll have to sea trial it to see if the noise works for you.

Note that the Sabre is a MUCH smaller vessel in terms of accommodation - it's 4' shorter and 18" less beam.

Honestly, I think you need to get on more vessels.
Great point, I was totally forgetting about that wind issue.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I get the concern about windage, but is it all that much worse than the fully enclosed oxygen tents you see around the flybridges of so many boats?

However, a heavily modified, 35 year old boat would definitely not be my first choice either. If you want a covered cockpit, get a boat that was designed that way.
Your bring the key points back up, I did want a cover helm, but only in the cabin. I like the look of the open cockpits, and would take most cover back down.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #9

I was also looking this one over 1986 Jefferson 42 Aft Cabin Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale -
Old 06-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #10
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
She offers a "Custom" hard top over the Flybridge and hard top extension over the aft deck. You will not find these two upgrades on any other Defever 40!!

You can see why, really spoils the lines of a good looking boat"makes it harder to sell"
Would check out a few more available boats in the 40 to 43 ft range , especially in your USA market, so many to choose from.
For me the DD's on the Sabre makes it a no go and also loosing 4 feet really reduces you live on board room.Don't worry about getting the extra speed , unless you are talking 40 knots or more it is not going to get you out of trouble , just may be decrease the amount of uncomfortable time before getting into port.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
8.2 engines are junk. I suggest you do a little research on them, like at boat diesel. Good luck on your search.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
3 quite different boat types. Are you really still resolving the type of boat you want, or down to making a choice?
The Jefferson looks tidy and loved, has twin Cats,and avoids the issues of the other 2. Sundecks have their + and - aspects to consider. Hard to tell from pics, is there any sign of water penetration?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #13
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. AR. "...but like the thought of moving out fast is I run into weather." Keep a better eye on the weather and you shouldn't have to outrun anything.

As Mr. r. says in post #2. "I think you need to get on more vessels."
Old 06-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #14

You bet I will enjoy the newer systems for radar and weather. I was caught once in the Potomac river. I smelt it, my knees were sore and with in five minutes out of nowhere it hit me. Thanks again for the help
Old 06-09-2016, 10:41 PM   #15

No, I have it narrowed down to these three. I just need to deal with the loaners as there a limit to what they will loan on these 25 plus ones. Thanks for the reply
Old 06-10-2016, 03:58 AM   #16
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Jefferson all the way!!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #17
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
This boat is in our shed, I've admired it since last year. I met the owner/craftsman last year and walked thru. A really nice boat in my opinion. Probably not what your looking for but might be worth a look here at "Great Bay Marine".
***I have no affiliation with the broker, yard or seller

Gray & Gray Yacht Brokers, Inc. (York, ME)
Old 06-10-2016, 07:32 AM   #18
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Looks to me like you are looking at different kinds of boats. Perhaps you need to sit down and do a decision matrix, listing your boat criteria and rating each one against the criteria. This will help you eliminate some of the emotion.

Defevers always seem to get a premium price, like Krogens. Having just gone through the process of selecting and buying a boat, I often wondered if what Defever had to offer was worth the extra money. I liked/like so many Defever options, but in the end, price played significantly in my decision. The $40K - $60K difference in price, for similary sized/equipped boats would go a long way toward upgrades.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:54 AM   #19
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Narrowed it down to two, need advise!

Assuming all three choices are equally mechanically and structurally sound (which of course they probably aren't), I like the Jefferson. Newer engines. Newer fuel tanks is a big plus. Seems tidy and well kept. The custom Defever with the add on will be hard to resell IMO and unwieldily at the dock possibly. Don't personally know anything about the 8.2 DD engines in the Sabre, but if the overall impression of the buying public is negative that could be hard to resell.

Why do so many posters, when asked which 1 choice out of 3 would they pick, offer instead offer up choice 4, 5, 6 or 7? I get that some might not like choices offered for whatever reason, but the OP is pretty adamant that he has narrowed it down to THESE THREE BOATS.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #20
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
Looks to me like you are looking at different kinds of boats. Perhaps you need to sit down and do a decision matrix, listing your boat criteria and rating each one against the criteria. This will help you eliminate some of the emotion.
To me, he has already established his needs; trawler speed, cruising the costal waters and ICW.

Maybe he is wide open with all the other boxes and those three boats will meet his needs.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote