Old 05-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Name boards

I really like some of the name boards that folks here have on their boats. I am particularly impressed with the boards on Marin's boat. Very classy.

Did you do them yourself, or did you have them done professionally? What kind of shop would you (did you) have them done at? KJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nameboard2[1].jpg
Views:	78
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	11284  

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
We made them ourselves, along with a pair of name and hailing port boards for the transom. They are more or less a copy of the factory GB boards but ours are longer than the stock boards.

We had the lettering done by a professional sign shop. It is in two parts, the gold upper layer and the gray drop shaddow. We completely finished the boards with some eight coats of varnish (this was before we had discovered Bristol) and took them to the sign shop and had them apply the lettering. Figured better mistakes be made on their dime than on ours.

This was in 1998. Every few years we give the boards another coat of finish. The lettering is the original but my wife made name board covers which protects them from the weather and UV so that has contributed greatly to their longevity.

Were we to do it again I would use a brighter or lighter gold or perhaps even silver. The lettering is actually rather dark, particularly under several coats of finish. Of course the right way to do it is to have the name carved and then filled with gold leaf but we didn't want the time or expense of doing that.

Very important when mounting the boards to stand them off the fiberglass a bit. If you don't moisture will get trapped between the boards and the fiberglass and stay there. Eventually it will lift the finish on the back of the boards and once that happens it's just a matter of time before the finish starts to fail on the edges and then the front. We used nylon spacers to hold them off about a half inch. Same thing with the boards on the transom.

For mounting the boards we used oval headed stainless screws with trim rings. There are four mounting screws per board--- the ones at the rear are hidden behind the nav lights.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Thanks. Nicely done. KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I like them and think they look great...

Just wondering if any authority would take them as a light "screen" because of the way they neatly fit around the nav light???
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

They are identical in configuration to the boards American Marine and now Grand Banks installs at the factory other than ours are a bit longer. I doubt the manufacturer would use a design that was problematical with any marine authorities around the word. We've not ever had anyone mention there was a problem with the design-- surveyors, USCG, etc. So I think they're fine.

The back piece does not extend out far enough to block the light's required angle of coverage.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Guru

on Ranger tugs...they are definitely lightboards
(screens) and are painted red/green...definitely a no no...
Old 05-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
on Ranger tugs...they are definitely lightboards
(screens) and are painted red/green...definitely a no no...
Why?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Why?
If light boards are fitted...they are to be painted matt/flat finish so the reflections can't be misinterpreted.

Most lights don't actually fit the specifications...thankfully the USCG doesn't REALLY check your lights...but lightboards are easy to see and the requirement if fitted is matt black for the inside surface..

For years while I was active duty I sent emails saying that boat lights suck...no movement because I was in the wrong branch..just another whiney boater...then after about 5 years of my bitching...the USCG came out with an all points bulletin for boaters that the operator was responsible for their lights as manufacturers and builders had their heads up their butts when it came to nav lights.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If light boards are fitted...they are to be painted matt/flat finish so the reflections can't be misinterpreted.
I'm understand but I'm not sure how the name boards on the Ranger Tugs can be misinterpreted. I've seen other boats where the name boards have been painted red and green as a standard practice.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I've made dog leg boards for my P&S running lights and I've made them out of white plastic. I assumed the white plastic would reflect the colored light from the red and green lights to make them easier to see. Sorta like the reflector on a flashlight. Have'nt finished them though.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
No sign-board names here. Strictly "business." (Besides, the boat's name won't fit.)

Old 05-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I'm understand but I'm not sure how the name boards on the Ranger Tugs can be misinterpreted. I've seen other boats where the name boards have been painted red and green as a standard practice.
If you can see red or green at any distance that is reflected by the "screen" you light is not in compliance due to it doesn't adhere to the proper "sector"...
Old 05-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I've made dog leg boards for my P&S running lights and I've made them out of white plastic. I assumed the white plastic would reflect the colored light from the red and green lights to make them easier to see. Sorta like the reflector on a flashlight. Have'nt finished them though.
And because they wount be interpreted for the proper sector...they are WAY out of compliance.....

but I will admit that it's crazy...if you mount standard lights on a white flybridge it seems to be the same same thing...
Old 05-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
Guru

".they are WAY out of compliance....."

We Alaskan's are not heavy into compliance.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #15
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Any reflections will create a wider field of display meaning an oncoming boat will have a harder time figuring out if you are a collision problem to them. The lights are supposed to produce a fairly sharp cutoff angle so they can be seen in a fairly sharply defined arc. That's why the black matte.

Reflections blur that definition or cutoff.

With that said mine are similar to Marin's but no name and not as pretty.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
Guru

With my white boards the extra illumination will occur only in the sector wanted. They will just be easier to see.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
With my white boards the extra illumination will occur only in the sector wanted. They will just be easier to see.
if there is ANY white past the lens...it will change the sector...unless your lights are the typically dim ones that they don't give any reflection....
Old 05-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #18
Scraping Paint

Took these photos today as I was leaving our boat. They are the factory name boards on a GB52 and an almost-new GB47.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GB52.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	11306   Click image for larger version

Name:	GB47.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	11307  
Old 05-14-2012, 03:19 AM   #19
Scraping Paint

In looking at the two photos above it occurred to me that the only reflections one would see off the name boards from the nav lights would be in the sector where you're supposed to see the light anyway-- at an angle out in front of it. Like the second photo. Abeam and aft of the light the reflective part of the board is away from you--- like a mirror tilted away from you---- so you wouldn't get see any reflections of the nav light in it anyway.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
In looking at the two photos above it occurred to me that the only reflections one would see off the name boards from the nav lights would be in the sector where you're supposed to see the light anyway-- at an angle out in front of it. Like the second photo. Abeam and aft of the light the reflective part of the board is away from you--- like a mirror tilted away from you---- so you wouldn't get see any reflections of the nav light in it anyway.
ok...whatever you guys think...but the USCG/NAVRULES require the inside of light screens to be painted matt black.

if they are nameboards/mounting boards...great...good luck.