NAIAD Stabilizers electrical challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinCT

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Neon Moon
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 480 Classico
This is a "new to me" Ocean Alexander 450 -- we're having a problem with the power to the stabilizers, and so far here is what I know:

1. When the stbd key is turned on -- it energizes a 12v to 24v converter so that the stabilizers get the 24v they need.

2. Both house & engine battery banks are charged.

3. The stabilizers will ONLY power on when the 2 banks are in parallel.

IN other words -- with parallel off and stbd key on -- no stabilizers. With parallel on and stbd key on -- stabilizers power up. With stabilizers "on" and turn "off" the parallel switch -- stabilizers shut down.

There is sufficient power on both banks to run the stabilizers -- why are they only powering when the parallel switch is ON?

Tough to say without a wiring diagram.

Go look at the house batteries and see if they are in series rather than parallel. See attached image.

To get the 24V they must be in series. I doubt that you have a helm switch that creates a temporary series. While it can be done, usually the parallel switch allows you to draw additional ampage of the same voltage if your batteries are a bit low - mainly to start your engines. I have never heard of it being used to create 24V.

Now it could be that the rest of your system is 12V and the stabilizers are the only things pulling 24V. Then it could make sense to have a series switch, but I am wondering how they isolate the 12V equipment?

As said, look around the boat to see if there is a wiring diagram, or an owner's manual that may contain the same.

Connecting Batteries in Series or Parallel

Are you sure there's not another breaker for the stabilizer 12-to-24v converter that is confusing the situation? Follow that converter wiring.

It could well be a bad connection or bad solenoid(s). Check the voltage at the solenoids and work back from there. Naiad is usually very helpful, give them a call on Monday.

This is a "new to me" Ocean Alexander 450 -- we're having a problem with the power to the stabilizers, and so far here is what I know:

1. When the stbd key is turned on -- it energizes a 12v to 24v converter so that the stabilizers get the 24v they need.

Do you know that for a fact? As in you either can see the converter energize when you turn the key on or you have metered it. Or that is just what you've been told?

Converter power fed by port battery bank, control circuit by stbd key switch? Trace converter wiring to DC power source to prove disprove.

2. Both house & engine battery banks are charged.

3. The stabilizers will ONLY power on when the 2 banks are in parallel.

IN other words -- with parallel off and stbd key on -- no stabilizers. With parallel on and stbd key on -- stabilizers power up. With stabilizers "on" and turn "off" the parallel switch -- stabilizers shut down.

There is sufficient power on both banks to run the stabilizers -- why are they only powering when the parallel switch is ON?

With all the possibilities that can be wrong, sounds like a amperage problem to me. However I would suggest giving Craig Calkins at Stabilized Marine a call, He gives advice and his knowledge freely. I have done extensive work on my Naiads with his help and advice and diagnosed many problems. As well as advice etc, his background and knowledge of his many years, has given him an immense background acumen. Parts are shipped swiftly, even internationally. Stabilized Marine Home Tel954-797-7330 email stabilizedmarine@comcast.net

Last edited:
Naiad has some 'safety' overides in their set-up.

Typically you need to be at 4 kn or above for them to operate. This uses a GPS input to the control box.

And they will also not operate in reverse gear, indeed both engines need to have forward gear engaged. This is usually controlled by a switch on an arm at the gearboxes.

Could it be that the installer for your system assumed that if both engines are in forward gear then the batteries will be in parallel, and somehow wired a 'safety' cutout that way?

Naiad has some 'safety' overides in their set-up.

Typically you need to be at 4 kn or above for them to operate. This uses a GPS input to the control box.

And they will also not operate in reverse gear, indeed both engines need to have forward gear engaged. This is usually controlled by a switch on an arm at the gearboxes.

Could it be that the installer for your system assumed that if both engines are in forward gear then the batteries will be in parallel, and somehow wired a 'safety' cutout that way?

Not so on their older systems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom