Mystery Machine...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Islanddreamer

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
Our boat has a Jabsco water pressurization unit several feet from the item in the pictures attached. There are three lines as you see and I can trace two to water lines connecting in a T fitting. This gem is beneath the galley on the port side and appears to be connected still to 12 volts. No marking except what you see here. I cannot get myself wedged any further in to get closer.

Any ideas?

mike IMG_0113.JPGIMG_0102.JPG

Could it be an auto pilot hydraulic pump? Do you have an auto pilot? The pumps are sometimes identified as Type 1, 2, etc. Are you sure they are water lines and not hydraulic steering lines?

No idea but...
This came to mind.
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 589
3 lines connected, no doubt about it, you found this:

PDVD_009.jpg

L.

Could it be an auto pilot hydraulic pump? Do you have an auto pilot? The pumps are sometimes identified as Type 1, 2, etc. Are you sure they are water lines and not hydraulic steering lines?

I think you have hit the nail on the head. First cropped rotated photo is his mystery machine and the second is a older type 2 Raymarine auto-helm pump, note the markings...:thumb:

Attachments

• Your Photo.jpg
    Your Photo.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Raymarine-Type-2-Pump-12V.jpg
    Raymarine-Type-2-Pump-12V.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 587
RTF - I was watching this online a week ago! Those cartoons still hold up after all these years. Beats watching the news...
Comodave - I think you hit the nail on the head. Yes I have hydraulic steering and autopilot. The lines are copper like a water line. It's in the darnedest place though, and that was why I was first thinking something water related.
Bruce B - Have to say that did come to mind after I posted.
Lou Tribal - glad I didn't just get angry and start ripping things out... it would have been a real mess made worse by live 12 volts. Just like welding next to my fuel tank.

Thank you for the pic, Mike. Mystery Solved! Yes my autopilot is an older Raymarine unit. Still does what I need it to do. Not fancy though.

We have a Ray 6000 auto pilot that works great. I thought it looked like my pump, but my pump is in the lazarette by the steering system. I guess it can go almost anywhere in the system but under the galley is unusual. I still have to get the auto pilot interfaced with my e127. Just haven't had time to mess with it yet.

Also thought the location should have been closer to the stern. I wish it were elsewhere so I could check it out while the engine is running. At present my butt would get chewed up by the alternator and belt underway. Sometimes I wonder if a trawler ownership prerequisite shouldn't be no taller than 5'5" and no heavier than 140lbs.

Greetings,
Mr. I. "...no taller than 5'5" and no heavier than 140lbs." AND have 4' long arms with 3 elbows...I hear ya brother...

Also as you get older you don't move as well and take longer to recover...

I was hoping it was a Flux Capacitor, but that wiring doesn't look like it could handle 1.21 gigawatts !

"Channels ??? Where we're going we don't need channels !"

You could use the autopilot with the engine off. Simply wedge in there and have a friend make helm adjustments while in auto.

OP - if you can't get right in there to take a good photo, how do you reach the handle on that seacock hiding behind the three hydraulic lines?

I can turn the seacock just fine. Trying to hold an iPhone in the correct position and hit the little button to take the picture without dropping the phone is another story. They should have made one of the buttons on the side the shutter release. Was holding a little flashlight in the other hand trying to illuminate my target.

I was hoping it was a Flux Capacitor, but that wiring doesn't look like it could handle 1.21 gigawatts !

"Channels ??? Where we're going we don't need channels !"

I was thinking that the stainless steel in the adjacent tank coupled with the flux capacitor might help me get up on plane...

I can turn the seacock just fine. Trying to hold an iPhone in the correct position and hit the little button to take the picture without dropping the phone is another story. They should have made one of the buttons on the side the shutter release. Was holding a little flashlight in the other hand trying to illuminate my target.

It probably depends on what operating system you have but the volume buttons probably work as a shutter release button...they do on my iPhone. You can also use the self timer to push the button...then stick the phone into position and just wait so your finger push doesn't give you a blurry pic.

Didn't think of that one and I'll have to give that a try. Phone is a new iPhone 7 as I dropped my last on into my pool, but that's another story for another day which my wife had great fun with.

Thank you.

Both of those buttons on the left side are shutter release

I bought a selfie stick so I could video a couple of inaccessible things on my boat. It has a cable that plugs into my iphone that acts as a shutter release with a button on the end of the stick. Makes it very easy to snap a photo or shoot a video. Cost about $7 at a big box store.

I bought a selfie stick so I could video a couple of inaccessible things on my boat. It has a cable that plugs into my iphone that acts as a shutter release with a button on the end of the stick. Makes it very easy to snap a photo or shoot a video. Cost about $7 at a big box store.

Thank you- never thought of that one. I wonder if an iPad can be linked to an iPhone acting as a remote camera?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom