Mystery fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tatlayoko

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Invictus
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32
When I purchased Invictus in November last year it had lots of 'stuff' stored in various nooks and crannies throughout the boat. My wife and I have been gradually sorting through this stuff, discarding what is no good, and passing on things that might be of use to somebody else. We came across this strange fitting and wonder if anyone out there in Boatland can tell us what it is? So far anyone we ask has been stumped.

A brief text description to go along with the attached images: nicely finished brass fitting consisting of two identical halves that have matching pin and hole, the pins hold the bottom together and the brass shackle holds the top together. The bore has a very large radius and is approximately 1 3/4" in diameter.

Attachments

• img_1875_2_1.jpg
    img_1875_2_1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 78
  • img_1876_2_1.jpg
    img_1876_2_1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 93
  • img_1873_2_1.jpg
    img_1873_2_1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 93
  • img_1878_2_1.jpg
    img_1878_2_1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 74
I don't have one of those on my tug. It looks like it might hold up a hose or large cable...a sling, sorta.

Looks like it might clamp around a line? For a sentinel?

Speaking of a sentinel does anyone have one to spare or does anyone know where to get one?

Only a guess, but maybe a strain relief for shore power cables? Thinking you might put a power cable and a water hose in the devise and maybe hold it by tying it to say a piling if you had a long span between the boat and the dock power pedestal. Keep the power cord and hose out of the water without a sharp bend in either.

Ted

There is an ABI that is a manufacturer or supplier of all sorts of cable-related items. Fittings, tubing, clamps, etc. While I could not find a reference to your specific component I would hazard a guess that it something to hold, suspend, or lift a cable of some sort for some reason.

Thanks for all the replies. Mystery solved!! Just not sure I'll ever use it. Any idea how much weight to add? Downrigger ball?

Thanks,
Peter

The weight is a matter of handiness , how easy it is to hang 20- 40 lbs of weight on it and then shakel it to the anchor line..

superdiver wrote:

Why would you put that on your rode? what did it do?
A heavy weight, known as a Kedge or Kellet is attached to the single eyelet, allowing the Kedge to hang below as the bronze aparatus slides down the rode. The curve allows it to slide easilty going down and back. The weight acts to add catenary and create a shallower angle of attack for the anchor relative to the bottom. You would slide it down until it hit the bottom, then bring it back up about ten to twenty feet (subjective distance, as it would depend on how deep your anchorage is, and in my case, it's just a wild a--ed guess.

Peter,
I'd say about 15 to 30lbs or what ever you can pull up from whatever depth you'll be anchoring in. Seems to me you're boat's at Bella Coola so I'm going to assume you'll prolly be pushing the limit on depth.
Mike,
Thank you for the link. I had'nt found one yet. That's funny** ...I was look'in right at it and didn't even know what it was. Never dreamed the mystery thing was designed to slide.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom