Mystery Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The unveiling.

And.....

.....I am no further forward.

The green thing in the middle is an Rena Air 400 - an air pump for a home aquarium.

The two copper tubes have no markings.

Fancy aerator device for the holding tank. Much more efficient than ozonator for controlling head odors. Supports the aerobic bacteria in your tank - smells much better!
...... but, didn't you say it was hooked up to your water tank?

Fancy aerator device for the holding tank. Much more efficient than ozonator for controlling head odors. Supports the aerobic bacteria in your tank - smells much better!
...... but, didn't you say it was hooked up to your water tank?

If it's just a simple tank aerator, why would the air lines go through the "copper" tubes?

It is an ozonator for water purification and odor control

A_11_with_Copper_Tubes_1280x1280__79393.1422662051.200.200.jpg

BO-2205AMT-Wholesale-Water-Purifier-font-b-Ozone-b-font-with-quartz-font-b-tubes-b.jpg

Last edited:
Great job Menzies, you brave Super Hero.:thumb:

If you open the tubes up you'll most likely find UV bulbs.

I say Capt. Bill is spot on with that. (Ozone Generator!)

Thanks for the fun and sharing the mystery box with us Menzies.

Happy Cruising

H. Foster

timthumb.php

This guy discovered the same thing while opening the yellow box!!!

This has to be the best thread of 2016!!! It was fun. Thanks for sharing and fun.

Technically it's not over yet.

He hasn't opened the tubes. :D

No way am I opening those tubes.

The question now is - do I put it back on the boat on its timer, or do I withdraw the tube from the water tank and somehow close that little hole.

Last edited:
Well, as you can see in post 95 the ozone is used to control odor in both air and water.
I would put it back for the day that you may feel you need it.

Meanwhile back at League of Justice, Superman is hiding under the desk fearing the mystery box contains kryptonite and will make him weak if it is reinstalled. His vote is no.

Batman fears if it goes back into operation the Bat signal will go off and he will have to do some work. He votes no.

Wonder Woman doesn’t care, because she is playing Go Fish with Aquaman, and Aquaman doesn’t care because he is with Wonder Woman. They are no votes.

This only leaves our Super Hero UV Man (Aka Menzies) to make the call. What will he do?

The way I see it, if it works why not hook it back up. On the other hand how much power does it take even on the timer? I’m glad I’m not a Super Hero!

Now I will go get my popcorn and see what will happen!

Happy cruising

H. Foster

Last edited:
Dammit, back on it goes.

I will watch the dial to see what it draws. But not sure I will plug it in until the spring.

Dem tubes be opened,

Dem tubes ain't goin' back together agin'

Dem tubes be opened,

Dem tubes ain't goin' back together agin'

If there are UV bulbs in there, they do have a finite life and have to be replaced from time to time.

So before you replace it in the boat fire it up and check that you can smell ozone coming out of the hose.

If there are UV bulbs in there, they do have a finite life and have to be replaced from time to time.

So before you replace it in the boat fire it up and check that you can smell ozone coming out of the hose.

What does ozone smell like?

May I suggest you do a little research on ozone generators and their effectiveness (?) before you put it back into service.
Some people a lot smarter than me have used the term "snake oil".
Others point out the harmful effects of ozone. Don't think I would want extra ozone being released into my living space!

It's been discribed as that fresh air smell you get in the air after an electrical storm in the summer.

But you'll know when you smell it. :D

And yes there are potential negatives to using ozone. Do some Googling and decide for your self if it's over blown or not.

Of course your system is outputting to an enclosed tank.

If you start to think that your boat is 200 feet long with a pink hull and that your crew is an army of half naked beauties, the for sure this not ozone but something much more fun!!! :rofl:

If you start to think that your boat is 200 feet long with a pink hull and that your crew is an army of half naked beauties, the for sure this not ozone but something much more fun!!! :rofl:

Which half? Top, bottom... or fully 1/2 of all the beauties?? - :thumb: :lol: :dance:

Ozone has a fresh smell that reminds me of chlorine. In higher concentrations it can be very irritating. Ozone can also damage rubber. In this application where it is bubbled through water in a tank and the tank is presumably vented overboard, I don't think it can cause much damage. Might shorten the life of the vent hose. Unless you fill your tank from unreliable sources, you probably don't need the ozone. Most boaters get along fine without it.

Ozone has a fresh smell that reminds me of chlorine. In higher concentrations it can be very irritating. Ozone can also damage rubber. In this application where it is bubbled through water in a tank and the tank is presumably vented overboard, I don't think it can cause much damage. Might shorten the life of the vent hose. Unless you fill your tank from unreliable sources, you probably don't need the ozone. Most boaters get along fine without it.

Like he said... :)

Back at the League of Justice, Superman says it smells like kryptonite.

Batman is clueless because Alfred is on vacation and does not know how to use the analyser machine.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman are now playing Strip Go Fish and Wonder Woman is topless.

From your last video it looks like (to me) it was working. (All those bubbles) But it does not hurt to check it over to make sure.

As far as the harmful effects of ozone? How long was it on your vessel? Years I take it with no harmful effects to the owners. Plus the EPA would have ban them if there were harmful effects or issued a warning.

Question: Was it operational when you found it? I take it was, because it was hooked up and you simply did not know about it to turn it on.

The way I see it, if it works and does not draw too much power, what harm will it do? On the other hand, you have been cruising this long without running it and you have gotten along without it so it's your choice you brave Super Hero!

I need more popcorn!

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm late to this party, but as this was located beneath the master bed with tubing running to the water tank, I suspect it is (was) an attempt to improve upon an old device. Back in the day, it was common to keep a container under one's bed, much more convenient than taking that 4 AM walk out back (this also explains the fan). Now the recirculating tube suggests the PO may have attempted to save space (it is a boat) by combining the chamber pot with a water maker. My guess is, this didn't turn out well. Do you know what happened to the PO? Fortunately you found this device disconnected but you might want to consider replacing the water tanks.....just saying.

May I suggest you do a little research on ozone generators and their effectiveness (?) before you put it back into service.
Some people a lot smarter than me have used the term "snake oil".
Others point out the harmful effects of ozone. Don't think I would want extra ozone being released into my living space!

UV is excellent at killing stuff in the water but it has nil residual effect, say like chlorine dosing. Therefore I would suggest that tiny amount of water those small pipes can circulate would do little to keep the tank clean.

I have worked on big Aqua fine UV units and have a small UV on my boat after the water makers just a little added water safety .

This is a home made unit

Looks like it would be a bitch to clean or replace the bulbs or quartz sleeves.

Ozone generators can be as simple as UV pool disinfecting units to the plasma units
I have seen what plasma units can do and are down right dangerous even eating holes in stainless. I personally shy away from it as works like an oxidizer in the air and breathing it in higher concentrations is not good.

Back
Top Bottom