My window nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
As some of you know, I pulled 3 windows out and ordered them from Daytona glass. I still do not have the new glass. I really didn’t think this was rocket science.

So, I could really use your help in finding someone to just do them. I’m sick and tired of screwing around. I cannot use the boat until I have windows. If you are in the area and know if someone who does this for a living, I would like their number please. I’m so over this

When I replaced a broken glass on my MT I took it to a local auto glass place and they made it in safety glass on the spot. Beveled the edges and cut a finger slot too. It was less than $30.00 and I brought it home with me. It is indistinguishable from the other glass.

Hope this helps.

I second laminated automotive safety glass. Replaced the 3 opening front windows before rebuilding the cabin, with it. Made templates out of cardboard. Order time was a couple of days and fit perfectly.

Ted

I replaced all 3, cut while I waited. $80 each.

Yea, I did this. Guess I’m just using a rotton company. The can keep my 100 deposit. I’ll try another place.

Donna,

What glass specifically are they supplying?

THey should, as mentioned, be able to cut and supply laminated safety glass.
I've gone that route a few times for replacement windows although the only time I got to wait was when the guy doing the cut didn't read the instructions or pay attention to the old window as a pattern..
He assumed the window was square. It was not although nearly so but because of that error it did not fit and could not be recut. The shop owner was annoyed with him.

If what they thought you wanted was tempered glass that is a different matter.
It has to be cut, sent to a heat treatment shop which will likely be at least a few days, and then shipped back before you get it. Most small glass shops do not have heat treatment ovens.

Of course they could just be goof offs but what are they supplying.?

Are you replacing the glass or the whole frame incl the glass? Must be someone doing the latter,it was easy to get whole new units here made to template, and we`ve less boat service people than you`d have.

Back
Top Bottom