Old 06-23-2014, 02:07 AM   #81
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
[QUOTE=Peter B;244186]Eseyoung, y'all have been a victim of the endemic virus on the forum called thread drift.

With respect Pete, Eseyoung was a victim of some pretty self opinionated pieces of moral judgement masquerading as an opinion.

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:17 AM   #82
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
[QUOTE=Andy G;244212]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Eseyoung, y'all have been a victim of the endemic virus on the forum called thread drift.

With respect Pete, Eseyoung was a victim of some pretty self opinionated pieces of moral judgement masquerading as an opinion.
I was trying to be tactful, Andy...

Old 06-23-2014, 05:20 AM   #83
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
My Wife is 38 and I just turned 40 last week. We own a Trawler after doing the ski boat, Sail Boat, and Bayliner adventures. I have never personally met another trawler owner in our age group, but I look forward to it when we do. Until then, I enjoy boating with the older crowd...... the only downside, everyone goes to bed by 9:00pm.

Just kidding!
9 pm, absolutely, among our cruising crowd 9 pm is called boaters' midnight.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:04 AM   #84
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I was trying to be tactful, Andy...

Careful Peter, as that may become contagious.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #85
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I took "put his hands on" as a euphemism, meaning the guy touched his wife in the heat of an argument.

Merriam Webster: Hands on--relating to, being, or providing direct practical experience in the operation or functioning of something <hands–on training>; also : involving or allowing use of or touching with the hands <a hands–on museum display>

Whether a push, prod or poke of a finger, as many have pointed out, it's grossly inappropriate to touch anybody while you're in a rage. It's interpreted as aggressive behavior and, where I come from, it's crossing a line and would likely be met with aggression . . . and then some . . . by most males and some females.

Pouncing on trivialities . . . as in "what did she do to bring this on" . . . is disrespectful and irrelevant.

If someone on my staff reported an encounter like this and I responded with a "hands-off" attitude like the bridge did, there's a good chance I'd be fired.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #86
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
My Wife is 38 and I just turned 40 last week. We own a Trawler after doing the ski boat, Sail Boat, and Bayliner adventures. I have never personally met another trawler owner in our age group, but I look forward to it when we do. Until then, I enjoy boating with the older crowd...... the only downside, everyone goes to bed by 9:00pm.
Don't forget the afternoon naps!

You are quite correct though -- when the sun goes down my get up and go heads for the bunk with a book (or my Kindle)
Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #87

City: Anacortes
I think some of you are fooling yourselves as to trying to freshen up old clubs. It can't be done because the memberships don't really want it. Yes, they all talk about wanting to attract younger members, they are well aware of their own reputations. But its window dressing only. I liken it to car clubs where nobody has built a car in 20 years, they just want the repeat recognition from last year. The yacht club parallel is not that far off.

What they want? They want younger boaters to join, adopt the outdated values of the baby boomers and just play along as never fully accepted junior members. What they don't want is to change themselves to be more attractive to the younger generations. I've seen more than one new member get chased off this way.

It's tough. If I was just starting out boating, I would be severely turned off by just about any/all of the exiting clubs. This is at a time when it is increasingly harder for new boaters to get into the activity. We see fewer families every year. Boats get bigger, but ironically without more people on board. You can only sell so many t-shirts to one slip. We may still have marina's, but with this trend "destinations" will be fewer and far between.

The bigger trend I now see is the exodus of even long time boaters. Without the younger generation to take their place, the math starts to get simple.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #88
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Welcome ghost.

Agree entirely.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #89
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Ghost, welcome are you the same Ghost from BE?
I agree with you as well.
Well stated...
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #90

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
We are generally not "joiners". I did join a yacht club once for reciprocal privliges. I used them once in Dana Point and got so much grief from a receptionist I never used them again and quit the club. There are people around that think their view is the only view and their opinion is the only right one. Ignore them if possible and leave, like you did, if you can't ignore them. Most of us started boating around your age and just grew up. Didn't mean for it to happen but there you go. I'd rather buddy boat with you and your family than the old geezer. And I'm 66.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #91
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
To me, every marina is a little bit of a club. And every marina has it's own culture. Yacht clubs often seem to be more about what's on land than the water.

We belong to a yacht club for tennis and for reciprocal agreements. However, I must say ours is quite family oriented. There is an extremely active junior sailing program and training starting with kids as young as 5. Also youth tennis and on Friday nights a Kid's Corner as a place for kids while parents socialize. And this is an older club, founded in 1938.

90% of the yacht clubs we've visited have been very friendly. In 10% transients are allowed but not embraced, considered a bit of an intrusion by some. I understand and am not bothered by that.

We're really not club types, too independent. Plus our boating isn't confined to any area. However, we have not run across circumstances that we would identify as not welcoming because of age. There are some that are big cliques and are difficult for any newcomer. If you're younger it may seem though like an age thing simply because they're older. We were at one club and an 84 year old man there told us, "Just ignore those two. They don't like anyone who doesn't live on the island. I've been coming here 20 years and they still don't like me coming. They're just cranky old men."
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #92
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: In Between
Back to the original post, Yacht Clubs are usually mini democracies and each one has its + and - points. When anyone joins a club it does not take long to determine who the jerks are. Every club is different and perhaps until you find a club suitable to you and your family, take your boat to a Marina...not a Yacht Club. I like what Groucho Marx said (hope I'm not dating myself here),
"PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER". My unsolicited advice...Old or Young....a$$ holes exist at any age. If you don't like the flavor at this club, then move on as you have. I do agree that the average age of the "Yacht Club" set is getting older but so are you! Hang in there and you will be an Old Yachtie one day. Regards, Slowpoke
Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #93
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Lest anyone think this is becoming an elder-bash, we've been members of a club in Tennessee since the early 90s and some of the nicest, most welcoming people we know are many of the senior members. Like Slowpoke says, a$$holes happen in pretty much any demographic group you can name.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #94
Veteran Member

City: Easton, MD
Vessel Name: Happy Thought
Vessel Model: Mariner Seville 37/Helmsman 38
We belong to a club, Miles River Yacht. Everyone is nice and having a slip there is great. While I could nag about the french fries or sone silly rule or the other, it is a good experience and we have made many new friends. I think, being younger, that the reason the clubs seem geared to older is that older generally have more free time to do club activities. We don't because of work and boating in free time. The amount of volunteer work that these older members put in is staggering. I highly recommend the yacht club experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Happy Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #95
Guru

City: Trenton
Need pics of young wife....
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Lol

Old 06-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #97
Guru

We get between 30 and 40 new members every year to keep up our max of 600 members. We have a new member reception to welcome them in and learn what they are interested in boatingwise. After the meeting, the various committee chairs contact them and see about getting them involved. Invariably, the new members come up with an excuse for inactivity. As Predicted Log chair, I always get "I have to get the boat ready." The other chairs get similar excuses to not participate. What happens is that it's the "usual suspects" that run the club, not by choice, but necessity.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #98
Veteran Member

We're about the same size and your description of what happens is same. Not everyone who joins has time to help run the club.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #99
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Thought View Post
We're about the same size and you description of what happens is same. Not everyone who joins has time to help run the club.

And some of us just don't want to. For me part of the pleasure of boating is not running a business at that moment. I have no desire to be in charge of anything at a yacht club. Plus we're gone 2/3 of the time. So more power to those running things and petty arguments over things going on at the club are not something I'll get into. There apparently are some factions that battle occasionally but we don't even know who is on each side or what the battles are. Ignorance is bliss in this situation.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #100

City: Anacortes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Ghost, welcome are you the same Ghost from BE?
I agree with you as well.
Well stated...
Bill
Channeling my best Bugs Bunny..."aaaaaaay could-be"

If you thought the guy from BE had something to contribute, then yes. If no, then I've never heard of the guy, must be some kind of coincidence.

ghost is offline   Reply With Quote