My practices when it comes to sewage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Here's what I have done with sewage and my current practice

• I never dump any sewage illegally, regardless of the inconvenience.

Votes: 56 67.5%
  • I have dumped fully treated sewage in an restricted zone.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have dumped sewage that wasn't fully treated illegally.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • I dump my sewage pretty much anywhere when no one is looking.

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters
Goody goodies can fan flames on overboard discharging all they want.

Wifey B: If you call law abiding boaters goody goodies, then goody goody gumdrops I'm happy to be one. :dance:

And if not for environmentalists, you'd really be living in a much worse world today. Had we not done anything as far as protecting and cleaning our air and water, just think where we would be today. Without Catalytic Converters our major cities would not be livable (would be like Beijing and our waters would be like Brazil or Flint) and, we'd still be paying the cost, just in medical expenses instead of pollution protection.

I don't suggest for one moment that all the regulations make sense or do what they're supposed to or that we have a fix on handling our sewage or anything else, but I will do my little part and I will dump only legally and if that offends you and merits me the name goody goody, then I've been called much worse. :rolleyes:

Back to dumping sewage from the boat, I follow the laws. Simple.

All BS.

Few recreational boaters have type 1 MSDs.

So NDZSs affect few rec boaters unless they have or want to purchase a type 1.

That was my point all along and the rant only makes sense if you have or want to buy a type 1.

Which is why NDZS are mostly BS too...but only for that reason the way I see it.

Plus, my guess is most waterborne LEOs can enforce the discharge laws...they can in most states I travel in.

Last edited:
I think for the most part, no discharge zones are purely political. People other than boaters have been able to push local politicians to establish them. It's a "feel good" law like so many others.

When I first bought my boat I considered adding a treatment system, but I eventually figured out that that was a lot of money to spend on poop. I can pay for a lot of pump outs before I would break even.

OK, OK---I see where the confusion resides. Because my responses pertained to the sanctuaries of NDZ and those who are responsible for protecting those zones..........the various state environmental police..........it was those police I was referring to. They have no authority to police waste dumping outside those limits. I thought that was obviously clear I was referring to the environmental police

Near as I can tell, everybody and their brother can enforce laws about illegal discharges here in our area. USCG, State DNR police, county police...

You are saying that approx every other marina in New England -- or at least 2-3 out of every 5 -- doesn't have a pump out facility? Subsidized installation, low cost to boaters?

There actually is a very small NDZ semi-nearby. I think there are at least 4 marinas within that small area that offer pump-out facilities...

-Chris

All BS.

Few recreational boaters have type 1 MSDs.

So NDZSs affect few rec boaters unless they have or want to purchase a type 1.

That was my point all along and the rant only makes sense if you have or want to buy a type 1.

Which is why NDZS are mostly BS too...but only for that reason the way I see it.

Plus, my guess is most waterborne LEOs can enforce the discharge laws...they can in most states I travel in.

There are no benefits that I see to absorbing both the purchase and installation cost of a type 1 system. And you still confuse me with your above post

"So NDZSs affect few rec boaters unless they have or want to purchase a type 1."

We agreed that this system does not allow dumping so why spend the money for it?

Near as I can tell, everybody and their brother can enforce laws about illegal discharges here in our area. USCG, State DNR police, county police...

You are saying that approx every other marina in New England -- or at least 2-3 out of every 5 -- doesn't have a pump out facility? Subsidized installation, low cost to boaters?

There actually is a very small NDZ semi-nearby. I think there are at least 4 marinas within that small area that offer pump-out facilities...

-Chris

HOLD ON THERE RANGER! Please provide a quote where I said/made that assumption

I will be taking an old Lectrasan out of my boat to make room for a larger water heater if anyone needs parts (free). Not sure what works and what doesn't because I have never used it. I plan my pump outs and shore visits.

I think for the most part, no discharge zones are purely political. People other than boaters have been able to push local politicians to establish them. It's a "feel good" law like so many others.

When I first bought my boat I considered adding a treatment system, but I eventually figured out that that was a lot of money to spend on poop. I can pay for a lot of pump outs before I would break even.

First, I do not agree that costs of installing an internal processing system is a stopper for me AND HAVE STATED SO IN NUMEROUS PREVIOUS POSTS!

Second, IF YOU HAD THE SO CALLED ADDED TREATMENT SYSTEM YOU ARE STILL REQUIRED TO RID YOUR WASTE VIA AUTHORIZED PUMP OUTS or dump in an authorized zone, one not designated NDZ

This has been my argument though out these numerous discussions condemning radicals for prohibiting on board processing.

First, I do not agree that costs of installing an internal processing system is a stopper for me AND HAVE STATED SO IN NUMEROUS PREVIOUS POSTS!

Second, IF YOU HAD THE SO CALLED ADDED TREATMENT SYSTEM YOU ARE STILL REQUIRED TO RID YOUR WASTE VIA AUTHORIZED PUMP OUTS or dump in an authorized zone, one not designated NDZ

This has been my argument though out these numerous discussions condemning radicals for prohibiting on board processing.

I hate to get dragged into this argument but I posted that for me, it didn't make financial sense. Convenient perhaps, but not enough to justify the cost. Again, for me. You make your own decision based on your conditions.

As for treating your waste and then using pumpouts, that doesn't make a lot of sense. There is no "authorized zone" for dumping treated sewage, it can be dumped anywhere except in a NDZ. That's most of the water.

I hate to get dragged into this argument but I posted that for me, it didn't make financial sense. Convenient perhaps, but not enough to justify the cost. Again, for me. You make your own decision based on your conditions.

As for treating your waste and then using pumpouts, that doesn't make a lot of sense. There is no "authorized zone" for dumping treated sewage, it can be dumped anywhere except in a NDZ. That's most of the water.

No need for me to repeat my above response...........and don't play with words, if something is not prohibited, by default it is authorized

Wifey B: If you call law abiding boaters goody goodies, then goody goody gumdrops I'm happy to be one. :dance:

And if not for environmentalists, you'd really be living in a much worse world today. Had we not done anything as far as protecting and cleaning our air and water, just think where we would be today. Without Catalytic Converters our major cities would not be livable (would be like Beijing and our waters would be like Brazil or Flint) and, we'd still be paying the cost, just in medical expenses instead of pollution protection.

I don't suggest for one moment that all the regulations make sense or do what they're supposed to or that we have a fix on handling our sewage or anything else, but I will do my little part and I will dump only legally and if that offends you and merits me the name goody goody, then I've been called much worse. :rolleyes:

Back to dumping sewage from the boat, I follow the laws. Simple.

You are being presumptuous! Nowhere have I taken a position against protecting the environmental laws only radical environmental laws. Take the time to read my very many posts pertaining to my willingness to spend $3-4K for waste processing equipment that will allow dumping anywhere.

I am not in your choir, so don't preach to me!

I think that your poll needs a few more options to fully capture the situation. We never pump sewage overboard in bays and inlets like Narragansett or the Ct River. But I do pump overboard in the middle of LI Sound. A related poll might be: Do you have a functioning pump out nearby?

No name ;-)

The States of New York and Connecticut, with the approval of the Environmental Protection Agency, have established a No-Discharge Zone (NDZ) in Long Island Sound and a portion of the East River, extending from the Hell Gate Bridge in the west to Block Island Sound in the east (see charts 12339 and 13205 for limits).

(14) Within the NDZ, discharge of sewage, whether treated or untreated, from all vessels is prohibited. Outside the NDZ, discharge of sewage is regulated by 40 CFR 140(see chapter 2).

There are no benefits that I see to absorbing both the purchase and installation cost of a type 1 system. And you still confuse me with your above post

"So NDZSs affect few rec boaters unless they have or want to purchase a type 1."

We agreed that this system does not allow dumping so why spend the money for it?

No, we agree that a type 1 system doesn't allow dumping in a NDZ. Everywhere else in inland waters it DOES allow overboard discharge of treated waste.

The next time you find yourself in Massachusetts waters, please feel free to visit FairHaven Harbor. There you will find smiling faces ready and willing that provide free waste pumpouts.

Free yes, but they only pump Saturday, Sunday and holiday mornings between 9AM and 1PM. Now of course you may need to wait if you arrive at other times. There in the Harbor you will find moorings plentiful for your wait :lol:

Consider areas where there are over 1000 pleasure boats docked/moored such as the town where I dock. It provides only 4 hours both Saturday & Sunday mornings plus another 4 hours for holidays for pumping. Bang the drum all you want, respond with suggested solutions.....hire more people, increase taxes do what is necessary. Better still, save the money and just ban recreational boating. Folks, we do not live in Utopia!

Happy flushing! And I do have a 40 gallon holding tank that gets pumped!

HOLD ON THERE RANGER! Please provide a quote where I said/made that assumption

Thought that's what you meant in your posts 79 and 90, above.

??

Or did you mean in the end of post 90 that you DO routinely discharge at pump-out facilities?

I interpreted your previous comments to mean a) you're surrounded by NDZs, b) there aren't many pump-out facilities, and c) you routinely pump overboard.

No?

Oh, and a treatment system wouldn't be useful for you because you're always in an NDZ. (I think everyone got that part...) And that therefore a treatment system wouldn't be useful for anyone anywhere.

No?

-Chris

Last edited:
Some here are wearing blinders on several points.

If you live aboard in a coastal zone that is not a NDZ and there are no pumpouts nearby that regularly work or are regularly manned or are inexpensine...or are a cruiser who doesnt feel lIke pulling the hook from a great anchorage to find a pump out station...a type 1 makes some sense and probably why they are sold and used.

For all those that only see the world though their own narrow blinders...have fun beating to death a horse that the average boater does understand.

My type 1 cost about $1500 total with wiring and plumbing.....well worth it to me as pumpouts aren't close by.....both in terms of payoff and plain old aggravation for not moving.

If I home ported in a NDZ, I might not have gone for it, but in the long run maybe I would have for previous reasons stated.

But I am not so presumptuous to say what is right for me is right for others based on loads of bad info.

Last edited:
Thought that's what you meant in your posts 79 and 90, above.

??

Or did you mean in the end of post 90 that you DO routinely discharge at pump-out facilities?

I interpreted your previous comments to mean a) you're surrounded by NDZs, b) there aren't many pump-out facilities, and c) you routinely pump overboard.

No?

Oh, and a treatment system wouldn't be useful for you because you're always in an NDZ. (I think everyone got that part...) And that therefore a treatment system wouldn't be useful for anyone anywhere.

No?

-Chris

Chris--- Of course all ports have pumpouts around here and I assume in most harbors. I know of none that charge for this service although I typically tip the pumper $5. Here is the problem at least from my perspective pertaining to my locale. Pumpouts occur, most by reservation and only twice during weekends plus holidays. All are done between 9AM and 1PM. But I would not hesitate to take emergency action if a problem occurred while we are well out of the harbor. Never in any harbor, that would be ludicrous.

But think about it. A town with well over 1000 recreational boats with only 8 hours of pumping/week. Try the math. I firmly believe it is discouraging.

But think about it. A town with well over 1000 recreational boats with only 8 hours of pumping/week. Try the math. I firmly believe it is discouraging.

I agree completely with you here.

Originally Posted by foggysail

Let's substitute the word impossible!

If that is so in your area... why is there not a mobile pump-out service boat in that area making oodles of cash? I know pump-out service businesses that make good income. They service boats while in slips or at anchor or on mooring. Some boat owners have pre-scheduled pump-outs that can be done between cruises while no one is aboard. Mobile business also answers phone calls for those who have need while anchored.

One guy has two pump boats running. Brand new one he purchased last year was specially designed to best perform that service... I'd place its new build value in the 150K range. Nice boat... about 24' long with BIG Merc o/b to push it fast to next pump-out need and great suction engine for quick pump-out.

His service to us while anchored is $45 for 30 gal tank. Takes him about ten minutes from time he arrives till he leaves. Expensive compared to free pump at gas dock - when there is a pump hose available! But great to have access to when out and anchored for extended days of fun! For larger tanks he charges more than our 30 gal black-water tank. Friend of ours has 250 gal tank. Costs him $200. Pump boat is still completed in about 30 minutes. Pretty good money to be made with mobile pump-out boat!

Politics and laws... :socool:

I would imagine that someone would be making easy money if it was so easy....there are lots of smart people on both coasts.:thumb:

It is increadible what roadblocks that could be there....even if California is crazy wit laws.the politics back east are only bested for corruption by Louisiana and a few gulf Coast neighbors in my experience.....:eek:

And at $200 a pumpout for bigger tanks, a pretty good reason to spring for a type 1 unless you are in an NDZ. ;)

Last edited:
Politics and laws... :socool:

I would imagine that someone would be making easy money if it was so easy....there are lots of smart people on both coasts.:thumb:

It is increadible what roadblocks that could be there....even if California is crazy wit laws.the politics back east are only bested for corruption by Louisiana and a few gulf Coast neighbors in my experience.....:eek:

And at $200 a pumpout for bigger tanks, a pretty good reason to spring for a type 1 unless you are in an NDZ. ;)

Yes - We are deep in the 1000 miles of SF Delta sloughs... all NDZ. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom