My old article reprinted in Passagemaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Super story telling. I felt as if I was there with you. What an experience.

Next stop, gun cay, where it took out the LF beacon steel tower. Also, there was a small concrete house there, with even a poured concrete roof. Knocked down. Saw some ghastly sites at N Cat Cay, with multi-million SF on the bottom, only outrigger tips still visible. A compact storm, that did not do near as much damage in Bimini.
I was glued to Ch 7 TV in Miami. There were no damage reports until the helos went over Fl City, Homestead, then finally, Country Walk development. Major mess for months.

Next stop, gun cay, where it took out the LF beacon steel tower. .
Yes, this was Cat Cay as we cruised past in the dinghy a few days later:

Attachments

• HAimg18.jpg
    HAimg18.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 65
Wow, I just finished reading that, great story. So have you had to weather any major storms since then and do you think you still stand by what you said about staying aboard the boat next time?

Through the nineties there were storm but nothing like Andrew was.
Then we came up to the Great Lakes, in Bobcaygeon on the Trent Severn Waterway since 2010. We now enjoy the changing of the seasons, winters have been awesome up here.
After 30 years full time on the boat, we now live ashore in the winter, but the boat is still afloat on the Bobcaygeon River, 1/2 KM downstream from our balcony overlooking the fast flowing waters of Big Bob Channel.
Webcam uploads from the boat during daylight hours @
CruisingDog WebCams

Great story!

It's interesting to compare the storm "technology" we had back then to what we have now.

I wonder if there would have been less damage now given the advanced notice that the internet provides in information.

Thank you.
As far as internet provided information, I doubt it can be more accurate than what we had on SS radio back then. One would have to have weather fax and the knowledge to interpret the systems in order to better understand what is coming your way locally.

Back
Top Bottom