Old 04-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
Guru

Whats in a name

A feature article in the May issue of Soundings has done it, and came out unabashedly pronouncing that the definition of a trawler Is "any vessel in which you are comfortable living aboard for the period of time you have planed to". Well now that certainly covers house boats with no propulsion and almost any other form of boat since there have even been people who traveled and lived on canoes. This has to be the most politically correct none statement I have heard in some time. No doubt this allows the magazine to justify the very loose use of the trawler word by their advertising clientele. So should the name of the form be changed to The what ever boat you chose to live on? I am not a rigid purist but come on how far do you want to go? My personal power boat is in my opinion not a trawler. It is a semi-displacement express that just happens to be happy traveling at speeds usually associated with full displacement power boats. I see no need to call my boat a trawler. On the other hand if I were salesmen and trawlers were selling this week come and get your 30 Knot trawler with pod drives.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
A trawler is technically a working fishing boat. But in my world you can disqualify any boat that goes over 10 knots, and typically no more than 8 unless it is big. If you get called out on the VHF as "white hulled trawler" or whatever then you definitely qualify. A Sabre isn't a trawler, but boy wouldn't I give my left nut to own one...
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
A "trawler" is a relatively fuel-pinching motorboat with full living accommodations capable of being self-sustained for days, although originally (recreational as opposed to fishing) it was for such boats not capable of exceeding hull speed. Mine is slow and long-ranged with full living accommodations, so it qualifies.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Once you get beyond the definition of fishing vessel for trawling, then I think one definition is as good as another. To me, it's not defined by speed or hull type, rather I find it to be an attitude. A boat to comfortably spend extended time on, exploring and cruising. Doesn't matter to me how much area you cover in a day, where you explore, what speed you do it, or what size boat it takes to make you comfortable. We don't own a "trawler" as such but have far more in common with trawler boaters than other types. We like to explore and cruise. We have an extreme love of the water. We are comfortable spending extended time on board. Does it really matter if it's larger or faster or smaller? By most definitions a Sea Ray isn't a trawler but many Sea Ray owners use their boats no differently than Kadey Krogen owners. Do you eliminate Grand Banks and Marlow because they're too fast? I know Hatteras boats used in the same way many use trawlers.

It's a lot like defining a Loop boat. People do the loop in every kind of boat imaginable. But to me if you're going to do all or a large part of the Loop then it's a Loop boat.

I think the people on this forum share an attitude toward the water and boating that is far more similar than they type boats they own.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. e. Nothings in a name. Sort of like advertising a Ford Fiesta as a sports car.

From MW dictionary:
trawl·er

noun \ˈtrȯ-lər\ : a boat that is used for catching fish with a large net (called a trawl)

When asked what kind of boat I campaign I answer in one of two fashions. To landlubbers, she's a motor boat. To recreational boaters, she's a trawler. I've never been asked by a trawlerman but I would hesitate to insult him or her by suggesting that my pleasure boat is in any way akin to their working vessel.

From Britannica: trawler (fishing vessel) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

Actually ours was sold as a LRC. I don't think the word trawler was even mentioned in the original literature. Maximum speed 10 knots. Range in the neighborhood of 1500 miles thereabouts.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. e. Nothings in a name. Sort of like advertising a Ford Fiesta as a sports car.

From MW dictionary:
trawl·er

noun \ˈtrȯ-lər\ : a boat that is used for catching fish with a large net (called a trawl)

When asked what kind of boat I campaign I answer in one of two fashions. To landlubbers, she's a motor boat. To recreational boaters, she's a trawler. I've never been asked by a trawlerman but I would hesitate to insult him or her by suggesting that my pleasure boat is in any way akin to their working vessel.

From Britannica: trawler (fishing vessel) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

Actually ours was sold as a LRC. I don't think the word trawler was even mentioned in the original literature. Maximum speed 10 knots. Range in the neighborhood of 1500 miles thereabouts.
What he said. That's what I meant. +1
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Once you get beyond the definition of fishing vessel for trawling, (and so on) ...
Won't argue with that.