Old 01-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #41
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu View Post
Jeffnick,

Thanks for posting the story of you Florida trip. Good read!
Love your comments about running aground and big wakes.

Hope many more such trips are in your future.
Speaking of big wakes...notice how well Big Duck takes them compared to the Parker we're rafted to.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #42
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I've done some work on two McKinna 47's ?? I'm not sure they fit the OP's bill, but I liked them and the owners liked them too. Both came with Cummins 6BTA 370, and it does take running them hard to plane, but those motors seem to hold up ok. Neither boat has had engine trouble. Can't remember top end, but cruise was like 16kts?? I've got sea trial data that I can look up.

Another has a Sabreline 40-something, it has Cat 3126 and when I sea trialed it my opinion was it required running the engines too hard to get a decent plane. Sure enough, last fall he blew a motor.

Sea trialed an older Tollycraft last fall with 3208 I think 375hp. I was surprised how easily that thing planed out, pretty nice hull shape and it reached I think 24kts. Cruised awesome at 18-20. I can look up the boat if anyone interested.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #43

City: Cruising North Towards Boston
Vessel Name: Lemon Drops
Vessel Model: 2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
Ok, so my first question is what does “OP” stand for? On another forum, I believe “OP’s” are referred to as “RO” for Returning Offender.

We have looked at the Mikelsons and the Navigators. There are very few of them for sale. We have examined the one Mikeslson for sale in RI and decided against it for several reasons. I would like to examine a Navigator, but none are near me.

We’re currently reviewing the Saber and Saberlines for sale on line. They are beautiful boats, but I think we want something newer than our current budget allows. The Ocean Alexander 42’ collection looks very interesting. From the pics and video, I can’t tell how much galley storage is available. That would be helpful.

We are aslo looking at the Sport Fisher, although the fly bridge layout is not what we’re looking for. The Sport Fisher provides for a lot of the other needs.

Assuming BWI opens up by tomorrow, I’m taking a class and attending Trawler Fest in Riviera Beach this week. I’m hoping to see an opportunity there!

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Jim L
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:12 PM   #44
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
George

Were any aft cabin Hats of the era you suggest made without DD 2 strokes?
Some in the fourty ish range came with Cats. The big boys were all DD's through at least the 80's and early 90's.

"OP" means original poster, whoever started the thread. Again I caution against assuming that newer means better condition.

I was just reminded that the Offshore 48' "Yachtfisher" is a great boat that meets most if not all the criteria. Good build quality and design. Plus they are still in business.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Again I caution against assuming that newer means better condition.
That is a great point. Newer does not mean better condition. It's all about how the boat was maintained.

Newer does come with some advantages though. For example...

Newer boats will generally not have balsa cored decks
Newer boats will generally have solid surface counters
Not so many newer boats have teak decks.

Newer boats will generally have cosmetic nuances that are appealing. It's just like updating your home. Lots of stuff from the 70's for example might be perfectly functional, but it is not of a style that is popular today.

Then again some older boats are just timeless, georgous showcases of how to do things "right"
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #46
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimL View Post
We are aslo looking at the Sport Fisher, although the fly bridge layout is not what we’re looking for. The Sport Fisher provides for a lot of the other needs.
In that case, you'd be willing to bag the aft cabin idea?

If so... there's another class of boats sometimes called "sedan bridge" or "sport bridge" or some such, depending on brand...

The lower layout is generally similar to a flybridge sportfish boat, although usually with more emphasis on cruising compared to a "convertible" (cruising sportfish)... and these often have much larger and elaborate bridges.

Along with that, visibility aft often goes out the window, so to speak...

Lots of leeway in model names or types, depending on various manufacturers... but if that's worth a look, there a few representative models you might look at. 48 and 52 Sea Ray Sedan Bridge, 43 and 41 Silverton Sort Bridge... and probably almost all the bigger Carver "non-Mariner" bridge boats.

-Chris
Old 01-24-2016, 09:03 PM   #47

City: Cruising North Towards Boston
Vessel Name: Lemon Drops
Vessel Model: 2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
Chris, Kevin, George et all,

Thanks for the OP definition. It helps.

The yachtfishers do appear interesting, just not enough out there.

We’re sitting here looking at Sport Sedans and Sedan Bridge etc…. and the debate continues. We really are not interested in the Sea Ray, or for that matter the Carver or Silverton styles. However we do like the Mikelson and Navigators and Sport Fishers and Oceans. It could be the interior finish and styles that we’re struggling with. We’re looking more for a galley that is a working galley – used every day – think chopped veggies, broken eggs, fish, seafood etc all over the place vs a clean clinical looking galley. We plan to be cruising for months at a time and food and food prep is very important, as is refrigerator space.

Yes, the aft cabin is not a requirement, but more of a strategy to ensure two toilets – which the wife has mandated.

Wood or wood looking floor is a plus, but that could be changed.

Point taken on older vs maintained. I’ll observe this on my visit to Trawler Fest this week – weather depending.

Please keep the thoughts coming, this has been very helpful.

We appreciate your indulgence in the conversation.

Jim
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #48
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimL View Post
The yachtfishers do appear interesting, just not enough out there.

I've always thought the Hatteras yachtfish models would offer great potential, and those would probably be one series we'd look at if we wanted to move larger (assuming no winning lottery ticket).

Given that winning lottery ticket, the new Sabre 54 bridge boat might get my attention; the full-beam master is approximately the next most important improvement I might pursue. Although I'd still have to specify stairs to the bridge, not a ladder. Dreaming, of course...

You might have a look at some of the earlier Carver Voyagers. The more recent models are swoopy and tending toward Italian-esque, but the earlier ones are slightly more "traditional" designs.

-Chris